• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW DRUNKEN Shootout.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When you accept a CCW you take on a great deal of responsibility which generally would preclude you from having a drunken running gun battle from cars on the interstate. This is a horrible incident for all gun owners as it just gives ammunition to gun grabbers/banners.

Michigander

imported post

Luckily no one died, but they're in big trouble.

What they did is already illegal by several laws, and doesn't call for new ones. This isn't any anti fuel I don't think, because you can't legislate a felony away, you can only punish them. Like will happen in this case.

PT111

imported post

Michigander wrote:

What they did is already illegal by several laws, and doesn't call for new ones. This isn't any anti fuel I don't think, because you can't legislate a felony away, you can only punish them. Like will happen in this case.
It always amazes me at the number of people that will call for new laws after something like this where 15 laws were already broken. If the first 15 or so laws didn't work what makes them think more will.

Dustin

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Michigander wrote:

It always amazes me at the number of people that will call for new laws after something like this where 15 laws were already broken. If the first 15 or so laws didn't work what makes them think more will.

The koolaid makes them do it ....

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think it is ammunition for antis because when we point out that statistically CCers are among the very most law abiding citizens in this nation they argue back about these 3 drunken retards. In a world where critical thinking skills were still taught and developed in the government school system not a problem. In today's world it takes a large number of reported self-defense uses of firearms by CCers to counter one publicized grossly stupid act by a CCer. And for OC it is more damaging because the antis can say, "See, these drunken retards passed background checks and still did this. Can you imagine what will happen when we have all sorts of people running around OC who haven't been through the same screening?"

Dustin

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I think it is ammunition for antis because when we point out that statistically CCers are among the very most law abiding citizens in this nation they argue back about these 3 drunken retards. In a world where critical thinking skills were still taught and developed in the government school system not a problem. In today's world it takes a large number of reported self-defense uses of firearms by CCers to counter one publicized grossly stupid act by a CCer. And for OC it is more damaging because the antis can say, "See, these drunken retards passed background checks and still did this. Can you imagine what will happen when we have all sorts of people running around OC who haven't been through the same screening?"

Doesn't help the Black Community either.

How about the one picture of the guy who's eyes are closed :?

Michigander

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Doesn't help the Black Community either.

How about the one picture of the guy who's eyes are closed :?
The thing is, this is the Detroit area. There are hard core idiots of every race here, but there are plenty of black criminals and idiots around here. It's pretty easy to sum up; Detroit is almost exclusively black, and it is the most dangerous city in the country according to some studies. I'm not racist, and in fact I am one tiny part black, but it is what it is.

6L6GC

imported post

In a city where 90% of the people are black and 90% of the criminals are black and 90% of the people arrested are black , that is not racism, that is the law of probabilities.

Taking notice of that does not make you a racist, it just makes you an astute observer.

FogRider

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
When you acceptcarrying a weaponyou take on a great deal of responsibility which generally would preclude you from having a drunken running gun battle from cars on the interstate. This is a horrible incident for all gun owners as it just gives ammunition to gun grabbers/banners.
FIFY

FMCDH

imported post

deepdiver wrote:

Well, they wont pass their background checks anymore! :D

That probably wont keep them from carrying firearms in the future however, as we all know, criminals don't pay attention to laws, and if they are willing to shoot at each other indiscriminately on a public road in moving vehicles, then they certainly are not going to give a second thought to carrying a gun illegally.

This would have happened with these guys, CCP or no CCP.

PT111

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't worry too muchthat stories like these can be used by the anti-s.

Being alive and breathing is enough ammunition for the anti-s. In their minds, everyone is a latent criminal who would sooner or later misuse a firearm. They want everyone disarmed.

The problem here is not that these clowns make gun owners look bad. Thatwould be no different from saying all men who wear boots are bad because some Hells Angels are into drugs.

The problem is that some people believe in prior restraint on fundamental human rights.

The clowns in the story had a right to arms. They screwed up. Apply appropriate penalties after the screw-up. Who knows. Maybe they'll learn their lesson.

The anti-s can use this incident for ammunition. Fine. The whole reason we do what we do isbecause of the anti-s. If there weren't any anti-s, then pro-gunners wouldn't be active about guns.

If the biggest counter-effort I have to face is having this story thrown up at me, I'll consider the war nearly won.

Alexcabbie

imported post

The deadliest weapons in this story are not the guns but the automobiles. One bullet can kill one person but a car out of control and going across a median can wipe out several innocent families. And these morons were drunk on top of it??

Hells bells. These buffons were dangerous before they ever grabbed a pistol. And they are exactly the kind of folk that a firearm is probably the only certain defense against.

I can be careful about who I pick up in my cab and where I go, etc. What I CANNOT predict is when or if some a&*^hole drunk is going to veer across the center line and knock me and my passenger(s) into next week, if not Kingdom Come. Maybe this firefight was beneficial in that it alerted the authorities and got them off the road. Any you antis ever think about THAT??

