Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First OC in town anti-climatic

Post imported post

Got my new Blackhawk Serpa holster today so I decided to put it to use for my first OC. I visited 3 businesses (video store,drug store and grocery store)in my small town and only one double take that I could tell. I felt perfectly comfortable, just went about my business. I know there were people who could clearly see I was carrying and no one showed any hint of surprise, concernor alarm. One guy looked twice and kinda grinned. Pretty anti-climatic - just the way I like it.

Gary

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas, USA

Post imported post

Felt good, didn't it?

AC

Post imported post

You'll find that for the most part your OC will be ignored.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

Post imported post

ACEllis wrote:
    Felt good, didn't it?

AC
    Oh yeah!

Post imported post

Yep very much a non-issue 99% of the time. Just wait until the first time you're OC and a cop starts heading directly toward you...

...and your heart pounds like it's going to leap out of your chest....

...and then the cop asks....

"Is that S&W 629? Man, I've been wanting one of those!! Do you like it???"

Post imported post

Since I joined the forum I've OC'd everywhere I go, and I don't go where I can't OC. The only reaction I've gotten AT ALL was from a family from Cali that sat and glared at me the whole time I was eating over at the McDonalds. Otherwise, you'd think nobody even saw it.

I'm waiting for my cop buddy to see me while I'm carrying, wonder what he'll say.

Post imported post

fighting_for_freedom wrote:
    Since I joined the forum I've OC'd everywhere I go, and I don't go where I can't OC. The only reaction I've gotten AT ALL was from a family from Cali that sat and glared at me the whole time I was eating over at the McDonalds. Otherwise, you'd think nobody even saw it.

I'm waiting for my cop buddy to see me while I'm carrying, wonder what he'll say.
    You should have nicely suggested they get their ******* asses back to the land of fruits and nuts where they belong.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Anti-climatic OC experiences are the best kind!

Post imported post

Ianmtx wrote:
    Anti-climatic OC experiences are the best kind!
    I agree. Wouldn't it be great if we could get to the point where the general public not only doesn't mind but actually feels safer, as they should? I know that's a bit pie in the sky but in the meantime I'll do my part by exercising my right to protect myself and contribute to public acceptance. If anyone does give me crap at some point I'll politely tell them that not only is it my right but some day they just might thank me.

Gary

Post imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
    ...and then the cop asks....

"Is that S&W 629? Man, I've been wanting one of those!! Do you like it???"

In my town, that is exactly what is likely to happen However, I would hope the LEO would recognize the difference between a 629 and my XD45! :P

Gary

Post imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
    You should have nicely suggested they get their @#$%ing asses back to the land of fruits and nuts where they belong.
    Hey! I'm originally from the land of fruits and nuts...

I like Colorado, but I prefer CA... but only for the weather and beautiful beaches. Too bad we can't evict all the liberal-hippie-gun-hating pricks out and move a bunch of people from Colorado, AZ, and Alaska in. Then it would be the ideal state. Beautiful weather, women, and lots and lots of guns.

Wouldn't that just be heaven... :P

Ok,I'm getting a little excited, should probably shut up now.

But in all seriousness, I shoulda at least said something. All I did was dump my trash in the bin which happened to be right next to them, tipped my hat and said 'have a great day' and left. Damn it, opportunity over.

Post imported post

I was stationed in CA for two years, back when they weren't entirely nuts--Reagan was governor. Took my pistol with me often to shoot, never any anti-gun news, CCWs weren't an issue as you could open carry anywhere away from the big cities. Great state, now a People's Republik. Too bad. I'm hoping the big one hits and AZ and UT get oceanfront property.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Lucky bastard, I don't think I was even BORN when Reagan was governor. Wish I coulda been around for that...

