• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prison releases spell trouble - Examiner

Dave Workman

imported post

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...ses-police-cutbacks-pose-a-danger-to-citizens

When a three-judge federal court panel ruled in February that California prisons were over-crowded and that the Golden State had to reduce its prison population by as many as 57,000 inmates, it sent shockwaves that should have been felt along the entire West Coast.
Washington State faces an $8 billion budget shortfall, and you can bet the farm and your first-born child that when the slashing begins, prisons and police agencies are not going to be spared from the meat cleaver.

joeroket

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m3d7-Prison-releases-police-cutbacks-pose-a-danger-to-citizens

When a three-judge federal court panel ruled in February that California prisons were over-crowded and that the Golden State had to reduce its prison population by as many as 57,000 inmates, it sent shockwaves that should have been felt along the entire West Coast.
Washington State faces an $8 billion budget shortfall, and you can bet the farm and your first-born child that when the slashing begins, prisons and police agencies are not going to be spared from the meat cleaver.
This has been the case forever. Why will lawmakers not look at trackable and statically proven evidence before they make these stupid decisions.

This is the same reason my father was killed in the line of duty in Seattle by a transient who was under the care of Ca. DOJ. Lack of supervision.

Cutting staffing will only create more of a danger to society and the men and woman who have sworn to protect it, the ones that are left in the career that is.

Thanks again for a great article Dave.

bugly

imported post

Funny thing is; they always want to slash the more important things first, police, fire, schools... they never begin slashing the budget by cutting out stadium building or those expensive "perks" the government enjoys so much.

If I ran my business like the government runs itself, I'd be bankrupt, and probably headed to jail.

just_a_car

imported post

bugly wrote:
Funny thing is; they always want to slash the more important things first, police, fire, schools... they never begin slashing the budget by cutting out stadium building or those expensive "perks" the government enjoys so much.

If I ran my business like the government runs itself, I'd be bankrupt, and probably headed to jail.
Yup, and by doing so, they force the public to ask them to increase taxes to pay for better funding for those important things. Which is what they wanted to do in the first place.

You think they haven't thought this out?...

bugly

imported post

...not trying to be funny or anything, but do the words "well, duh..." mean anything to y'all?
This is why we are spinning our wheels as a country. Resting on our once-deserved laurels has made us weak and lazy. "our" government knows this and I believe it was planned.