• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do I need to OC @ 18

gmalfavon1

imported post

Well I'm turning 18 in about 3 months already have a Glock 20 in 10mm with a Blackhawk level 3 autolock holster I'm just wondering if their is any prerequisite I have to meet.befor OCing?

Michigander

imported post

Put it on your belt, know the laws, and go for it. ;)

Places that are off limits include anywhere that sells alcohol for on site consumption, state parks that say you must be licensed to carry, and any private property that says no guns. Publicly owned buildings sometimes also won't let you carry, but they must have lockers to store your gun in. Vehicle carry is pretty damn confusing, so I'll let someone else explain that part.

And one more thing, the Hungry Howies on Glendale and 67th won't let you carry inside because of the douche bag owner, but he refuses to put a sign up. He'd rather have the fun of telling people to leave I guess.:X

me812

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Put it on your belt, know the laws, and go for it. ;)

Places that are off limits include anywhere that sells alcohol for on site consumption, state parks that say you must be licensed to carry, and any private property that says no guns. Publicly owned buildings sometimes also won't let you carry, but they must have lockers to store your gun in. Vehicle carry is pretty damn confusing, so I'll let someone else explain that part.

And one more thing, the Hungry Howies on Glendale and 67th won't let you carry inside because of the douche bag owner, but he refuses to put a sign up. He'd rather have the fun of telling people to leave I guess.:X
What he said. When you turn 18, just strap it on and walk down the street with it.

If you don't wear a belt, an Uncle Mike's sidekick holster belt works good to hold your holster. That's what I use. You can order one from gunaccessories.com

Dahwg

imported post

What they all said plus one more thing. A clean record- you can't be a prohibited possessor. Which means no felonies or current restraining orders, and no misdemeanor Domestic Violence charge. In a car, just make sure it's in a holster and you'll be ok for the most part.

SPickens

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Vehicle carry is pretty damn confusing, so I'll let someone else explain that part.

I'll hop on that one!

Vehicle OCing is kind of touchy. Per A.R.S. § 13- 3012(f), "When transporting a firearm in or on a means of transportation without a CCW permit, the firearm must be wholly or partially visible, or in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment. However, when they say "wholly or partly visible" they mean to the COMMON observer. So if you have your seat belt covering your holstered firearm, and you have a center console(considering you are the driver), this most likely is not considered visible to the common observer as one looking through your window(s) cannot see the gun.

If you want to put the gun in your glove box, or in a center console. This MUST be done in a "two-step concealment" manner. In other words, it must take two steps to retrieve that firearm. (i.e. in the glove box, in a holster).

I always do the two step glove box, in my Blackhawk Serpa. It makes it easy to OC when I go to get out of the car!

Have fun!

-Steven

SPickens

imported post

Also, to add, you must retain immediate control of the gun if you have any minors or prohibited possesors in the vehicle.