• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denver County Map

RLCbushpilot

imported post

Anybody have a good map that shows the Denver County lines? I found this one http://www.denvergov.org/DenverMaps/downloads/maps/ElectionPrec/precinct_map_citywide.pdf but it doesn't have the street names on it so it isn't all that useful. Interesting thing on this one it seems to show that Chatfield Reservoir is contained within Denver County. I know people have open carried there so I'm assuming state park rules trump city. Anyway, I'm a little paranoid open carrying anywhere within 50 miles of Denver just because of how funky the county lines seem to be. It would be nice to have a good map.

FogRider

imported post

I have a great pdf of Denver, but it's to big to attach it here. If you send me a PM with your email I can send it to you.

My method of dealing with the wonky borders is to just make some mental straight lines in areas I'm likely to be, and I don't cross those OCing. I end up CCing in places I could technically OC, but it keeps me legal.

Dom

imported post

Keep in mind that Denver Mountain Parks also fall under the no OC rules of Denver. You could be 50 miles from Denver in one of those parks and carrying illegally :X.

Yooper

imported post

Then there's some parks with multiple jurisdictions, such as Elk Meadow in Evergreen.
http://www.jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/elkmmap.pdf
It has Jeffco open space, DOW, and Denver Mtn Parks. As much as I liked Colorado, I'm glad I moved back to MI. Over here it's legal to open carry everywhere, even in Detroit if for some god awful reason you find yourself there..

Gunslinger

imported post

Dom wrote:
Keep in mind that Denver Mountain Parks also fall under the no OC rules of Denver. You could be 50 miles from Denver in one of those parks and carrying illegally :X.
Are they in Denver County? If so, that's probably true, if not, state preemption applies. I'm not familiar with Denver County's meets and bounds. In the city, I CC with a .45 SIG GSR 1911 and an extra mag loaded with +P 230gr Federal HSTs. The cops are always only minutes away when you have seconds to live. Good thing they're anti-gun; too bad the state isn't and there's not a damned thing they can do about CC.

RLCbushpilot

imported post

Within the Meyer decision it lays out that Denver may ban open carry in all of its parks which include the Mountain Parks. Somebody seriously needs to challenge this again. The state supreme court voted 3-3 which affirmed the lower courts ruling. That was only because a judge had to recuse herself. If it was challenged again it would most likely be overturned. Who's got the $$ to sue?!

Dom

imported post

To avoid ambiguity, an excerpt from Myers (my emphasis added) http://www.rmgo.org/alerts/2004-denverruling.htm#City%20Parks:

On this issue, the City's argument is supported by state law. C.R.S. §31-25-201 (2003) grants the City authority to establish, maintain and acquire lands for parkways, parks or recreational purposes. More specifically, in C.R.S. §31-25-216 (2003), a city and county is granted full police power and jurisdiction over extraterritorial parklands, of which Denver has a substantial collection. The State has not sought to regulate the City's policing of its own parks until the enactment of Senate Bill 25. Denver's park system is unique to it, especially with regard to its extensive system of mountain parks and parkways. Any need for uniformity is vastly outweighed by Denver's judgment that its citizens are safer without guns in the parks. There is no extraterritorial impact to this ordinance. Commuter routes typically do not traverse parklands, and it is not an unreasonable burden for visitors to Denver to inform themselves as to restrictions on guns in parks. The State has not shown any substantial interest in requiring a municipality to open its parks to all guns, as described above, the bare interest in uniformity is unconvincing. Therefore, based on the totality of the circumstance s, I conclude that the issue of open carry of firearms in parks is one of exclusive local concern. To the extent that C.R.S. 529-11.7-103 purports to preempt the Denver ordinance as it prohibits open carry in parks, I find beyond a reasonable doubt that it is unconstitutional.

However, the City's local concern for policing its own parks collides with the statewide statutory scheme governing carrying concealed handguns with a permit. The City has admitted that concealed carry is an area of mixed state and local concern. As stated above, the State's creation of uniform regulations on concealed carry predominates. Since the ordinance prohibiting all firearms in parks conflicts with the state statutes on concealed carry, the ordinance is preempted by state law only as to concealed handguns carried with a permit.
Personally, I find it an unreasonable burden to know you can't OC in a mountain park. I almost violated the law when walking my dog near Echo Lake.