Thread: First Anti-Gun sticker

Post imported post

Ran into my first one last night. Family Dollar store has nice sticker which basically says you are not allowed to carry on Family Dollar property blah blah EVEN if you have a Legally issued permit to do so. SO,, no more of my dollars for anti-Family Dollar.

Matt

Post imported post

I'll be dropping by a Family Dollar today in Baton Rouge while doing my payday shopping. I'll look for a sticker but chances are, even if I see one I'm still going to to my business until a manager personally asks me to piss off. I'll also be going to Hancock Bank which has never had a problem with me OCing inside their branches, Winn-Dixie, Albertsons, Harvest AG supermarket in Dutchtown and possibley a Dollar General store too. Hitting the sales items and paying bills. I will have my Star BM 9mm in a leather belt slide hoster on my hip the whole time.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    The Car Quest auto paint store on Greenwell Springs Road USED to have one.
    As I went to enter, the sticker caught my eye, I hesitated to read it. While doing so, an employee came to the door, asked if he could help me. When I told him I couldn't enter due to the sticker, he peeled it off, opened the door further, said "come on in !" Spent some money to get what I needed, a win/win situation.
    One sticker down, thousands to go.
    Nice job, quick thinking

Post imported post

yale wrote:
    I'll be dropping by a Family Dollar today in Baton Rouge while doing my payday shopping. I'll look for a sticker but chances are, even if I see one I'm still going to to my business until a manager personally asks me to piss off. I'll also be going to Hancock Bank which has never had a problem with me OCing inside their branches, Winn-Dixie, Albertsons, Harvest AG supermarket in Dutchtown and possibley a Dollar General store too. Hitting the sales items and paying bills. I will have my Star BM 9mm in a leather belt slide hoster on my hip the whole time.
    I thought about going on in but didn't. The reason is this. One, they do not get my money. This is important cause this is where it hurts. If anyone asks, or if I remember while talking, I say I do not shop there because of this. Two, in the end we lose, and will have to leave. By not going in, I deny them that small, albiet BS self important feeling of victory.

Matt

Post imported post

Just remember that unless you write a letter, give a call, or ask to talk to a manager about the situation they won't even realize that they lost some business due to one of their policies. There needs some sort of communication. This may not change their mind, but it very well may.

Post imported post

whoopingllama wrote:
    Just remember that unless you write a letter, give a call, or ask to talk to a manager about the situation they won't even realize that they lost some business due to one of their policies. There needs some sort of communication. This may not change their mind, but it very well may.
    Roger that, you have to let them know.

Post imported post

The Family Dollar in Baton Rouge on Burbank near Bluebonnet did not have any anti-gun stickers.

I had a good day running to several stores around town and had nothing but positive encounters. Even had someone ask about needing a permit and a customer in line behind me told the guy that one wasn't needed to open carry. I guess the guy behind me had seen the WBRZ news report. I passed on the OCDO website URL to the guy who asked the question.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

yale wrote:
    The Family Dollar in Baton Rouge on Burbank near Bluebonnet did not have any anti-gun stickers.

I had a good day running to several stores around town and had nothing but positive encounters. Even had someone ask about needing a permit and a customer in line behind me told the guy that one wasn't needed to open carry. I guess the guy behind me had seen the WBRZ news report. I passed on the OCDO website URL to the guy who asked the question.
    Well, TV still works for getting the message out, right guys?

I have to say, I really like Mark's story. Maybe we can adopt that method and stand right outside of places wearing plaintive, longing looks on our faces until they give in and take down their stickers!

Even the CC only crowd would like THAT result.

Post imported post

My letter to FAMILY DOLLAR.

Dear Sir/Madam,
    There are many of your stores in South Louisiana. I frequent your stores many times in a week as I travel as a salesman. It has come to my attention that you do not allow concealed carry permit holders to carry in your stores. This policy has caused me to discontinue purchasing in your stores. I have also and will continue to notify my friends, and relatives about your policy and ask them also to discontinue their patronage.
    Thanks,

Post imported post

Point well taken.

I noticed my wording after composing letter and sending.

Nice motorcycle Mark.

Post imported post

I went to the Family Dollar in Laplace today,& I didn't see any sign.I carried the whole time I was there,with no problems.

I don't know why some do & some dont?(have the signs about carrying)

Post imported post

I wonder if it's up to the local manager? Does anyone know if this is an independently owned franchise type of business or are these corporately owned?

Post imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
    I wonder if it's up to the local manager? Does anyone know if this is an independently owned franchise type of business or are these corporately owned?
    Good question. Since I now know others do not have it, I will stop by and ask them.

Matt

Post imported post

I don't ask, I just walk in. If someone has a problem, then we can discuss it, if that person is capable of discussion.
    Yep.

If there is no signs posted, I walk right in.

If there are signs posted, I take my business else where.

Post imported post

I don't ask, I just walk in. If someone has a problem, then we can discuss it, if that person is capable of discussion.
    That's what I am going to do. I meant that I am going to ask the manger, "how come you have a sticker and the other stores do not?" I will find out if they are franchise, or corporate run. Then I will know exactly who to send the letter to. I will post where the letter goes in case there exists some other concerned citizens around.

R/
    Matt

Post imported post

I stopped by the Family Dollar store in question. I waited inline for the cashier who turned out to be the manager. When asked why the sticker here and not at the others, she thought it must be the local cops requirement. When I explained that was not so, she said it must be headquarters. I said others have checked around the state and there were no others. She is now going to call district and find out why. She was really nice, and didn't think there needed to be a sign, as she thinks it is wrong too. She said maybe it was for their (the employees) protection. I said wouldn't you be safer if an armed person came in, and other like me would be there to offer protection? She said, I guess we would. First step out of the way.

Matt

Post imported post

It is a small one in the Harvest Food shopping center, right across the street from the paper mill. I don't have a store number. She asked me to stop back by to see what she has found out. I can ask for the store number then.

Post imported post

Well handled, Matt.

Post imported post

whoopingllama wrote:
    Ideally you load up a huge cart of stuff and push it around for a bit, then if they ask you to leave you leave the cart where it sits and some schmuck has to put all the stuff back on the shelves.

Post imported post

Went back to this store finally. Walked in and sought out manager. Ginger decided to do some shopping. Mananger said the main office said it is store policy. So I am not sure why there are no other stickers, unless the local folks just pulled them down or whichever. She suggested we log on an email themain folks. Here is a link http://www.familydollar.com/contactus.aspx.

Corportate is in North Carolina.

Manger never asked me to leave, helped Ginger with a cheap grill, and offered a busted bag of charcoal to me half price. If that remains the case, I will shop there.

Matt

Post imported post

I just filled out the form letting them know that myself, my family and relatives, and the large community of Gun Carryers here in South Louisiana will no longer be shopping at FD if they maintain this policy!