Thread: OC in the VA Science Museum or Museum of Fine Arts?

Post imported post

Has anyone OC'd at the Science Museum on W. Broad or the VMFA on Boulevard? Is it okay to do so?

Post imported post

Not sure about the Science Museum, but the VMFA is 100% ok to carry. I OC there whenever my girlfriend drags me along to go with her. Here's what usually happens:

The security ninjas ask me to leave. I tell them no. They try to get my name (the guy actually pulled out a notepad and a pen- I had to stop myself from laughing). I refuse. They return to their secret holes in the wall. They know that carry is legal/preempted there, and they can't do anything about it, but they still try.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    Not sure about the Science Museum, but the VMFA is 100% ok to carry. I OC there whenever my girlfriend drags me along to go with her. Here's what usually happens:

The security ninjas ask me to leave. I tell them no. They try to get my name (the guy actually pulled out a notepad and a pen- I had to stop myself from laughing). I refuse. They return to their secret holes in the wall. They know that carry is legal/preempted there, and they can't do anything about it, but they still try.
    Sounds like serious fun. Have you ever filled a formal complaint?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    mercutio545 wrote:

Sounds like serious fun. Have you ever filled a formal complaint?

Yata hey
    Nope. There was an article in the paper about it a while back though (not about me, someone else was carrying there and they made a big fuss about it). I remember someone started a thread on here about it, and I posted on it. It didn't really bother me so much. It was quite entertaining to see them scurrying about. They really do just come out of nowhere... I wonder where the art museum ninja training dojo is...hmm....

Post imported post

what is the vmfa?

Post imported post

6L6GC wrote:
    what is the vmfa?
    If you lived in Richmond you would know. How you ever heard of Google? It comes up as the first hit.

Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

Both museums fall under the jurisdiction of the Capitol Police due to the property being state own.

There would be one minor exception. The Children's Museum occupies a building just west of the Science Museum. The CM is a private non-profit organization. In other words they can control what goes on in their building. Also be advised that all of the above mentioned property has closed circuit cameras everywhere, inside and out.

Post imported post

I have open carried at the Virginia Historical Society right next to the VMFA. I believe it is privately owned, but I had no problems. It's worth the trip. They have an entire display about firearms made in Virginia in the 1700s and about another about firearms used in the Civil War.