• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Most Gun Bills die in WA Legislature

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For those of you not already on the GOAL mailing list. Subscription information is near the bottom if you would like to receive these yourself.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM
Subject: GOAL Post 2009-7
To:

GOAL Post 2009-7

Legislative Update from Olympia 27 February 2009

MOST GUN BILLS DIE AT POLICY COMMITTEE CUT-OFF

FIVE BILLS REMAIN "IN PLAY"

STIMULUS PACKAGE A HIDDEN GUN BILL CARRIER?

NO PUBLIC HEARINGS ON GUN BILLS NEXT WEEK

Wednesday, February 25th, was the first policy committee cut-off date. All bills that have not passed out of their original policy committee are technically dead for the session. As noted last week, attempts will be made to insert language from dead bills into bills still under consideration, but doing that is difficult. Unlike bills in Congress, where "riders" (amendments) can be added to almost any bill, under state law, bills are generally limited to a single topic. And any amendment must fit the title of the bill -- a narrow title limits shenanigans.

Focus now shifts to the House and Senate floors, where bills awaiting action in the Rules Committee are pulled to the floor and voted on. March 12th is the last day that bills may be considered in their house of origin: House bills must pass out of the House; Senate bills out of the Senate.

After March 12th, the process begins all over again, with House bills being heard in the Senate, and vice versa.

Five gun-related bills remain in play in the legislature.

There are a couple of state-level "stimulus bills" under consideration by the legislature. Some have expressed concerns that gun control measures, such as the gun show bill, may be rolled into one of these omnibus stimulus bills. As noted above, because of restrictions on amendments to bills, that is unlikely. Which is not to say that we can relax our vigilance. As the old saying goes, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. And she won't be singing for another eight weeks.

There are no public hearings on gun bills scheduled in the coming week. Again, all the action will be on the House and Senate floors.

BILL STATUS:

The following bills have been filed for the 2009-10 biennium:

Bill # Subject Sponsor Status

SHB 1052 Alien firearm licenses Moeller (D-49) H. Rules

HB 1114 Youth hunting age requirement Blake (D-19) H Rules

HB 1498 Involuntary commitment Hunter (D-48) H. Rules

HB 1604 Suppressors Condotta (R-12) Died 20 Feb

HB 1832 Firearms during emergencies Herrera (R-18) Died 20 Feb

HB 2011 Firearms safety education Chase (D-32) Died 20 Feb

HB 2065 LEO firearm certification Orcutt (R-18) Died 20 Feb

HB 2226 LEO firearm certificate Orcutt (R-18) Died 20 Feb

HB 2264 Gun show regulation Williams (D-22) Died 20 Feb

HJM 4009 10th Amendment sovereignty Shea (R-4) Died 20 Feb

SB 5095 Lead shot ban Jacobsen (D-46) Died 25 Feb

SB 5193 Alien firearm licenses Delvin (R-8) S. Rules

SB 5559 Youth hunting age requirement Kohl-Welles (D-36) Died 25 Feb

SB 5637 CPL renewal by mail for military Swecker (R-20) Died 25 Feb

SB 5739 CPL renewal by military members King (R-14) S. Rules

Key to abbreviations: S. = Senate, H. = House, HB = House Bill, SB = Senate Bill, SHB = Substitute House Bill, HJM = House Joint Memorial, Jud = Judiciary, Ag/NatRes = Agriculture and Natural Resources, Educ = Education, Gov Ops = Government Operations and Elections, NatRes = Natural Resources, Oceans and Recreation, StGov = State Government and Tribal Affairs

GOAL POSITION ON BILLS

HB 1052 SUPPORT

HB 1114 SUPPORT

HB 1498 SUPPORT

HB 1604 SUPPORT

HB 1832 SUPPORT

HB 2011 SUPPORT

HB 2065 SUPPORT

HB 2226 SUPPORT

HB 2264 OPPOSE

SB 5095 OPPOSE

SB 5193 SUPPORT

SB 5637 SUPPORT

SB 5739 SUPPORT

HEARINGS SCHEDULED:

None

LEGISLATIVE HOT LINE: You may reach your Representatives and Senator by calling the Legislative Hotline at 1-800-562-6000. Toll free!!! The hearing impaired may obtain TDD access at 1-800-635-9993. Also toll free!!!

1-800-562-6000 TDD 1-800-635-9993

OTHER DATA: Copies of pending legislation (bills), legislative schedules and other information are available on the legislature's web site at "http://www.leg.wa.gov". Bills are available in Acrobat (.pdf) format. You may download a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader from Adobe's web site (http://www.adobe.com). You may also obtain hard copy bills, initiatives, etc, in the mail from the Legislative Bill Room FREE OF CHARGE by calling 1-360-786-7573. Copies of bills may also be ordered toll free by calling the Legislative Hotline at (800) 562-6000. You may also hear floor and committee hearing action live at http://www.tvw.org/ (you need "RealAudio" to do this, available free at the TVW web site).

By reading the House and Senate "bill reports" (hbr, sbr) for each bill, you can see how individual committee members voted. By reading the "roll call" for each bill, you can see how the entire House or Senate voted on any bill. The beauty of the web site is that ALL this information is available, on line, to any citizen.

