• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Malco theaters

Fallguy

imported post

It is legal, unless they have a sign per 39-17-1359 posted.

However, even if they don't have a sign they can ask you to conceal it and/or leave in which case if you don't you can be charged with trespassing.

WCrawford

imported post

Eeyore wrote:
WillJitsu wrote:
Does anyone know if is legal to open carry a firearm into the Malco theaters in Memphis, TN?
FWIW, the Malco in Columbus, MS has list of rules posted in the lobby that prohibits "weapons of any kind."

In Tennessee, the signage must be in complete compliance with the law noted in Fallguy's post.

Anything else holds no legal weight in Tennessee. But, just as Fallguy stated, they can ask that you conceal or leave. If you don't comply with the "leave" request you could be charged with criminal trespass.

As a licensed security guard in Tennessee, it is my experience that you would not be charged with anything if the police are called if you refuse to leave. The police (in my experience) will tell you to leave and will charge you with trespass if you return (much to my professional dismay).

crotalus01

imported post

Huh. I used to work for Malco (10 years worth), and I have OCed at their theaters a few times with no negative results (not the ones that serve booze in Memphis). Never heard of an anti-gun policy by them - doesnt mean theres not one, just personally not aware of any anti-gun policies.

I will contact the Corporate Office and post what I find out.

crotalus01

imported post

Here is the email I received back from Malco Corporate regarding the carrying of firearms in their theaters. Looks like it is not a problem -

Dear Dan,

As a former employee you may remember that we have had a long time policy of not allowing the "possession of firearms, fireworks, or any weapon on company property" by employees.

Movie patrons however are not bound by our employee's rules and may carry firearms as permitted by state law and/or local ordinance.

Thanks for your interest.

Best Regards,

Alan Denton