• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for retention holster

YllwFvr

imported post

Ok so after spending a week doing some random searches I found that Blade Tech makes a retention holster for my glock for about $70, but after the mag holder and getting an extra mag it'll easily be over $100.

The local PD supplier was very rude stating since the model 30 is not a duty piece they dont carry anything for it and wont order me anything. Even though they have stuff for every other imagineable pistol.

I was hoping someone else knew of a nice OWB holster with retention for my glock. I'll spend the 70 if I have no other choice but my brother got his retention holster for $30 so he got his mag holder too for less than I'd have to spend just for the one piece.

Looks like im carrying a small dog under my shirt. Im going to be OCing( already have some) but when I feel the need to conceal this doesn't leave me many options besides a coat.

2db5pup.jpg

aob2p5.jpg

bugly

imported post

ummm, bigger shirt, maybe?
wow, that does stick out some. thats why I'm happy I'm so much wider up top than in the middle, it helps conceal better.
This issue also seems to be exasperated by the double-stack pistols, you may need to switch to a BUG when concealed, or go with a Kydex holster, they're a bit thinner material and the pistol usually snaps down into it, making it a semi-retainer type.

bordsnbikes

imported post

To be blunt, if you don't want to spend the money on a good holster your just gonna come up with crap. Hence the age old adage "You get what you pay for" Blade-Tech is well worth the money.

LeMat

imported post

Would a simple thumb snap offer enough retention for you?

If so, there are a myriad of holster makers that make thumb snap holsters for a G30. Pretty much any of the well known custom makers, but they are pricey. You're $70.00 will go fast. ;)

Try here:
http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=leatherforlefties&query=Glock+29+30&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.packinheatleather.com%2Findex.html

Packin' Heat Leather is a superb company to deal with.

Or are you looking for a holster with some sort of retention device other than a thumb snap?

YllwFvr

imported post

That beast I have now is thumb snap retention. But it moves as the belt loops are much bigger than my leather belt. So if I had to make a grab it shifts around and is in a different position every time. Plus I just don't like thumb snap.
I had tried a BLackhawk CQC that claimed it was made for the 21 and 30 but it was so tight we (myself and the gunstore guy) couldn't get it back out. We had to unscrew it and dissassemble the holster to get it back out. It's made me a bit wary of holsters now. Same with the Fobus passive retention. Not that I'd want that one anyway but once in it was a chore to get back out. The slide is just so damn fat! So I'm not even sure I dare purchase the blade tech one as those other two said my model on the packaging. I really dislike the nylon one I have now but at least I know it works. The two molded ones have failed. It seems odd since glock is so popular. I would think the options would be legion but so far it all seems very limited.

LeMat

imported post

Bladetech, Comp-tac and other custom kydex holster makers are a far cry from Uncle Mikes, Blackhawk, Fobus, etc. A fine holster (say Bladetech for instance) is molded to a particular firearm - they're not a "one size fits all".

There are many options that will work perfectly for your G30. The problem is that you may not find what you want for $15.00.

Like stated before, you get what you pay for. Why would you want to put a $500.00 gun in a $15.00 holster?

A $50.00+ holster is not a waste of money. ;)

YllwFvr

imported post

Of course your right. I put it this holster because the store I bought it at only carried that brand. And the next two I visited had a fobus and a blsckhawk neither of which fit. I would spend for a nice one I just want to be sure it will fit. So you say the blade tech model is molded specifically for each model and not for several? That helps alot, I didn't know how they were different from the two mentioned before.

curtm1911

imported post

Also a +1 on The Serpa. My 1911 locks in and a press of the button to release/draw and it is out and ready to go. All you need to do is read the instructions, adjust the screws to your personal preference as per tightness and you are good to go.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I gotta admit I was a little apprehensive when the Serpa first came out and I saw the initial literature on it, but after reading a little more about it and actually using it I love it and won't ever use any other kydex holster again!!

curtm1911

imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
I gotta admit I was a little apprehensive when the Serpa first came out and I saw the initial literature on it, but after reading a little more about it and actually using it I love it and won't ever use any other kydex holster again!!
Yup, once you give them a try and get it adjusted to your preference, it is damn near idiotproof. I also love that Secure Click when holstering it, and you can yank on it HARD and it does not come loose/out or the holster detatch from you either.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
Lose the "Combat Tupperware" and get a real semi auto pistol, yes I am saying a 1911. It has been around longer and IT WILL WORK EACH AND EVERY TIME.
I would tend to agree with possibly moving to something else but as great as the Ol' Slabside (1911) is, it doesn't work for everyone! There are other handguns just as good as the 1911, but that's a discussion for another time and another thread!!