GET THE WORD OUT: If you want to subscribe to the GOAL Post by e-mail, send a message to "jwaldron@halcyon.com". Please pass GOAL Post on to anyone you believe may have an interest in protecting our rights. Better yet, make a couple of copies of this message, post it on your gun club’s bulletin board, and leave copies with your local gun shop(s). PERMISSION IS HEREBY GRANTED TO DUPLICATE OR REDISTRIBUTE GOAL POST PROVIDED IT IS REPRODUCED IN ITS ENTIRETY WITHOUT TEXTUAL MODIFICATION AND CREDIT IS GIVEN TO GOAL. I can be reached at "jwaldron@halcyon.com" or by telephone at (425) 985-4867. Unfortunately, I am unable to mail hard copy GOAL Post to individuals. Limited numbers of hard copies MAY be available at the Second Amendment Foundation book table at WAC gun shows.

If you feel you have received this message in error, or if you no longer desire to subscribe to the GOAL Post, e-mail "jwaldron@halcyon.com" and place "unsubscribe GOAL Post" in the subject line.

Upcoming WAC gun show(s):

Monroe 14-15 March

Puyallup 21-22 March

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

Article 1, Section 24

Constitution of the State of Washington

Copyright 2009 Gun Owners Action League of WA

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Ben Franklin, 1755

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Meanwhile here in Olympia an interesting battle is taking place. So interesting that the Senate in S-SB 5800 has passed an amusing bit of legislation.

First the back story. There is a little plot of land, less than five acres near Capitol Lake (which is an artificially created lake near downtown Olympia) that have been rezoned (to the annoyance of a handful of loudmouth moonbats) for 90 foot tall condos.

Well in the grand old Olympia tradition of pouting when they don't get their way, the nutters went up the hill, and found sympathetic listeners with our crazed local representatives.

Putting more import things aside (like ummmm THE BUDGET) our esteemed Senators have not only decided to meddle with the affairs of a city, but DECLARE AN EMERGENCY which would allow for this insane bit of legislation to take place immediately and probably make it harder to challenge.

Talk about abusing power.

So now SB 5800 goes to the House. I would strongly encourage writing your local officials and telling them to get on with the REAL business of state government, not entertaining the wild eyed fantasies of a handful of nutters in Olympia who dislike development and progress.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5800-S.pdf

sirpuma

imported post

Development and Progress? Building living space to put 10 families per acre? that's not progress, that's nuts. I'd rather there be a park with a lake, then a 90 foot tall, 60 unit condo where there was once a single family dwelling or a small park. Where the heck are so many people going to park? You can't pack people into land like sardines in a can, it doesn't work. You end up with more crime and other problems. People need space.

Now I don't think the state government needs to get involved, but the city needs to tell the developers to get bent.

Here in W. Seattle, we had a nice corner at Alaska and Fauntleroy that had a thriving Schucks auto parts store, a thriving fabric store and plenty of FREE parking for the other stores and bowling alley near by. Then some stupid developer bought the land, evicted the stores, dug a 60 foot PIT taking the entirety of the property then promptly had to stop construction of their giant condo plans because they ran out of money. Now, thankfully we won't have 500 families trying to park around a 2 acre lot with stupid, yuppie, foo foo stores with expensive nothings. But sadly instead of having businesses that I used to go to because they were close, we have a frigging deep hole in the ground and I have to drive 5 miles out of my way to get what I need for my truck.

It's not progress, it's madness.

just_a_car

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
Actually, no... This is Sparta.

this-is-sparta-7.jpg

Sorry, I just felt the need to interject some humor with a straight line like that.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sirpuma wrote:
Development and Progress? Building living space to put 10 families per acre? that's not progress, that's nuts. I'd rather there be a park with a lake, then a 90 foot tall, 60 unit condo where there was once a single family dwelling or a small park. Where the heck are so many people going to park? You can't pack people into land like sardines in a can, it doesn't work. You end up with more crime and other problems. People need space.

Now I don't think the state government needs to get involved, but the city needs to tell the developers to get bent.

Here in W. Seattle, we had a nice corner at Alaska and Fauntleroy that had a thriving Schucks auto parts store, a thriving fabric store and plenty of FREE parking for the other stores and bowling alley near by. Then some stupid developer bought the land, evicted the stores, dug a 60 foot PIT taking the entirety of the property then promptly had to stop construction of their giant condo plans because they ran out of money. Now, thankfully we won't have 500 families trying to park around a 2 acre lot with stupid, yuppie, foo foo stores with expensive nothings. But sadly instead of having businesses that I used to go to because they were close, we have a frigging deep hole in the ground and I have to drive 5 miles out of my way to get what I need for my truck.

Right now there are some one and two story office buildings and a parking lot. There is already a park all around the lake. In fact the land in question is pretty much empty. Building the condos on it would be a major improvement. Oh, and a park would cost at least 24 million dollars the City of Olympia does not have.

Whatgives?

imported post

Sent an email to join the GOAL list-serve. Can't believe I've missed out on it this long. Thanks for your efforts.

As far as the Oly issues around 'walling off the waterfront' goes, I think its safe to say that that who cluster-F is definitely a distraction from much more pressing issues.
I don't think condo blocks are conducive to a healthy community structure, but I can't stand the idiotic vitriol of yard sign wielding "moonbats," as SV puts it, either. :banghead: So it goes.