Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gun Lobby Outvotes D.C.

Post imported post

Duct tape alert!

Source

The measure to at long last allow District of Columbia residents a voting member in the House has run afoul of the gun lobby that is determined to deny Washington another fundamental right: to regulate firearms.

The Senate approved the bill, but only after a callow roster, including a significant number of Democrats, caved in to the lobby and attached an amendment that would strike down the city’s reasonable laws for gun registration and trigger locks and its ban on assault weapons and sniper rifles.

The gun lobby’s malevolence now extends to the House, where Democratic leaders suddenly pulled back a clean bill. The leadership is agonizing, trying to convince Democrats from pro-gun districts to resist gun lobby pressure for the dangerous amendment. “This is Democratic members doing something to kill a basic civil rights bill,” Eleanor Holmes Norton, the city’s nonvoting House delegate, complained to The Hill newspaper.

The Supreme Court struck down Washington’s ban on handguns in the home last June. The same decision found that local government can impose reasonable gun restrictions.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi is in a political bind that calls for true leadership in reminding her members of the basic principle of representative government that’s at stake. Unfortunately, she made clear the Democrats’ wariness over gun control in demurring from Attorney General Eric Holder’s call to eventually restore the federal ban on assault weapons. “We need to enforce the laws we have right now,” she said, parroting the pro-gun line.

Ms. Pelosi, who has championed Washington’s cause, should not allow the gun lobby to deny the district’s taxpaying citizens their right to a vote in the House — or their right to safer homes and streets.

Post imported post

How, exactly, is it the GOVERNMENT'S FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT to regulate firearms?

That is contradictory in its entirety to the FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT of the people to keep and bear arms.

Governments don't have rights. They have responsibilities and duties. Most of those should involve protecting the rights of the people.

Simply ludicrous.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Governments don't have rights
    That's what I thought! Apparently we're both just a couple of "Constitutional extremists."

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    Governments don't have rights
    That's what I thought! Apparently we're both just a couple of "Constitutional extremists."
    Me Three, and the other thousands of members here too.

Never thought I'd be an extrememist. I kinda like the phrase.

Post imported post

The NY Times.....it figures.:quirky

Onlythe Presscan get away with printing lies under the guise of an opinion.

Thank God for the First Amendment.

Post imported post

Just allow DC residents the right to own guns without onerous restrictions, and the problem would vanish like Teddy Kennedy's last gin soaked braincell.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    In another day and time (fast-again approaching) we would be known as PATRIOTS.

But hush-hush... we don't want people to know what we're on about or they might want in on it!
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Governments don't have rights. People have rights. Governments have powers and authority, which is delegated to them by the people.

The Bill of Rights does not limit our rights to those specifically enumerated. It limits the power of government to control the free exercise of our rights.

I guess nobody told that guy.

Post imported post

This is a prime example of liberal educated fuzzythink. Goverment (this one at least) has no Rights... fundamental or otherwise. Government has duties and responsibilities to the PEOPLE who established/elected it... but no RIGHTS!

This is just another example of the obfuscation that has taken place in the education system abbrogating the actual rights of the peoplefor some sort of governmental permission to exercise them. This isn't mere semantics... it's a whole thought process that's been subverted and eroded by the liberal (MARXIST) education system and useful idiot MSM fellow travelers for the past 40 years or more.

Post imported post

Besides the vomit-inducing "fundemental right of (the city government of)Washington" aspect of the article, I'm glad to hear that the Senate "caved in" to the "gun lobby" (ie: "Freedom loving Constitutionalists"). Hopefully the blue dog dems with the repubs will get the House to "cave" as well.

Post imported post

Pointing out this kind of drivel from the New York Times is sort of like putting up barriers, cones, and yellow tape around a pile of Great Dane dog-do.

Or maybe like pointing out the rash on a smallpox case.

Or even like standing at the edge of the river and shouting "water!!"

By this time I bet I could make up a boilerplate news article with blanks to insert certain key phrases and from that generate every gun-related "article" the NY Times ever has or will put on the newsstands.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The Senate approved the bill, but only after a callow roster, including a significant number of Democrats, caved in to the lobby and attached an amendment that would strike down the city’s reasonable (more like UN-reasonable)laws for gun registration and trigger locks and its ban on assault weapons and sniper rifles.
    I don't recall any of the DC gunrestrictions as being reasonable.

What voting rights? The residents of DC do not have any Constitutional voting rights in either the US Senate or HoR. DC is not a state and thereforethe residents donot have a right to representation in Congress. At least that's the way I understand the Constitution.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    The Senate approved the bill, but only after a callow roster, including a significant number of Democrats, caved in to the lobby and attached an amendment that would strike down the city’s reasonable (more like UN-reasonable)laws for gun registration and trigger locks and its ban on assault weapons and sniper rifles.

What voting rights? The residents of DC do not have any Constitutional voting rights in either the US Senate or HoR. DC is not a state and thereforethe residents donot have a right to representation in Congress. At least that's the way I understand the Constitution.
    Well yeah, but that is because you read what is actually written in the Constitution without taking into account that it is a living breathing document meaning that anything in it can be reinterpreted at will to meet any political agenda that comes down the pike.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    In another day and time (fast-again approaching) we would be known as PATRIOTS.
    but before we can be known as "patriots" again, we must first be known as extremists, then as insurgents, then even "rebels". only then can the ones who survive be remembered as "patriots"

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    Ms. Pelosi, who has championed Washington’s cause, should not allow the gun lobby to deny the district’s taxpaying citizens their right to a vote in the House -or their right to safer homes and streets.
    I guess the paper of making up the record has missed the fact that under the pre-Heller D.C. gun laws the people of D.C. did not have "safer homes and streets". Far from it.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

If the Constitution does not allow the legislative process to give DC residents greater voting rights, then the Constitution burped, and needs to be fixed.

I hope the legislation passes: if it is overturned by the Supreme Court, I hope DC gets its voting rights by amendment.

Post imported post

Either civics wasn't taught in all gov't schools or some people weren't paying attention. We learned that DC was intentionally not a state and did not have congressional representation in 5-6 grade civics class. The constitution did not "burp" in this regard. Actually, DC residents did not even have a vote in presidential elections until around 1960 by constitutional amendment.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    Either civics wasn't taught in all gov't schools or some people weren't paying attention. We learned that DC was intentionally not a state and did not have congressional representation in 5-6 grade civics class. The constitution did not "burp" in this regard. Actually, DC residents did not even have a vote in presidential elections until around 1960 by constitutional amendment.
    Just look at the sewer DC has become with Home Rule.

Bad idea to give that crowd a vote, even by amendment.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

DC was never meant to be a city either. the constitution specifically lays out what DC was meant to be, which is a District. it was meant to be a meeting place for the seat of government, and to be used for that purpose alone.

Interestingly enough ( for those of us who still give a damn about the constitution), the constitution authorizes that this district shall be a size "not exceeding Ten miles squared", yet according to Wikipedia, DC is actually:

Area

-City
    68.3sqmi(177.0km2)

-Land
    61.4sqmi(159.0km2)

- Water
    6.9sqmi(18.0km2)

anyone see something wrong here?

Post imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
    DC was never meant to be a city either. the constitution specifically lays out what DC was meant to be, which is a District. it was meant to be a meeting place for the seat of government, and to be used for that purpose alone.

Interestingly enough ( for those of us who still give a damn about the constitution), the constitution authorizes that this district shall be a size "not exceeding Ten miles squared", yet according to Wikipedia, DC is actually:

Area

-City
    68.3sqmi (177.0km2)

-Land
    61.4sqmi (159.0km2)

- Water
    6.9sqmi (18.0km2)

anyone see something wrong here?
    "Ten miles squared" is 100 square miles. Looks like they have 31.7 square miles to spare.

TFred

Post imported post

Keeping the language of the second amendment in mind, especially the term "infringed", I can't seem to come up with what may be called a "reasonable" gun law.

Can any of you?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

TFRED has it. "Ten Miles square"[d]. It's 100 square miles. Here's an interesting link - http://www.boundarystones.org/.

Post imported post

Wonder how many of you would be willing to accept the enfranchisement of DC's citizens as the price for giving them greater gun rights.

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:
    Wonder how many of you would be willing to accept the enfranchisement of DC's citizens as the price for giving them greater gun rights.
    As long as it's by the proper method (i.e. Constitutional Amendment), I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it.

Btw, it seems apparent that the NRA is pulling some realpolitik here. The Constitution is VERY explicit about DC and Congressional (lack of) representation, so the voting provision would be struck down, while the provision against DC's gun regulations is in full compliance with the Constitution stating (again, very explicitly) that Congress has full authority over the district. Of course this IS the same court which 4 memebers argued that the BIll of Right's protects gov'ts ability to strip the rights and dignity from the citizenry, so who knows.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    "Ten miles squared" is 100 square miles. Looks like they have 31.7 square miles to spare.

TFred
    my apologies, I misread.

I had pulled up the info and happened to notice the "ten miles squared", and since I just glanced pver it, I misread it as ten square miles.

This doesn't negate the fact that the constitution specifically laid out the fact that the capital district was never intended to be anything more than a seat of government.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast