• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW DRUNKEN Shootout.

Dustin

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I would like to point out that nowhere in the story does it imply that any on these fuctards had a permit.

Here is the misleading portion of the story.

Both Griffin and Hatchett were charged with two felony counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, operating while intoxicated and a misdemeanor CCW violation. Their bonds were set at $10,000.

Additionally, Griffin's 41-year-old wife, Lisa, was charged with a misdemeanor CCW violation. Her bond was set at $100.
The story says that they were charged with misdemeanor CCW violations.

Chances are that they were charged with carrying a concealed firearm without a permit.

Sounds likebad reporting if you ask me.

Here you go,

qtip.jpg

Just kidding :p

Towards the end of the video, the female on the phone CLEARLY tells the 911 operator, that her husband did indeed have a CCW. Then it was later confirmed that THREE of them had permits. The wife and Husband in the Intredpid, and the single male in the SUV.

Not sure how you missed that in the video. :uhoh:

Alexcabbie

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I would like to point out that nowhere in the story does it imply that any on these fuctards had a permit.

Here is the misleading portion of the story.

Both Griffin and Hatchett were charged with two felony counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, operating while intoxicated and a misdemeanor CCW violation. Their bonds were set at $10,000.

Additionally, Griffin's 41-year-old wife, Lisa, was charged with a misdemeanor CCW violation. Her bond was set at $100.
The story says that they were charged with misdemeanor CCW violations.

Chances are that they were charged with carrying a concealed firearm without a permit.

Sounds likebad reporting if you ask me.
Sorry Sarge. But the video tv reporter definitely said they all had concealed permits. And the charge was carrying a firearm "while drunk" which according to the reporter is a "4-year felony" in whatever state that was. Still, even without a CWP these morons would probably have been packing heat anyway. And this EXTREMELY ISOLATED instance is a far cry from what the drive-bys constantly warned about as the "shall-issue" movement gathered momentum in the late 1980s. A CWP holder acting like this is - and no joke - rarer than a cop beating the crap out of a citizen or, let's say, busting into an innocent Mayor's home and shooting his dogs.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

http://www.freep.com/article/20090304/NEWS04/903040382/1006/NEWS/Rage+on+I-94+nets+3+arrests+in+Macomb+County+

Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel called it "the ultimate road rage incident."

"We've never encountered anything like it," Hackel said Tuesday in announcing the arrests of three people involved in a high-speed shootout along I-94 that waged from Detroit to Chesterfield Township early Sunday.
Arrested from one vehicle were Grosse Pointe Farms residents Dion Griffin, 46, and his 41-year-old wife, Lisa Griffin, both of whom were carrying handguns. Dorian Hatchett, 31, of Lathrup Village was arrested from a separate vehicle. He, too, had a handgun.

Hackel said the men, who were driving, tell different stories: Hatchett says that Dion Griffin, driving a Dodge Stratus, struck his Nissan Armada SUV. Hatchett gave chase and Griffin opened fire. Hatchett returned firefrom his .357-caliber Glock.

Griffin, however, says he never struck Hatchett's SUV and that he fired his 9mm gun in self-defense, Hackel said. Griffin was driving his wife and two adult daughters home from a birthday dinner for Lisa Griffin at 2:15 a.m.

One of the daughters crouched in the back of the car and cried to an Eastpointe police dispatcher after calling 911 that she didn't want to die, police said. Meanwhile, Lisa Griffin made her own panicked 911 call from the front seat.

Sheriff's Capt. John Roberts said the calls lasted about 10 minutes as the vehicles raced from Van Dyke and I-94 in Detroit to north of 23 Mile in Chesterfield Township. Both vehicles were going more than 100 m.p.h., he said.

Both men were intoxicated, the sheriff said, with Griffin showing a preliminary blood-alcohol content of .09% to Hatchett's .12%. Lisa Griffin also was intoxicated, at .08%, Hackel said.

In Michigan, a person with a blood-alcohol content of .08% or higher can be convicted of drunken driving.

All three have permits to carry a concealed weapon, but it's illegal to do so while drunk, so each faces a 93-day misdemeanor.

Hatchett and Dion Griffin also are charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and drunken driving. No one was shot, but bullets hit both vehicles.

All three have been released on bond while awaiting preliminary exams.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Impossible. I cannot be wrong. :p

My computer at work will not play videos, streaming media, flash... So I could not watch it.

I was only going off of what the story read.

My bad. :banghead:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Drunk driving and drunk carrying. Obviously pillars of the community. :uhoh: One can't help wondering how the incident and charges would have played out if one of the two men had not been inebriated.

KBCraig

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Drunk driving and drunk carrying. Obviously pillars of the community. :uhoh: One can't help wondering how the incident and charges would have played out if one of the two men had not been inebriated.

Or if Hatchett had simply not decided to give chase.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Luckily no one died, but they're in big trouble.

What they did is already illegal by several laws, and doesn't call for new ones. This isn't any anti fuel I don't think, because you can't legislate a felony away, you can only punish them. Like will happen in this case.
It always amazes me at the number of people that will call for new laws after something like this where 15 laws were already broken. If the first 15 or so laws didn't work what makes them think more will.
Lack of brainpower, and a hateful desire to subjugate their political enemies; instead of address the situation at hand. Nothing new.

TatankaGap

imported post

The video story said that they were all being charged with 4 year felonies for carrying while drunk -

note this is at "8 Mile & I-94" - if you've seen the Eminem film "8mile" this would be no surprise -

terrible incident, stupid people; drunk and disorderly - makes it hard for law-abiding people to carry -

IMHO -