Post imported post

I had a great time OCing yesterday. It was actually my first time on my own. The first time was the meet up at the pizza place. A bunch of us went snowshoeing up near the Henderson Mine and two of us carried. On the way back to Denver we stopped at the Starbucks/Breeze Ski Rentals place in Dumont and open carried in there. The guy at the register gave my gun a look as I walked up to the counter but didn't say anything. I was very friendly to him and had my wife with me so maybe that helped! We were in there for probably an hour and a half. My wife noticed several people give my buddy and I some looks but nobody ever said anything. Great fun! Now if only I could carry around my neighborhood. I live in Denver so I'm rather limited!

Post imported post

Picked myself up a reinforced holster belt today. Looks like I have to OC tomorrow to test it out! :celebrate

Gary

Post imported post

What did you get, where and how much?! I've been looking at gun belts but haven't decided on one yet. Let us know how it works!

Post imported post

I found it at my local gun shop, it is a Tactical 5.11. It is all leather with a stiffener insert, 1.5". What I like about it is the color (a very deep brown, as opposed to tan) and it has some nice stitching - it doesn't look like a holster belt but it has the support of a holster belt. I only paid $35. This gun shop has an excellent reputation in our area, including with law enforcement (they have a section of the shop accessible only to LEOs) so I figure anything they carry will be pretty decent. Time will tell.

EDIT: HERE is the belt. I got it in "Brown with Contrast Stitch".

Gary

Post imported post

RLCbushpilot wrote:
    I had a great time OCing yesterday. It was actually my first time on my own. The first time was the meet up at the pizza place. A bunch of us went snowshoeing up near the Henderson Mine and two of us carried. On the way back to Denver we stopped at the Starbucks/Breeze Ski Rentals place in Dumont and open carried in there. The guy at the register gave my gun a look as I walked up to the counter but didn't say anything. I was very friendly to him and had my wife with me so maybe that helped! We were in there for probably an hour and a half. My wife noticed several people give my buddy and I some looks but nobody ever said anything. Great fun! Now if only I could carry around my neighborhood. I live in Denver so I'm rather limited!
    Ooo, so sorry to hear that!

Post imported post

Thanks for the sympathy!

Post imported post

Doublewide, I should disagree with you. I too live in Windsor and know our LEO's and their methodes pretty well. They probably won't bother you about OC but they will hit you up for disordely conduct if somebody calls them about a "man with a gun".

If you have a concealed permit you can, as the Weld County Sheriff told me: Carry it any way you want. Just watch out for the Windsor LEO's. They like encounters like that.

Coilorado Slick

Post imported post

Doublewide, which gun store was that? I know of only one here in Windsor and that is a small place in a shopping center on the west side of town. I prefere the Sportsmans Ware House. Good leather selections there.

Coorado Slick

Post imported post

Slick,

Interesting. I just had a nice chat this afternoon with a sergeant down at the police post and I specifically asked him about a) any ordinances against open carry (there are none in Windsor) and b) the department's philosophy or feelings about it. The LEO indicated that the police department doesn't really have a problem with open carry but the problem is the general public may wig out and the police and up showing up to sort out what's going on. He seemed pretty non-chalant about it. If you have specific cases otherwise, do tell. I don't see how they could make a disorderly conduct charge stick when open carry in the city of Windsor is perfectly legal.

I also had an interesting discussion today with a FORMER LEO who basically said I was a fool looking for trouble if I open carry. His take was that if I open carry eventually I WILL have officers with weapons pointed at me. I realize that they don't know what I might be doing but I don't see how they can just draw down on me, assuming I'm complying with their requests and there hasn't been a crime committed, I am not in the process of committing a crime and there is no indication that I am about to commit a crime. I guess they can pretty much do anything to protect themselves but I'd be really pi$$ed.