Dustin

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
This isn't good for ANY Gun Toter.
3 Charged In Road Rage Case
Two Drivers, & Wife Charged After Shots Fired On I-94
POSTED: Tuesday, March 3, 2009

http://www.clickondetroit.com/mostpopular/18845266/detail.html#video

When you own a CCW permit, you accept a TON of Restrictions on your RTKBA.
Are you saying that if they didn't have a CCW then what they did would have been OK?
Can you please show me, where in my OP, that you derived that question ?

PT111

imported post

Dustin wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
This isn't good for ANY Gun Toter.
3 Charged In Road Rage Case
Two Drivers, & Wife Charged After Shots Fired On I-94
POSTED: Tuesday, March 3, 2009

http://www.clickondetroit.com/mostpopular/18845266/detail.html#video

When you own a CCW permit, you accept a TON of Restrictions on your RTKBA.
Are you saying that if they didn't have a CCW then what they did would have been OK?
Can you please show me, where in my OP, that you derived that question ?

I am just wondering what rights you give up by getting a CCW. You say that they have a ton of restrictions on their rights by having a CCW I took it that if they didn't have the CCW then they would have had the rights to shoot at each other.

I know you didn't post the comment below but I really thought that you had the same repsonsibilitiesto not shoot at people on the Interstate while drunk. Both posts make it sound that if they didn't have CCW they wouldn't have been arrested.

Two fellows driving down the Interstate having a gun battle is bad with or without a CCW. I can't see where having a CCW had anything to do with whole deal.

When you accept a CCW you take on a great deal of responsibility which generally would preclude you from having a drunken running gun battle from cars on the interstate.

Dustin

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I am just wondering what rights you give up by getting a CCW. You say that they have a ton of restrictions on their rights by having a CCW I took it that if they didn't have the CCW then they would have had the rights to shoot at each other.

I know you didn't post the comment below but I really thought that you had the same repsonsibilitiesto not shoot at people on the Interstate while drunk. Both posts make it sound that if they didn't have CCW they wouldn't have been arrested.

Two fellows driving down the Interstate having a gun battle is bad with or without a CCW. I can't see where having a CCW had anything to do with whole deal.
Oh I see. No, I was just pointing out that by having a CCW, you can draw more charges against you. b/c there is more restrictions placed upon Where/How you can carry concealed. For example in Louisiana, article 1 sec 11 mentions NO exceptions to the right to bear arms, none. The only time restrictions on firearms appear is when the law is in refernce to Concealed Handguns.

So now these folks are recieving EXTRA charges, b/c they were CCW permit holders and were drunk with their guns in the car;Charges that aren't or can't be filed against OC'ers.

There are also MANY other restrictions for CCW holders as well. They vary by state.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
When you accept a CCW you take on a great deal of responsibility which generally would preclude you from having a drunken running gun battle from cars on the interstate.
I made the above comment playing off Dustin's comment about CCW and it was intended as slightly tongue in cheek as to say a drunken running gun battle from cars on the interstate is irresponsible would be an understatement not just generally but nearly absolutely.

PT111

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Oh I see. No, I was just pointing out that by having a CCW, you can draw more charges against you. b/c there is more restrictions placed upon Where/How you can carry concealed. For example in Louisiana, article 1 sec 11 mentions NO exceptions to the right to bear arms, none. The only time restrictions on firearms appear is when the law is in refernce to Concealed Handguns.

So now these folks are recieving EXTRA charges, b/c they were CCW permit holders and were drunk with their guns in the car;Charges that aren't or can't be filed against OC'ers.

There are also MANY other restrictions for CCW holders as well. They vary by state.

If you are in LA and have a CCW do you have to CCor can you still OC? If you OC and have your gun will you be charged as if you CC ignoring the fact that what you were doing was legal if you didn't have a CCW. For instance can you OC while drunk but not if you have a CCW? If your CCW is revoked does that mean you can't OC from then on?

In SC OC is not allowed except on private property, in your caror while hunting or fishing. The law makes no distinction bereween OC or CC in those places. CC is allowed in all other places except the special restricted places with a CWP. In SC you do not lose any rights by having a CWP. You can lose your CWP but that does not affect your rights to OC.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I would like to point out that nowhere in the story does it imply that any on these fuctards had a permit.

Here is the misleading portion of the story.

Both Griffin and Hatchett were charged with two felony counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, operating while intoxicated and a misdemeanor CCW violation. Their bonds were set at $10,000.

Additionally, Griffin's 41-year-old wife, Lisa, was charged with a misdemeanor CCW violation. Her bond was set at $100.
The story says that they were charged with misdemeanor CCW violations.

Chances are that they were charged with carrying a concealed firearm without a permit.

Sounds likebad reporting if you ask me.