• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why would you need a gun on campus

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

So much for safe zones - six robberies in a matter of hours at VCU.

http://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=9963473

Richmond and VCU police are looking for a man who robbed six people in a span of four hours on and around the VCU Monroe Park campus.

Five students and a sixth person were robbed overnight Friday. In three of the cases the culprit showed a knife.

"I usually don't have any problems walking through the park at night," saidVCU student Derek Russell.

But others did. The crime spree started about midnight when a student was robbed at South Laurel and West Cary streets. Less than an hour later, two more students were robbed in Monroe park.
Only ten minutes passed before another two students met the same fate at Harrison and Main streets. Then at 3:50a.m., the sixth robbery occurred at Cumberland and Belvidere streets.
In three of the robberies the victim's told police the robber pulled a knife on them.There are also reports that he changed his clothes during the four hour crime spree.
It stirred up chatter on the popular social networking site Twitter. The crime spree was also the talk of campus.

"It's definitely frightening it's an eye opener it allows me to re-evaluate and be more cautious when I am walking at night," said Russell.

VCU student Nikita Moyer thinks the safest bet is her bike.

"I am fairly comfortable if I know I'm going to be walking home at night I just make sure I bring my bike with me and try not to walk," said Moyer.

No one was hurt in the robberies.