Anyway, and this isa question I still have, this progressed into a discussion about where you can and cannot open carry. He claims a municipality can enact an ordinance prohibiting open carry and that municipality does NOT have to post signs indicating such ordinance, not for a particular area or building but for the whole jurisdiction. (IE: he claims local laws can always beMORE restrictive than state laws)My understanding up to nowis that signs must be posted in areas where firearms are prohibited but what about a whole jurisdiction (eg: anywhere within city limits). I cannot find anything in the state statutes clarifying this (other than in a vehicle, schools, offices of the general assembly, etc.) so is it true or not? Sure, a city ordinance may SAY it is illegal to carry anywhere within city limits but can a city legally do this?

The gun shop I was referring to was Jensen Arms in Loveland. I guess I was taking some liberty with the term "local"

What say we meet for coffee sometime? I'd like to hear more of your insight and experience with OC. I will be getting my CCW this spring.

Post imported post

doublewide wrote:
    Anyway, and this isa question I still have, this progressed into a discussion about where you can and cannot open carry. He claims a municipality can enact an ordinance prohibiting open carry and that municipality does NOT have to post signs indicating such ordinance, not for a particular area or building but for the whole jurisdiction. (IE: he claims local laws can always beMORE restrictive than state laws)My understanding up to nowis that signs must be posted in areas where firearms are prohibited but what about a whole jurisdiction (eg: anywhere within city limits). I cannot find anything in the state statutes clarifying this (other than in a vehicle, schools, offices of the general assembly, etc.) so is it true or not? Sure, a city ordinance may SAY it is illegal to carry anywhere within city limits but can a city legally do this?
    29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
    A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

"There are those who still think they are holding the pass against a revolution that may be coming up the road. But they are gazing in the wrong direction. The revolution is behind them. It went by in the Night of Depression, singing songs of freedom" -- Garet Garrett, The Revolution Was (1938)

Post imported post

doublewide wrote:
    He claims a municipality can enact an ordinance prohibiting open carry and that municipality does NOT have to post signs indicating such ordinance, not for a particular area or building but for the whole jurisdiction. (IE: he claims local laws can always beMORE restrictive than state laws)My understanding up to nowis that signs must be posted in areas where firearms are prohibited but what about a whole jurisdiction (eg: anywhere within city limits). I cannot find anything in the state statutes clarifying this (other than in a vehicle, schools, offices of the general assembly, etc.) so is it true or not? Sure, a city ordinance may SAY it is illegal to carry anywhere within city limits but can a city legally do this?
    I'll take Tony Fabian's view on this over some "former LEO".... cops often don't know the law as much as they claim/should.

from CSSA.org, specifically a legal Q&A w/ Tony Fabian:

There is no legal definition of open carry in Colorado. State law does not specifically address the open carry of firearms; therefore, it does not prohibit the practice. However, several municipalities have banned open carry in some form or other--either citywide or in specific designated areas. This practice was upheld by the Colorado Court of Appeals in 2002 in the case of Trinen v. Denver, and the State Supreme Court refused to review the COA's ruling. SB25, which went into effect nearly a year ago, requires that cities post any place where open carry of firearms is prohibited. Cities with limited (bans confined to limited areas such as specific buildings or areas) bans appear to be in compliance with the law; cities with unlimited (city-wide) bans have not posted to the satisfaction of the state statute. As such, it is the position of CSSA that such unlimited bans, unless posted at all entry ways to the city, are unenforceable. If you want to know the law for your city, or a city you are visiting, go to the city's website and look up the city's laws on the subject in the municipal code. Hope this answers your question.

Tony Fabian
    President, CSSA

Post imported post

entartet17,

Thank you for posting 29-11.7-104 - I am aware of this part of the statutes but my question still stands - can a municipality invoke an ordinance that says open carry is not permittedANYWHERE in the municipality and NOT have to post signs? The verbiage in 29-11.7-104 does not seem clear to me on this subtlety because it addresses SPECIFICareas or buildings.

Am I reading meaning into what the statute does NOT say? In other words, because 29-11.7-104does NOT say a municipality may restrict firearms in ALL areas of the municipalities, it cannot?

Scary, I'm starting to think like a lawyer.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast