• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bigfork Defensive Pistol

LeMat

imported post

Next one's coming up May 9th.

I've got the stages laid out and it will be 60 rounds minimum (that means if you make all your shots perfect, you'll only need 60 rounds. Orif you're like me, you may want to bring about 80. ;) ).

There'll be 5 stages, each one consisting of app. 12 rounds each. All are scenario driven and two are taken from actual defensive shootings in Israel.

LeMat

imported post

Just wanted to add that we're not real hung up on wearing a cover garment. If you OC, you're more than welcome to shoot how you carry.

A couple of us will be shooting revolvers this next match, so the stages are revolver friendly (pretty much just one reload, but I'd bring a couple of speedloaders if you've got them).

If anyone's got any questions, please ask.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

LeMat, refresh my memory if you would: What date is the match going to be this month? I know I've got it written down somewhere at home, but I don't remember it off the top of my head!!

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I guess I could have read a little ways above my own post before I asked a stupid question!! Sorry, my bad!!
Now for stupid question number two: What time does it start??

LeMat

imported post

:lol:

We try to start setting up around 0800. Registration is about 0900, safety meeting at 0930 and we try to start shooting at 1000.

We're trying to get out of there sooner than we have in the past years (we were done by noon at the last one). I used to run 8 stages and we'd generally get out of there around 1500. When it starts getting hot, those days get long.

We usually have around 10-15 people and run maybe 2 squads if there are 15 or more. We have a good core group of about 6 guys that always show up and the others aregenerally new to the game. I think the reason as to why we have so many one-time shooters is that they get discouraged that they didn't do better, but they may not realize that we were all new shooters at some point. If you go into it with the proper mindset, it's some of the best fun you can have standing up. Everyone is real friendly and down to Earth. When we're not shooting (or taping and picking up brass), we're shootin' the breeze and talkin' about guns. ;)

Sure would like to see you there!

LeMat

imported post

MT GUNNY wrote:
August 8th Match. is it a Three gun or Pistol Only?

USPSA on August 22. Three gun also?

I'm waiting on an email from the MD in regards to 3-gun. Sometimes they aren't sure until folks show up. Good idea to bring equipment anyway. If you go to the website, Nat's email is under the Bigfork Defensive Pistol link. I generally don't shoot the Jul and Aug matches as they're just too friggin' hot. ;)

I believe the August match for USPSA is an Area Slot match. I don't think they'll be shooting 3-gun at this one, but don't quote me on that one. I don't shoot USPSA anymore.

JBinMontana

imported post

I couldn't make this last shoot, but will plan for this Aug 8th.

I will be shooting my G20SF 10mm Auto
272.gif

CVFD27

imported post

Happy birfday :shock:

Well, it was a good shoot - we had 12 shooters, up from July's 7, but down from June's 14. We had steel, barriers, barrels, movement, reloads...and a whole lot of fun!

The next match scheduled for September 12th. $7 if you help set up (8 am), $15 if ya don't, (be ready toparticipate in the 9:15 safety briefing either which way) then shoot...

See ya there... :cool:

Laramie

imported post

Sorry for the stupid question. I just shot the Bigfork USPSA match on Sunday and have shot up there before but only for USPSA.

How is Defensive Pistol different? If I shoot production with my XD9, will I need any other equipment to shoot defensive pistol? Is it scored/timed similar to USPSA? Thanks

LeMat

imported post

Laramie wrote:
Sorry for the stupid question. I just shot the Bigfork USPSA match on Sunday and have shot up there before but only for USPSA.

How is Defensive Pistol different? If I shoot production with my XD9, will I need any other equipment to shoot defensive pistol? Is it scored/timed similar to USPSA? Thanks

They essentially use the IDPA rulebook. BDP (Bigfork Defensive Pistol) is geared more towards, well, defensive pistol. ;) IDPA stresses shooting from concealment, but since some folks like to OC, you are allowed to shoot as you would carry while OC'ing. I carry concealed, so I always use a cover garment.

Holstersshould be ones that you would use to wear your sidearm in concealment or OC. Race holsters are not allowed.

Mag pouches are worn at about 9:00 or a little behind the hip, not in front like USPSA. Only two magazines are allowed on the belt.

Max round count for a single string is 18. Sometimes, a stage may have 2-3 strings. There are no "hoser" stages in IDPA.

Since you shoot production, you should be just fine with the equipment you have. USPSA Production was USPSA's answer to those who wanted to shoot their carry guns and not have to compete against the race guns.

IDPA is scored very differently. Depending where your hits are, you are awarded "points down" for hits outside of the center ring (1, 2, and 3). Your total number of points down on a target are then divided in half and that number is then seconds added to your raw time for that stage. So, if you shoot the stage in 10 seconds and receive 10 points down, you will have 5 seconds added to your raw score of 10, giving you a score of 15 for that stage.

IDAP also has......

1. Procedurals which will add 3 seconds to your score (shooting targets out of order, not utilizing cover correctly, etc.).

2. Hit On A Non-Threat Target which will add 5 seconds to your score.

3. Failure to Neutralizewhich you get for not getting at least one shot within the down-0 or down-1 zones of a threat target. For this you will receive 5 seconds added to your score.

4. Failure To Do Right is a 20-second penalty given for any illegal action taken specifically to gain a competitive advantage. A shooter who deliberately fires extra rounds at a target so that he must reload at a more opportune time (dumping rounds) is a classic example of this penalty.

Our group is pretty low key and a bit different than the USPSA crowd. You generally won't see any USPSA shooters (with a couple of exceptions) at the BDP matches.

Laramie

imported post

Thanks a bunch for the explaination. That helps clear it up a bit. I'm hoping to get up there and shoot the next one. I love shooting USPSA, but my purpose in competing is to get better with gun based on carrying concealed. Thanks again...

LeMat wrote:
Laramie wrote:

They essentially use the IDPA rulebook. BDP (Bigfork Defensive Pistol) is geared more towards, well, defensive pistol. ;) IDPA stresses shooting from concealment, but since some folks like to OC, you are allowed to shoot as you would carry while OC'ing. I carry concealed, so I always use a cover garment.

Holstersshould be ones that you would use to wear your sidearm in concealment or OC. Race holsters are not allowed.

Mag pouches are worn at about 9:00 or a little behind the hip, not in front like USPSA. Only two magazines are allowed on the belt.

Max round count for a single string is 18. Sometimes, a stage may have 2-3 strings. There are no "hoser" stages in IDPA.

Since you shoot production, you should be just fine with the equipment you have. USPSA Production was USPSA's answer to those who wanted to shoot their carry guns and not have to compete against the race guns.

IDPA is scored very differently. Depending where your hits are, you are awarded "points down" for hits outside of the center ring (1, 2, and 3). Your total number of points down on a target are then divided in half and that number is then seconds added to your raw time for that stage. So, if you shoot the stage in 10 seconds and receive 10 points down, you will have 5 seconds added to your raw score of 10, giving you a score of 15 for that stage.

IDAP also has......

1. Procedurals which will add 3 seconds to your score (shooting targets out of order, not utilizing cover correctly, etc.).

2. Hit On A Non-Threat Target which will add 5 seconds to your score.

3. Failure to Neutralizewhich you get for not getting at least one shot within the down-0 or down-1 zones of a threat target. For this you will receive 5 seconds added to your score.

4. Failure To Do Right is a 20-second penalty given for any illegal action taken specifically to gain a competitive advantage. A shooter who deliberately fires extra rounds at a target so that he must reload at a more opportune time (dumping rounds) is a classic example of this penalty.

Our group is pretty low key and a bit different than the USPSA crowd. You generally won't see any USPSA shooters (with a couple of exceptions) at the BDP matches.