• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with a non-saftey inspected pistol

Lucky

imported post

I'm not sure, but I believe I read somewhere that you don't have to register (safety inspection) a pistol to OC. I know that the law was recently changed (January?) that made it so residents in MI don't have to get a safety inspection after purchasing a pistol. Do you still have to get it registered before open carrying?

Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks, Lucky

viperar15

imported post

the only difference is this...

It is now full fledged Registration.
When you purchase a pistol you still MUST register it.

The only difference is how you do it. If you have no problem running down to the police station (for me that was the easiest), you can still do that.

If you want clarification on the rest of the other ways you can register via snail mail, i can post that also.

Pistol Inspection was Registration. They renamed it to registration and you do not have to take the pistol with you to the police station.

viperar15

imported post

For Registration between an FFL or CPL Holder to a CPL Holder, you fill out a Sales/Registration Slip. You can obtain as many of these from your Local Law Enforcement Office as you wish. These are to be used ONLY between FFL/CPL and CPL Holders. If the other person does NOT have a CPL, he or she MUST get a Purchase permit.

For Registration from an FFL or CPL Holder to a Non-CPL Holder, you must go to the Local Law Enforcement Office, obtain a Purchase Permit from them. Then you fill it out and either return it to the Local Law Enforcement Office or Mail it to them.

After the sale, you must keep your Sales Slip or Yellow Purchase Permit on your person for 30days while transporting or carrying.

A CPL Sales Reciept is paper and easily foldable for your wallet.
A Purchase Permit is like a 4x5" Index Card and Yellow.

This is how I understand it from all the recent purchases dad, myself, and my brother have made. If you have further questions, please contact your Local Law Enforcement Office.

Edit: Oh, and at no time do you need to take your pistol to the Law Enforcement Office.