• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thought this might interest some!

LeMat

imported post

The sad thing is that this doesn't surprise me in the least.

OK, sorry my friend, but you got me on rant mode.......:cuss:

I spent a few years running IDPA at the Bigfork range. Every spring I would plaster the county with flyers, run an add in the Mountain Trader, talk to gun shops, gunsmiths, got tables at the gun shows to get folks interested (usually they just wanted to know how much I wanted for the stuff I would have on the table - which was only there for examples of the equipment used).......

Know how many people would show up? Generally around 10 - and it was generally always the same 10. Six years later and I stillsee the same 10 people I shot with six years ago. Apparently there are only 10 of us who care.

In spring of '03, I took an IDPASafety Officer course and there were about 35 of us there. Know how many showed up during the next three years to shoot and help RO? One.......... yes, one. And he's in his mid 70's.

I got burned out big time - but even moreso, I became absolutely disgusted with the knowledge that we have a huge amount of people who own "defensive" guns andwell over 2,000 who own carry permits. These people don't care about improving their skills. They're happy shooting at pop cans out in the woods and thinking that a pie plate full of holes, shot from 3 yards, qualifies them to carry a gun.

I understand that a match can be a bit scary the first time. It's natural - everyone was a beginner at some point. But dammit, there's more to wearing a gun than knowing how to riddle a pop can full of holes. There's safe gun handling, drawing, transitions, reloads, target aquisition and presentation - I could go on and on........

So yes, the numbers are disgusting, but what's even more disgusting is the thousands of people out there who have a license and don't give a crap about knowing how to use their gun properly.

:banghead:

There, I'm done.......:lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If they are nervous about a "match" maybe they'll be more interested if you take the competition angle out of it.

"Learn to shoot more than pie plates!"

"Is shooting tin cans getting boring?"

"Want to practice some real-life bad guy scenarios?"

"Learn defensive pistolcraft likepolice use."

"Scenarios planned and safety provided by International Defensive Pistol Associationinstructors."

If that doesn't work, you may have to resort to the methodused in theLooney Tunes singing frog cartoon, One Froggy Evening---a sign saying "FREE BEER."

LeMat

imported post

Buddy, I have tried everything - except the beer thing. ;)

I know I sound like a raving lunatic in my post, but I really am a nice and quiet sort (JB will vouch for that).

The competition thing is a pretty moot point in our shoots. Most don't really care how they do as long as they do better than they did before. I can't really think of any one of us who honestly cares about "winning".

We're there solely to familiarize ourselves with the guns we carry as well as become proficient with them. For me, and others I'd bet, that's what it is all about.

I remember years ago, a buddy of mine after a match said "So, that is what this is for" - refering to his handgun. I remember thinking the same exact thing when I started shooting matches.

Anyway, I fear I'm dangerously close to getting off topic on this thread. ;)

Bald Eagle

imported post

So LeMat, are you still doing the IDPA shoots? I haven't been in the area all that long and got my carry permit last summer. Is there a cost to participate and how much ammo is needed?

MontanaCZ

imported post

It does surprise me, and then it doesn't. There are so many here that believe we are in no danger except when out hunting or hiking, and that is from a critter. I lived in a Shall Issue state with some rather large cities of over 200K. Our small town of 600 adults had the most CCW permits of anywhere in the state. We had 500 permits. Needless to say it was a very nice place.. :)

My 9yo started shooting defensive pistol last year, and did ok. We just go out and have a good time. I usually take a lot of ribbing. Heck, I laughed pretty hard last year when I could not for the life of me get the magazine in the pistol, at least in under 3 seconds. It is one of those things as I usually just slam it in not even a burp. I sure lost some time on that stage, but had a great time anyway. We have some top shooters show up, but I am there to learn what I can.

-CZ

JBinMontana

imported post

LeMat I feel your frustration as being one of the ones that took that safety RO course, and then having a work schedual that did not permit me to continue to do the matches. Then moved out of county in 2005 and then back again.

Maybe this year will be a better year for me to attend.

I got to get to reloading a whole bunch of .45 ACP brass :celebrate

LeMat

imported post

JBinMontana wrote:
LeMat I feel your frustration as being one of the ones that took that safety RO course, and then having a work schedual that did not permit me to continue to do the matches. Then moved out of county in 2005 and then back again.

Maybe this year will be a better year for me to attend.

I got to get to reloading a whole bunch of .45 ACP brass :celebrate

JB, you had a good excuse. We've shot together and I'll never forget those pepper sticks you gave me. ;)

I just wish I know what happened to the other 30 guys that took that course. :cry:

Rattrapper

imported post

You Fight Like You Train I seen this even with Police yeah I hafta to go to the range, They don't quite get it that when th O.S. Factor Happens, They will probaly fumble at best.

JBinMontana

imported post

Rattrapper wrote:
You Fight Like You Train I seen this even with Police yeah I hafta to go to the range, They don't quite get it that when th O.S. Factor Happens, They will probaly fumble at best.

We have those that underestimate our law enforcement here, thinking them some back woods bubba.... only to learn the lesson the hard way, and some end up DRT.

Rattrapper

imported post

We see it here in the east. Where there is not a firearms culture. We have guys who take the training seriously and we have others, Oh Well! It something they have to do twice a year, for a full day each time.

Gunslinger

imported post

40s&wfan wrote:
These numbers need to come up! It's sad that we're in such a minority in a state as open to it as Montana is!

Got this from Captain Crunch on another forum. JB & MT Gunny, you know who I'm talking about!!

http://www.progunleaders.org/MTCWP/
Neat map. But I would bet a lot of people in MT don't worry about a CCW because they OC regularly. Here in El Paso County we have the highest concentration of CCWs in the state by far. And OC is not a problem for those who carry that way. I would bet the rural areas of CO have a much lower % of CCW holders, but the same % of those who carry regularly. My guess is that applies to MT, too.