• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here's part of the problem

kenny

imported post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090305/ap_on_fe_st/odd_gun_in_class_1

ThuMar5, 5:06pmET ROCK HILL, S.C. – A South Carolina technical college student was arrested after authorities said a gun went off in his pocket during class. Reports released by police Thursday show the 19-year-old student originally said the gun fell from his pocket and went off during class at York Technical College on Wednesday.
But reports show the man later changed his story to say he was holding the gun and accidentally pulled the trigger. No one was injured.
Police found the .40-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun in the trunk of his mother's car. Officers said they don't think he wanted to hurt anyone.
The man was charged with carrying a weapon on school property, carrying a pistol unlawfully and discharging a firearm within city limits. He's been suspended from school.

richarcm

imported post

Stupid is always as stupid does. I remember one time in the 5th grade I had brought a small pocket knife/wine screw to class but left it in my backpack. At some point some kid decided to go through it, found the knife and told the teacher on me. I was sent to the principles office and had to call my parents.

I also remember when I first started smoking I would keep the pack of smokes and the lighter/matches in my backpack...this was back in high school. One day the matches in my backpack ignited themselves and my backpack began to smoke! Between the smoke and the sulfer smell I RUSHED to the closest bathroom and made sure that the fire was put out. I don't think a fire was ever actually created or it went out as soon as it began. But how embarassing!

Sometimes kids will do stupid things or stupid things just kind of happen. Who knows why this kid had the gun. Its possible that his intentions were pure. But a kid can take any number of things to class with him, be caught and crucified for wanting to....oh, stab someone or catch a school on fire....that doesn't mean that automatically those WERE our intentions. Although of course that is how it will always be played out....sometimes kids are just stupid....or in my case, of course...stupid things just happen. :)

PT111

imported post

A little more on this idiot. Stupid is as stupid does according to Forrest Gump.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/579250.html
A York Technical College student faces charges after police say a gun he was carrying in his pocket went off during class.

Jeremy Moffett, 19, of York was arrested Wednesday after a semi-automatic Smith & Wesson handgun fired a round during a class in the Construction Trade Center, a satellite building on South Wilson Road, according to a Rock Hill police report.

Moffett originally told police that he fell asleep during the class and that the gun fell from his pocket and fired when it hit the floor, the report says.

He later changed his story to say he was holding the gun in his pocket and accidentally pulled the trigger, the report says.

After the gun fired, Moffett left the class and put the gun in the trunk of his mother's car, according to the report.

Rock Hill police Lt. Brad Redfearn said that the incident appears to be accidental and that Moffett didn't intend to use the gun to hurt anyone.

York Tech canceled Wednesday's classes at the Wilson Street facility after the incident and suspended Moffett pending the outcome of a disciplinary hearing, according to a statement from the college.

Moffett was charged with carrying a weapon on school property, carrying a pistol unlawfully and discharging a firearm within city limits.

LEO 229

imported post

This story will certainly help all those who are opposed to guns in the classroom prove their case.

He certainly could have caused an injury to a fellow classmate for his negligence.

I suspect he was molesting his gun while in class and "it just went off" :uhoh:

kenny

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
This story will certainly help all those who are opposed to guns in the classroom prove their.

He certainly could have caused an injury to a fellow classmate for his negligence.

or he was getting off.

LEO 229

imported post

kenny wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
This story will certainly help all those who are opposed to guns in the classroom prove their case.

or he was getting off.
:lol:

leprechaun117

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
If carrying a gun on campus were allowed and accepted, he wouldn't have had to hide it in his pocket in the first place.

The guy was 19, it's a safe bet this wasn't a K-12 school (assuming he wasn't held back) His posession of a gun on school property would not have been illegal in Virginia. Illegally concealed yes, posessed, no.

kle

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
If carrying a gun on campus were allowed and accepted, he wouldn't have had to hide it in his pocket in the first place.
I think we're a long ways off from seeing that happen again -- the CEO of my company, a retired Army Colonel, came to me after the VT shootings and related that back in his day (i.e. 40 years ago) his college in Texas would have "cowboy days" where everyone would bring their guns and wear them openly-holstered in class. They didn't worry about school shootings, and if anyone had any beef with someone else, they'd settle it with fists and leave their guns in their trucks, and then go out for a beer afterwards. "Times have sure changed," he told me.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, obviously, this is a political set-up. This kid is a liberal trying to make it harder to get CC on campus made legal, by illegally bringing an illegally concealedfirearm to class and illegally discharging it in the classroom.

Have the rest of you ever noticed that liberals rarely worry about criminal charges when it comes to pushing their agenda. If they can't get things done through legal channels, they resort to illegal schemes.

NightOwl

imported post

Not for lack of trying though. We've legislated her out of the equation a bit too often, in my opinion.

For example, if someone feels the need to eat Preparation H, then as far as I'm concerned, more power to them. Let's get that "do not eat" taken off the label, what do ya say?

PT111

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:

The guy was 19, it's a safe bet this wasn't a K-12 school (assuming he wasn't held back) His posession of a gun on school property would not have been illegal in Virginia. Illegally concealed yes, posessed, no.

A South Carolina technical college student was arrested after authorities said a gun went off in his pocket during class. Reports released by police Thursday show the 19-year-old student originally said the gun fell from his pocket and went off during class at York Technical College on Wednesday
It is a two year community college.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Jesus what an IDIOT! This kid just made a huge mistake. Are any of those charges felonies?