• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woodland Park Zoo

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

The family and I went to Woodland Park Zoo the other day(the day after the monkey escaped). I CC'd, but wondered if they allow OC or if any of you have OC'd there.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

just_a_car wrote:

For those of you who defend the legality of the WAC's gun ban on the publicly owned property that they lease; I'm sure your position would be defensible for the Woodland Park Zoological Society as well should they choose to do the same (ban guns).

My guess (following the same logic that the WAC uses) is that the WPZS as a private entity can enact any policy they wish regardless of restrictions placed on the actual land owners (City of Seattle).

"[size="-1"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Woodland Park Zoo Management
In 2002, the City of Seattle transferred management and financial responsibility of Woodland Park Zoo to the Woodland Park Zoological Society
. Founded in 1965, the nonprofit Society initially served as the zoo’s fundraising partner, but over the years has taken on an increasing number of responsibilities, such as marketing and membership. A 41-person, volunteer Board of Directors governs the Zoo Society with with 10 Board committees providing forums for information sharing between the Board and staff for various areas of zoo administration. The President and CEO reports to the Board and supervises all zoo staff. The City of Seattle continues to own the zoo grounds exhibits and buildings."

[/font][/size]

heresolong

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Owned by the City of Seattle: http://www.zoo.org/zoo_info/about.html

To answer your questions: Yes. No.
For those of you who defend the legality of the WAC's gun ban on the publicly owned property that they lease; I'm sure your position would be defensible for the Woodland Park Zoological Society as well should they choose to do the same (ban guns).

My guess (following the same logic that the WAC uses) is that the WPZS as a private entity can enact any policy they wish regardless of restrictions placed on the actual land owners (City of Seattle).

"[size="-1"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Woodland Park Zoo Management
In 2002, the City of Seattle transferred management and financial responsibility of Woodland Park Zoo to the Woodland Park Zoological Society. Founded in 1965, the nonprofit Society initially served as the zoo’s fundraising partner, but over the years has taken on an increasing number of responsibilities, such as marketing and membership. A 41-person, volunteer Board of Directors governs the Zoo Society with with 10 Board committees providing forums for information sharing between the Board and staff for various areas of zoo administration. The President and CEO reports to the Board and supervises all zoo staff. The City of Seattle continues to own the zoo grounds exhibits and buildings."

[/font][/size]
Except that reading your post they aren't leasing the zoo from the city. They are managing it. That is a horse of a different color completely.

WAC pays to use the facilities for a private use. The WPZS has been given the authority to manage. If preemption could be negated by this type of contract, then every political subdivision in the state could get around preemption completely by merely authorizing some non-governmental agency to do the managing for them.

just_a_car

imported post

heresolong wrote:
diesel556 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

In 2002, the City of Seattle transferred management and financial responsibility of Woodland Park Zoo to the Woodland Park Zoological Society. Founded in 1965, the nonprofit Society initially served as the zoo’s fundraising partner, but over the years has taken on an increasing number of responsibilities, such as marketing and membership. A 41-person, volunteer Board of Directors governs the Zoo Society with with 10 Board committees providing forums for information sharing between the Board and staff for various areas of zoo administration. The President and CEO reports to the Board and supervises all zoo staff. The City of Seattle continues to own the zoo grounds exhibits and buildings."

[/font][/size]
Except that reading your post they aren't leasing the zoo from the city. They are managing it. That is a horse of a different color completely.

WAC pays to use the facilities for a private use. The WPZS has been given the authority to manage. If preemption could be negated by this type of contract, then every political subdivision in the state could get around preemption completely by merely authorizing some non-governmental agency to do the managing for them.
See: Safeco Field and Qwest Stadium.

joeroket

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
heresolong wrote:
diesel556 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

[/font][/size]

The law is very explicit in that aspect though. It specifically spells out stadiums and convention centers that are operated by a municipality and that the laws cannot apply to a CPL holder.

just_a_car

imported post

joeroket wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
The law is very explicit in that aspect though. It specifically spells out stadiums and convention centers that are operated by a municipality and that the laws cannot apply to a CPL holder.
I realize that, you realize that and most people on this forum realize that... but the argument that diesel presented was not necessarily that of his own, but that of the above-mentioned facilities that DO ban firearms. So, whether it's legal or not is not what I, and I think diesel, are pointing out... just that the argument has been made, is being made and will likely be made in the future to ban guns from public facilities... as illegal as it is.

heresolong

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
heresolong wrote:
diesel556 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

[/font][/size]

We are probably getting off topic but maybe not. Are SF and QS not leased to the respective sports teams during the time that sporting events are going on? And do the sports teams then not gain private property rights over the property until the event is over? I think that this is different from the park. No one is leasing the park grounds in order to run a for profit zoo. They are tasked by the city with operating the zoo that is owned by the city.

wolf-father

I visited it today and the sign out front said no weapons. I thought it was privetly owned only e-mails I found were .org addess. But found under wedding section this.

"The City of Seattle prohibits food or beverage (including alcohol), weapons, cigarettes, cigars, open flames, confetti,
balloons, balls, bird seed, rice, loose flower petals, bird releases, butterfly releases, horses or horse-drawn carriages."

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Old thread, but I OC'd there last year no problem. Plus I remember seeing a thread that they follow state law. I remember commenting how somebody asked about OC, and the positive interaction that ensued.