Thread: Reference document when open carrying?

Post imported post

Hi folks. I had read some posts that referenced folks that had a printed document that has material that speaks to the legality of open carrying.

I have my concealed permit, so I amnot concerened so much maybe as I would be if I did not ...........but the resturant has got me thinking. Feel stupid for stating the obvious. But, when open carrying in a resturant that is ABC on, I thought it would be a good idea to keep some reference material with me that helps explain the legallity of open carrying .....in that resturant. I realize it may not make a difference in some examples. However, just thought one more "tool" to keep with me.

Anyone have an already prepared document that could be forwarded to me? My attempts at the search button did not show any results where some may have already post such an item.

Thanks.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

See the VCDL page (www.vcdl.org) and click on "newsletters". Pages 5-6 has a blurb you can cut and put in a wallet.

VCDL has printed cards with this information, so if you know a VCDL member, you may see if s/he has one.

BobCav built the attached document, but it's dated now and I haven't reviewed it for accuracy. The only thing I can recall might be changed is the carry-at-GMU section. VCDL advises its members not to carry there, unless they want to be a test case, as the administrative code was changed to prevent carry there, and some don't believe that's enough to make it a criminal offense. It's not yet challenged.

Oh, and it's now legal to carry a concealed weapon on K-12 school grounds IF and ONLY IF you are a CHL holder, the gun remains concealed, and you remain in your vehicle.

Of course, the National Park Rule has changed, but that's Federal, not state.

I haven't gotten around to updating this document, and I don't know if anyone else has. If they have, I don't have a new copy.

Hope it helps anyway
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    See the VCDL page (http://www.vcdl.org) and click on "newsletters". Pages 5-6 has a blurb you can cut and put in a wallet.

VCDL has printed cards with this information, so if you know a VCDL member, you may see if s/he has one.

BobCav built the attached document, but it's dated now and I haven't reviewed it for accuracy. The only thing I can recall might be changed is the carry-at-GMU section. VCDL advises its members not to carry there, unless they want to be a test case, as the administrative code was changed to prevent carry there, and some don't believe that's enough to make it a criminal offense. It's not yet challenged.

Oh, and it's now legal to carry a concealed weapon on K-12 school grounds IF and ONLY IF you are a CHL holder, the gun remains concealed, and you remain in your vehicle.

Of course, the National Park Rule has changed, but that's Federal, not state.

I haven't gotten around to updating this document, and I don't know if anyone else has. If they have, I don't have a new copy.

Hope it helps anyway
    Tess- This was extreamly helpful. Thank you.

For anyone looking to the newsletter Tess references... it is Vol #11 Issue 2.

Post imported post

Someone had a pretty cool tri-fold document that, printed double-sided, made a good handout and even had a space for making notes regarding a particular experience or instance.

I think it's this one:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3356.html
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Here's a more recent thread with an updated version of the document:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=54

TFred

Post imported post

Thanks, TFred. That was the one I was looking for.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Thanks, TFred. That was the one I was looking for.
    I knew I had posted in the thread, so it wasn't hard to find.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Here's a more recent thread with an updated version of the document:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=54

TFred
    Nice! Printed and laminated. Thanks!

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Thanks, guys. I was in a hurry and didn't realize it wasn't the trifold that I posted. That's what happens when you grab a word document without opening it first.

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein