Thread: Looking for retention holster

Post imported post

Ok so after spending a week doing some random searches I found that Blade Tech makes a retention holster for my glock for about $70, but after the mag holder and getting an extra mag it'll easily be over $100.

The local PD supplier was very rude stating since the model 30 is not a duty piece they dont carry anything for it and wont order me anything. Even though they have stuff for every other imagineable pistol.

I was hoping someone else knew of a nice OWB holster with retention for my glock. I'll spend the 70 if I have no other choice but my brother got his retention holster for $30 so he got his mag holder too for less than I'd have to spend just for the one piece.

Looks like im carrying a small dog under my shirt. Im going to be OCing( already have some) but when I feel the need to conceal this doesn't leave me many options besides a coat.

Post imported post

How about this: http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/SER...lment,1410.htm

I just bought one for my XD45 it works great!

Gary

Post imported post

ummm, bigger shirt, maybe?
    wow, that does stick out some. thats why I'm happy I'm so much wider up top than in the middle, it helps conceal better.
    This issue also seems to be exasperated by the double-stack pistols, you may need to switch to a BUG when concealed, or go with a Kydex holster, they're a bit thinner material and the pistol usually snaps down into it, making it a semi-retainer type.
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

To be blunt, if you don't want to spend the money on a good holster your just gonna come up with crap. Hence the age old adage "You get what you pay for" Blade-Tech is well worth the money.

Post imported post

Would a simple thumb snap offer enough retention for you?

If so, there are a myriad of holster makers that make thumb snap holsters for a G30. Pretty much any of the well known custom makers, but they are pricey. You're $70.00 will go fast.

Try here:
    http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bi...m%2Findex.html

Packin' Heat Leather is a superb company to deal with.

Or are you looking for a holster with some sort of retention device other than a thumb snap?
    "Never belittle someone for carrying a small firearm. Commend them for carrying a firearm."
    -OpenCarry.org member MAC702

Post imported post

i bought a serpa for a model 21... it fit my model 30 just right.....

Post imported post

That beast I have now is thumb snap retention. But it moves as the belt loops are much bigger than my leather belt. So if I had to make a grab it shifts around and is in a different position every time. Plus I just don't like thumb snap.
    I had tried a BLackhawk CQC that claimed it was made for the 21 and 30 but it was so tight we (myself and the gunstore guy) couldn't get it back out. We had to unscrew it and dissassemble the holster to get it back out. It's made me a bit wary of holsters now. Same with the Fobus passive retention. Not that I'd want that one anyway but once in it was a chore to get back out. The slide is just so damn fat! So I'm not even sure I dare purchase the blade tech one as those other two said my model on the packaging. I really dislike the nylon one I have now but at least I know it works. The two molded ones have failed. It seems odd since glock is so popular. I would think the options would be legion but so far it all seems very limited.

Post imported post

Bladetech, Comp-tac and other custom kydex holster makers are a far cry from Uncle Mikes, Blackhawk, Fobus, etc. A fine holster (say Bladetech for instance) is molded to a particular firearm - they're not a "one size fits all".

There are many options that will work perfectly for your G30. The problem is that you may not find what you want for $15.00.

Like stated before, you get what you pay for. Why would you want to put a $500.00 gun in a $15.00 holster?

A $50.00+ holster is not a waste of money.
    "Never belittle someone for carrying a small firearm. Commend them for carrying a firearm."

Post imported post

Of course your right. I put it this holster because the store I bought it at only carried that brand. And the next two I visited had a fobus and a blsckhawk neither of which fit. I would spend for a nice one I just want to be sure it will fit. So you say the blade tech model is molded specifically for each model and not for several? That helps alot, I didn't know how they were different from the two mentioned before.

Post imported post

Mega-ditto's on the Serpa Holsters! I have one for my M&P 45 and I absolutely love it! The retention button is hardly even noticeable when drawing the pistol!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion, but rather default to your level of training.

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Post imported post

Also a +1 on The Serpa. My 1911 locks in and a press of the button to release/draw and it is out and ready to go. All you need to do is read the instructions, adjust the screws to your personal preference as per tightness and you are good to go.

Post imported post

I gotta admit I was a little apprehensive when the Serpa first came out and I saw the initial literature on it, but after reading a little more about it and actually using it I love it and won't ever use any other kydex holster again!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion, but rather default to your level of training.

Post imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
    I gotta admit I was a little apprehensive when the Serpa first came out and I saw the initial literature on it, but after reading a little more about it and actually using it I love it and won't ever use any other kydex holster again!!
    Yup, once you give them a try and get it adjusted to your preference, it is damn near idiotproof. I also love that Secure Click when holstering it, and you can yank on it HARD and it does not come loose/out or the holster detatch from you either.

Post imported post

Yeah, I like the fact that you can HEAR the click too! Kinda' an added safety measure!!

Post imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
    Yeah, I like the fact that you can HEAR the click too! Kinda' an added safety measure!!
    Who was it that saidGreat MindsThink Alike.........:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

Someone also said "If everyone is thinking alike, then not everyone is thinking"

Post imported post

Get a SERPA and be done with your worries!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Unfortunately, the Serpa isn't made for a Glock model 30. I looked after I mentioned it and realized that sad fact!! Check out www.purekustomholsters.com and see what he offers! This dude makes some awesome holsters! His craftmanship is just out of this world!!

Post imported post

Lose the "Combat Tupperware" and get a real semi auto pistol, yes I am saying a 1911. It has been around longer and IT WILL WORK EACH AND EVERY TIME.

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    Lose the "Combat Tupperware" and get a real semi auto pistol, yes I am saying a 1911. It has been around longer and IT WILL WORK EACH AND EVERY TIME.
    I would tend to agree with possibly moving to something else but as great as the Ol' Slabside (1911) is, it doesn't work for everyone! There are other handguns just as good as the 1911, but that's a discussion for another time and another thread!!

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    Wow, bashing someone's choice of carry gun. That really helps the OP out with finding a holster.

Boy, there's one in every crowd.

Post imported post

Something that nobody has mentioned and a holster that I use twice as often as my Serpa is my Safariland 6288, it's a concealment paddle holster with their SLS rotating hood.

It's a true Level II retention holster whereas it's arguable whether the Serpa is or isn't. I can release the retention device and draw from my Safariland about as fast as I can from my Serpa. The Safariland is also lined with suede so it's easy on your gun's finish. The drawback of the holster is that it isn't as concealable as the Serpa-so it's my holster of choice when I want to be a little more stealthy (i.e. Church) but this is an OPEN CARRY site right?

I like the Serpa well enough but find the Safariland to be far more comfortable. about 99% of the LEOs I see locally use the duty version of the Safariland. The 6287 is the concealment version with a belt loop instead of the paddle. you can get the paddle, the belt loop or the duty loop separately. The Serpa comes with both belt and paddle and is a little less expensive.