• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled over and misinformed...

ACEllis

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas,
imported post

On March 4th around 11:30pm and about 20 miles into Colorado, westbound on I-70, I was pulled over for speeding. My mother was in the passenger seat of her mini-van when the officer approached on the driver side cautiously and asked for all the basic information and told me why he pulled me over. I informed him I was going to need to reach for my wallet that I was sitting on but I had to reach over the pistol on my hip do to so. (I wanted to be voluntarily straight-forward with the officer to avoid any altercations as well as see if I couldn't avoid a ticket through honesty and compliance. I knew I was going 10 over the limit for hours since I started my trip from Central Kansas. It cuts an hour off the travel time. :p)

He said I could go for my wallet but asked me: (May not be word for word, but context is the same)

Officer "Why are you carrying a pistol with you tonight?"

Me "Because I'm permitted to by the states of Colorado and Kansas. Both of which are open carry states as well."

Off "Do you have a concealed permit in Kansas?" (My mothers van had Kansas plates.)

Me "No. Colorado. Jefferson County. I'll be moving back to Kansas shortly. I live in Littleton and I'm on my way home right now to collect all my belongings and move to Wichita."

- I hand him all the things he asked for as well as my permit to try and calm him. He seemed to get very rigid when I announced I was armed. He tells me it will be a few moments as he does whatever officers do in their squad cars when they pull folks over.

My mother asks me when he leaves if she should tell him that her revolver is in a lockbox behind her seat. I tell her there is no point in doing so, and that I had another smaller concealable pistol in my duffel bag in the back of the van... if he feels like harassing us, he has all the reason to with one on my hip. More guns don't mean anything when one is present at all.

The officer returns with my $91 dollar citation and all my papers. He hands back my permit and proceeds to give me a soundbyte from his Misinformed Gun Laws 101 course.

Off "Just so you know, your permit is invalid outside of Colorado. If you look up the statue on the back of your permit, it will tell you everything you'll need to know."

Me "No it's not. I have reciprocity in, I believe, 23 other states. Kansas being one of them. I go there often enough to see my family to know what I can do."

Off "No, Kansas doesn't recognize Colorado. Only Colorado permits work here."

-I had to stifle the word "Bull@#$%" out of my mouth. Even if he was correct, which I know without a doubt that he wasn't, why was he having this lecture with me? I was 20 or so miles into Colorado, a few minutes west of Burlington. In a state where vehicles and private conveyance are protected, allowing you to carry a handgun however you please without the need for a permit. Especially openly.

Me "Not to argue with you, but you're wrong. Colorado recognizes only resident permits. Your ID needs to match the state that issued your permit, so anyone with their non-resident Florida or Utah ones are @#$% outta luck in concealing. I still live in Colorado for the next few days. I'm more than legit."

Off *nods his head* "Is that so?"

Me "Positive."

- At this point I thought I was about to be asked to step out of the vehicle, but he just wished me off on a safe trip back to Littleton and to keep from breaking the speed limit. He also thanked me for being cordial, just when I thought I was going to have to argue statue with him.

I'm not sure if it was Highway or State LEO, but it is really alarming to be "informed" of what I can and can't do by someone who should know better. In retrospect, I wish I would have just kept quiet about my concealed permit and let the fact I was open carrying in a vehicle be known to him from the get go. (My pistol was only covered by the fact I'm strongside right and the seatbelt rode over it some.)

Thought I'd share this run in with you guys to get some comments or similar stories. Not at any time was I questioned on mentioning open carry. As far as I knew the officer was never at the right angle to see my pistol or ever asked anything about it other than 'why.'

AC

entartet17

imported post

Usually out of any law enforcement agencies, State Patrol is the most well informed about Colorado's gun laws. Interesting encounter.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Colorado doesn't have a highway patrol, we only have State Patrol. At least that's how I think it works.... kinda like Cali has the California Highway Patrol but no State Patrol. It's the same thing both places, just a different name.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You need to find out what agency this was. State Patrol takes a great interest in making sure that their Troopers know the law and they would take a complaint like this seriously.

EDIT: 20 miles in on I-70 looks like Kit Carson County. You should call the CSP office there and see if they contacted you (have the license plate # of the van available to help):

Colorado State Patrol
Burlington, Post
PO Box 268
Burlington80807

If it was a Kit Carson County Sheriffs:

Kit Carson Sheriff's Department
251 16th Street, Suite 103
Burlington, CO 80807
(719) 346-8934

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

From my travels out to Burlington it's been my experience that I've only seen CSP on the interstate. Any city police or county sheriff stick to the city streets and county roads. I do know that State watches I-70 very carefully between about Burlington and Stratton....rarely did I not see a state trooper there.

daveit

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Unless he was telling me I was doing something illegal at that moment, I probrably wouldn't have even bothered to try to correct him.  But his stupidity would have bothered me for several hours after the encounter...that's just the way I am.

Educating people is half the battle.

Anubis

imported post

ACEllis wrote:
I knew I was going 10 over the limit for hours since I started my trip from Central Kansas. It cuts an hour off the travel time...
I wish I would have just kept quiet about my concealed permit...
If I were in this situation, I would be wishing I had been traveling only 8 mi/h over the limit. This would save almost an hour and $91. You probably already knew before this happened that 10 over is enough to attract LEO attention. I used to have a job reviewing hundreds of driver records in about 6 different states and never saw a speeding citation for less than 10 over (there could be a Barney Fyfe somewhere writing tickets for 2 over, but I never saw it).

I check my speedometer against a GPS so I know exactly how fast I'm going on the highway, use cruise control, and generally keep it to 4 over.

ACEllis wrote:
Officer "Why are you carrying a pistol with you tonight?"

It's best to say as little as possible to police. I would have minimized it by saying "Forself-defense, offficer".

All in all, however, not a bad encounter. I commend the officer for not disarming you, playing with your pistol,and putting all your cartridges in a plastic bag.

Don't be a stranger on our forum after you move to KS!

ACEllis

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas,
imported post

Anubis wrote:
Don't be a stranger on our forum after you move to KS!
Oh, I won't vanish from the Colorado part of the forum. I plan to return for the May BBQ and get in some camping with old co-workers in the same weekend.

I don't plan on perusing this matter any farther. I'm hoping my encounter (which I do believe was positive because I was never shunned for being armed) will cause the stopping officer to look into the laws I challenged him on. Thank you for the information, regardless, centsi.

AC

daveit

imported post

One year we drove from CO to PA for the holidays. I got pulled over right inside the Kansas border doing 88 in a 60. It was Christmas day so he let me off. He told me not to speed in Kansas anymore. I obeyed, but as soon as I hit the other side of Kansas and crossed the border I was speeding again. Hehe! That state sucks to drive through!