• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC in town anti-climatic

doublewide

imported post

Got my new Blackhawk Serpa holster today so I decided to put it to use for my first OC. I visited 3 businesses (video store,drug store and grocery store)in my small town and only one double take that I could tell. I felt perfectly comfortable, just went about my business. I know there were people who could clearly see I was carrying and no one showed any hint of surprise, concernor alarm. One guy looked twice and kinda grinned. Pretty anti-climatic - just the way I like it.

Gary

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Yep very much a non-issue 99% of the time. Just wait until the first time you're OC and a cop starts heading directly toward you...

...and your heart pounds like it's going to leap out of your chest....

...and then the cop asks....

"Is that S&W 629? Man, I've been wanting one of those!! Do you like it???"

:D:D:D

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Since I joined the forum I've OC'd everywhere I go, and I don't go where I can't OC. The only reaction I've gotten AT ALL was from a family from Cali that sat and glared at me the whole time I was eating over at the McDonalds. Otherwise, you'd think nobody even saw it.

I'm waiting for my cop buddy to see me while I'm carrying, wonder what he'll say.

Gunslinger

imported post

fighting_for_freedom wrote:
Since I joined the forum I've OC'd everywhere I go, and I don't go where I can't OC. The only reaction I've gotten AT ALL was from a family from Cali that sat and glared at me the whole time I was eating over at the McDonalds. Otherwise, you'd think nobody even saw it.

I'm waiting for my cop buddy to see me while I'm carrying, wonder what he'll say.
You should have nicely suggested they get their ******* asses back to the land of fruits and nuts where they belong.

doublewide

imported post

Ianmtx wrote:
Anti-climatic OC experiences are the best kind!

I agree. Wouldn't it be great if we could get to the point where the general public not only doesn't mind but actually feels safer, as they should? I know that's a bit pie in the sky but in the meantime I'll do my part by exercising my right to protect myself and contribute to public acceptance. If anyone does give me crap at some point I'll politely tell them that not only is it my right but some day they just might thank me.

Gary

doublewide

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
...and then the cop asks....

"Is that S&W 629? Man, I've been wanting one of those!! Do you like it???"

:D:D:D

In my town, that is exactly what is likely to happen :) However, I would hope the LEO would recognize the difference between a 629 and my XD45! :p

Gary

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
You should have nicely suggested they get their @#$%ing asses back to the land of fruits and nuts where they belong.

Hey! I'm originally from the land of fruits and nuts...

I like Colorado, but I prefer CA... but only for the weather and beautiful beaches. Too bad we can't evict all the liberal-hippie-gun-hating pricks out and move a bunch of people from Colorado, AZ, and Alaska in. Then it would be the ideal state. Beautiful weather, women, and lots and lots of guns.

Wouldn't that just be heaven... :p

Ok,I'm getting a little excited, should probably shut up now.

But in all seriousness, I shoulda at least said something. All I did was dump my trash in the bin which happened to be right next to them, tipped my hat and said 'have a great day' and left. Damn it, opportunity over.

Gunslinger

imported post

I was stationed in CA for two years, back when they weren't entirely nuts--Reagan was governor. Took my pistol with me often to shoot, never any anti-gun news, CCWs weren't an issue as you could open carry anywhere away from the big cities. Great state, now a People's Republik. Too bad. I'm hoping the big one hits and AZ and UT get oceanfront property.

RLCbushpilot

imported post

I had a great time OCing yesterday. It was actually my first time on my own. The first time was the meet up at the pizza place. A bunch of us went snowshoeing up near the Henderson Mine and two of us carried. On the way back to Denver we stopped at the Starbucks/Breeze Ski Rentals place in Dumont and open carried in there. The guy at the register gave my gun a look as I walked up to the counter but didn't say anything. I was very friendly to him and had my wife with me so maybe that helped! We were in there for probably an hour and a half. My wife noticed several people give my buddy and I some looks but nobody ever said anything. Great fun! Now if only I could carry around my neighborhood. I live in Denver so I'm rather limited!

doublewide

imported post

I found it at my local gun shop, it is a Tactical 5.11. It is all leather with a stiffener insert, 1.5". What I like about it is the color (a very deep brown, as opposed to tan) and it has some nice stitching - it doesn't look like a holster belt but it has the support of a holster belt. I only paid $35. This gun shop has an excellent reputation in our area, including with law enforcement (they have a section of the shop accessible only to LEOs) so I figure anything they carry will be pretty decent. Time will tell.

EDIT: HERE is the belt. I got it in "Brown with Contrast Stitch".

Gary

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

RLCbushpilot wrote:
I had a great time OCing yesterday. It was actually my first time on my own. The first time was the meet up at the pizza place. A bunch of us went snowshoeing up near the Henderson Mine and two of us carried. On the way back to Denver we stopped at the Starbucks/Breeze Ski Rentals place in Dumont and open carried in there. The guy at the register gave my gun a look as I walked up to the counter but didn't say anything. I was very friendly to him and had my wife with me so maybe that helped! We were in there for probably an hour and a half. My wife noticed several people give my buddy and I some looks but nobody ever said anything. Great fun! Now if only I could carry around my neighborhood. I live in Denver so I'm rather limited!
Ooo, so sorry to hear that!

colorado slick

imported post

Doublewide, I should disagree with you. I too live in Windsor and know our LEO's and their methodes pretty well. They probably won't bother you about OC but they will hit you up for disordely conduct if somebody calls them about a "man with a gun".

If you have a concealed permit you can, as the Weld County Sheriff told me: Carry it any way you want. Just watch out for the Windsor LEO's. They like encounters like that.

Coilorado Slick