• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bigfork Defensive Pistol

LeMat

imported post

This is my first post here, but I thought I'd start off by inviting folks to come shoot with us.

I'd like to invite folks here to come shoot Defensive Pistol with us at the Bigfork Gun Club this summer. We use IDPA rules and generally shoot from concealment.

I used to run IDPA at the club from 2003-2006, so I may have shot with some here. I'd sure like to see you guys come out to the range and shoot with us! We generally have 10-15 shooters and we'd like to see many more. Bring your carry gun, three mags, holster/mag pouch, at least 150 roundsand your set! I do not run the matches anymore, but would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Here's a link to the website:
http://www.bigforkgunclub.com/

Setup starts at 0800, safety briefing at 0930 (you must attend the safety meeting in order to shoot)and shooting generally starts at 1000. If you come and help setup and tear down, match fees are only $7.00. Otherwise it is $15.00.

And here's a schedule of matches for 2009:

March 14, April 11, May 9, June 13, July 11, August 8, September 12, October 10.

I'd really like to shoot with my fellow locals (and non-locals as well of course ;) ).

Cheers,

LeMat

40s-and-wfan

imported post

LeMat,

Good to hear from another local. Check out the 'Attention Flathead Valley Residents' thread under the Montana section. We'd love to have you join us as well!!

MT GUNNY

imported post

I Carry a S&W 1911! We like it when There is something Different to Talk about.

Do you think it will be Cold on that Day in March?

LeMat

imported post

We'll be shooting from underneath the covered portion of the range at the clubhouse.

There is a nice wood stove in there which should be going to keep us warm. ;)

I would definitely bring some warm clothes though.

I also wanted to say that the first match is pretty low-key. We're trying to get the cobwebs out from over the winter.

This isn't a USPSA crowd. Just a bunch of guys who like to shoot their carry guns.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

LeMat wrote:
OK guys, who's gonna be there?
I'd love to go but I'd have to watch as I don't have the ammo to compete as of yet! I will though soon enough! Hopefully by the next shoot I'll have enough to do so! Gotta have some time to break in my new pistol and get used to my new holster too!!

JBinMontana

imported post

I honestly can not make it tomorrow. As some know my income is very fixed right now, I can barely afford to go shoot my bow right now and that is for $5.00 range fees.

I just got 1,000 .45 ACP brass for free and can't load them up yet.

So my handgun shooting fun will just have to wait, until things get better. I just got released from TTD (temp total disbility) to PPD (perm partial disability) with a 6% imparment because of my shoulder, so now I can go and at least get a job if I can find one that fits within what they say I can do.

LeMat

imported post

Well, I wasn't able to make the match today (feel like a real horse's patoot after trying to get you guys to go :( ).

My wife came down with a real bad cough and we didn't get much sleep. I wasn't about to leave her sitting at home miserable while I went and shot.

I was thinking that some weekend in the next month or so, we could all get together and throw some rounds downrange. Be a good opportunity to get familiar with the rules and regs and just have fun.

If you go to the website, they also shoot USPSA and will be having a Shriner's Benefit Steel Match on Mar 28th.

40s-and-wfan, too bad you're not shooting a 40 anymore. I've still got some factory ammo and nothing to use it in. ;)

40s-and-wfan

imported post

LeMat, quick question on the IDPA subject: I carry my pistol in a Blackhawk Serpa Holster, is that allowed in IDPA? It's my primary carry holster and I don't necessarily wanna try to break in another one, or get used to another one!!

LeMat

imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
LeMat, quick question on the IDPA subject: I carry my pistol in a Blackhawk Serpa Holster, is that allowed in IDPA? It's my primary carry holster and I don't necessarily wanna try to break in another one, or get used to another one!!

I'm sure the Serpa is just fine. IDPA basicallyfrowns on "race" type holsters, which the Serpa definitely is not. You'd be just fine at our local matches.

There was a big blowup a few years ago when the rules changed. IDPA used to have an "approved list", but then just changed it to a set of guidelines that a holster had to meet. One of the new guidelines was as long as it doesn't sit too far away from your body (i.e., you can see light between the holster and belt) it should be fine. This caused a big stink with the Uncle Mike's plastic holsters as they made a perfect, cheap alternative for some folks, but was all of a sudden "illegal" under IDPA rules.

We're no longer IDPA "sanctioned", but we do still use the rulebook. There were times in which a shooter may have had illegal equipment under the rules, but I'd let them shoot anyway because he wasa new shooter and I wasn't about to turn someone away just because his holster wasn't "legal". Even a seasoned shooter, but one that was new to IDPA, would be allowed to shoot, but would be told about the equipment rule.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's a holster you use for carrying, it's fine (I've never seen anyone carrying with a Ghost, CR Speed, etc. holster and would pass out from laughing if I did).

You can get a PDF rulebook from the IDPA site. Just click on "About IDPA" on the left hand side and you should see "Rule Book":
http://www.idpa.com/

LeMat

imported post

Just a reminder that the next match is this Saturday, the 11th.

Supposed to be over by noon, so it'll be short and sweet. There's a Hunter Ed class scheduled. Not sure what the MD has in mind for this one.

I should be able to make this one, so I hope to see your smiling faces. I'll be the big, fat guy.

:monkey