• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CBL Properties Mailing - Is it Ready?

Is the letter ready to be sent?

• Yes, It is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not yet - Needs further revision.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

In another thread, we have been discussing a company known as CBL & Associates. They own a great number of mall properties.

Their 'code of conduct' includesa statement that all firearms are prohibited unless carried by a LEO in the conduct of duty.

Through some collaboration, we have come up with this letter. It is intended to be sent by as many people as we can muster on roughly the same day - thus flooding their mailbox.

Please download the letter, read it, and then vote above. Please also feel free to make any comments regarding further revisions.

The yellow areas are just areas that we have already changed during the revision process. The final letter that we mail will obviously not have these areas highlighted.

Once we have a positive vote on the readiness of the letter, we will announce a date for mailing. It is our intention to do this regularly (perhaps monthly?) with a new business. This is a first try, and we will see if it is effective or not.

Thanks for your time!
Ben

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I like the letter. You state your points clearly and it also has a very friendly "tone".

A small grammatical note: When using the word "Michigan" in a letter, one uses the word "Michigan" or the abbreviation "Mich.". Officially, the only time that one uses the postal abbreviation (MI) is when addressing a letter.

Just a question, not a criticism. Do you really want the company to receive a large number of letters that all look the same? I know a few people who work as aides for elected officials and if they receive a large number of letters that look like they are a form letter, they just toss them. Don't get me wrong, your letter could certainly serve as a model of communicating effectively. However, IMHO, if some who wished to write to the owners were to write their own letters too, it will have more of an impact.

Just a thought and yes, I will send them a letter this weekend.

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

Excellant catch. I know a lot of professional editors that would not have caught the improper use of MI.

I'll make the change.

I also agree with you that a variety of letters focused on the same topic would be even more effective, but in this 'campaign' I am hoping to see a huge turn out. Making it as easy as possible is the best way to get a big turn out.

Anyone who wants to change this letter or write one from scratch is certianlly more than welcome to do so. I would ask that everyone try to maintain a friendly tone and be non-confrontational if they do. Remember, although we want this change and certianlly can vote for it with our dollars - at the end of the day, all of us 2nd amendment activits support basic rights - and one of those rights is to decide who is welcome on our property.

Ben

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I agree w/ everything you've said... especially that numbers are important. If someone hesitates sending one because of what I said about them all looking the same, PLEASE SEND THE EXAMPLE ABOVE. However, if you feel you can maintain the friendly yet firm tone that Ben has, by all means write your own.

Great job, Ben. I'll put a vote in the ready box.

tygereye

imported post

Looking at the list of malls that this company owns, what are the chances of spreading this out into the other states? I am definately on board with this...

SQLtables

imported post

I like the letter.

As stated above, this letter is just to make it as easy as possible for all of us lazy Michigan people to get this done. No offense to you, but I plan to send my own letter. As I've said before, I already sent one to the Saginaw mall management.

Good work, and thanks everybody who helped for putting in the time and effort.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

PilotPTK. in the second paragraph, wouldn't it be proper to use law rather than code? Other than that it is a great letter and I will be on board. You have done an excellent job on this project and I did not give you proper credit in a previous post. I wish to correct that now. Thank you for a job well done. I vote yes.springerdave.

SIGfreed

imported post

So it appears we are not all going to send the same letter and I think this is a good move, but are we still going for the significant number on the same day approach? I believe thiswould make the biggest statement.

Dan F.

imported post

Would it be appropriate to cut and paste this letter so I may edit to add a few of my own comments? If we all feel this letter is most effective verbatim I will be glad to send it that way. I prefer to send a letter that isat least partly of my own composition.

Jonny008

imported post

Is it going to be an e mail or regular mail. I only ask because if its e mail and a "significant" number of people mail at the same time to the same place it could be looked at as a denial of service attack on there server.

Dan F.

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
Dan F.

Please feel free to edit-copy edit-paste to your hearts content. I hereby grant copyright in this letter to everyone and no-one :)

Ben

I think thisletter is an excellent idea. May I suggest we set a mailing "window" instead of a specific date?My primary reason for this suggestion is that all of the letters won't arrive en masse anyway unless they are all mailed from the same post office.

Thanks for permission to personalizethe letter. I have it redy to go!