• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry 2nd Experience

Mykal

imported post

Hey guys i was visiting some friends up in long beach. I informed them of open carry, and were very receptive of it. 3 open carried and the 4th did not. Went to iHop with no one questioning us until we left. The three of us that left while the 4th non carry payed was questioned if the guns were real. She infromed them yeah. They didnt believe her. They kept asking her what branch of gov't we were and she toldthe staff memberswe were unloaded. She finally was fed up with them not believing her she told them we were her bodyguards and she was in the secret service program. their eyes got real big as she walked out. I took point walking back to the car and the other two walked behind her and i noticed as we walked around the building to our car i saw faces staring back at us. She then told me the story. We all laughed.

We went to Office Space so the other two guys would have a tape recorder. they picked up Sony P620. the manager was extremely polite and helpful. no issues.

We then walked across the street to Turner's Outdoorsman. I walked to the back counter and told them " i am a civilian and it it your policy to inspect our handguns. would you like to inspect them?" they did and we reholstered. No issues until we started walking out when Indy was confronted and was told it was "sorta-legal " what he was doing and further stated that county laws superceeded state laws and we would totaly get arrested. I pulled Indy out of the store and we walked away.

We then procceded to Quarterman's, which is a LEO and Security Officer store. There were to LEO's inside that didnt bother us while we shopped. I purchased a SERPA for my 1911 and love it!

Our final trip was to the grocery store where i waited outside. An African American approached me and asked about my gun.I was very informal with him as i did not want ot tell him too much as he proceed to tell me he has a 9mm and a 45 glock and a chrome shotgun. "thug life" as he called it and his "ghetto" as he called it he had too.He was intrigued i was open carrying but posedno immediate threat to me. He was nice but i wasnt about to let my guard down. He asked if he could hold it too.

Noincidents, no arrests, no cops talking to us. It was a good long day hanging out in Long Beach as i now have 2 buddies to OPen Carry out here.

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

i truly hope you did not let him hold it......and tell you all about his stolen glocks........this is the reason why there is such a negative view on firearms in general in this country. the whole "thug life" way people want to live, its ridiculous.

On a better note, sounds like a good outing! Great job educating your friends enough to feel confident in excercising their right to OC. I hope they stick with it!

pullnshoot25

imported post

oilfieldtrash11 wrote:
i truly hope you did not let him hold it......and tell you all about his stolen glocks........this is the reason why there is such a negative view on firearms in general in this country. the whole "thug life" way people want to live, its ridiculous.

On a better note, sounds like a good outing! Great job educating your friends enough to feel confident in excercising their right to OC. I hope they stick with it!
Hell no he didn't let the bugger touch it!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have said it before, and will say it again. . . touching my gun is like touching my wife. Unless I give you permission, you better not touch either!

I sometimes get a little uneasy at the questions asked only because some people that ask are a little shady.

But I have not been OC for some time...because of this legal thing. I can't wait until its over. . . You think being unloaded on your hip is useless...try taking it out of a locked container first!

eraseallhope

imported post

Where are you or where did you open carry in long beach?

I open carry every day in long beach and the signal hill area.

we should have a meet up sometime, maybe go somewhere for a lunch or dinner... I've tried to convince all my friends to arm themselves and carry for self protection....

But they all voted for Obama and are the regular "Weed is Good, Guns are Bad" liberals.

I'd love to meet some like minded people in my area so lemme know whats goin on.

demnogis

imported post

I live over in Costa Mesa... Just a stone's throw away! We should organized an Orange County OC meetup.

Let's just not go to a Regal Cinemas... Apparently they have a strict no-guns policy. Even applies to LEOs. I would dislike being an officer and responding to a call there... "Yeah, I'd love to come in and help but... Your company does not allow anyone with firearms in. Can you tell the bad guy(s) to come out here?" :lol:

Scrappy Koala

imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
Where are you or where did you open carry in long beach?

I open carry every day in long beach and the signal hill area.

we should have a meet up sometime, maybe go somewhere for a lunch or dinner... I've tried to convince all my friends to arm themselves and carry for self protection....

But they all voted for Obama and are the regular "Weed is Good, Guns are Bad" liberals.

I'd love to meet some like minded people in my area so lemme know whats goin on.

I live near downtown Long Beach and prefere to OC with other people. So call me up 562-234-7886

By the way Indy and I split up from Mykal and went into Albertsons and this lady was all smiles and "How you doing officers and then are you officers (with a big smile)" Indie said Nope with a smile then I said no with a smile and her smile amusingly faded:uhoh:

But it was all good. Was hilarious buying 2 cases of beer, 1 bottle of some weird liquar and a 6 pack of Amber Brok or something like that and having a .45 semi hahahaha :celebrate

I think the larger the group of open carriers the better. Also Mykal's situation is a bit on the scarry side given the types that hang near that place. But you have two or three open carrys and uhhhhh you would have to be pretty high on crack to mess with that .

Mykal

imported post

Our third experience we headed to Carrows in Cerritos. Only Indy was carrying. Long story short (hopefully he will post his soon). He was pulled out of Carrows by three officers, put in the back of the squad car, one of two there; and they took his ID, and checked the serial number on his handgun. While 2 more vehicles pulled up, one being a Sergant.

While he was being detained, i walked outside to make sure they weren't going to drive him down town. This is where OfficerPeters(I beleive, she was the blonde Officer)and Officer Escobedo(Male,black haired Officer) watched me watch Indy.

Officer Peters Kept walking behind me, and reading my texts. I believe she was trying to intimidate me, while i kept an eye on 2 other officers inspecting Indy's firearm. Officer Peters kept trying to get information from me and all i gave her was my 1st name. She tried to have 'small talk' and i wouldnt have any of it.

No i didnt have my recorder on because it was dead, which is why i did not carry. Officer Atkins apporached me and asked for my full name and ID, i asked if i was being detained. He Stated Yes. i had him state it twice for clarification then i procceded to ask why . He state because i was with Indy. I was not aware i could be guilty of nothing for knowing someone. so i gave him my full name and date of birth. I really didnt have my ID. I didnt give him my address and he wanted to know where i worked and i didnt give him either. Then Officer Atkins walks away from me left me without any officers there and i had to shout " am i free to go?" he said yeah yeah with his back turn to me.

I tried to get the conversation recored by calling someones cell but it didnt go through for some reason. oh well.

After the Fiasco, i went back in to talk to the manager, Sandy. She said it was making the customers uncomfortable, so they called the police. He is welcome back just with no firearm. I grabbed her business card and left Cerrritos.

Overall Officer Atkins was being a hardass, Officer Peters try to intimidate me and when that didnt work she tried the buddy-buddy thing, Officer Escobedo, talked little until we talked about CCW and he seemed to be Pro-Gun and understood we could not get a CCW. The Sergant (female, never got her name) never approached me, but she looked pissed. And the other officer looked a little on the overweight side couldnt figure out how to check a single action 22 revolver. It seemed he didnt even know how to operate the camera they took photos of Indy's handgun.

Time spent was about an hour.

Edit: We took the 91 to get there and the 605 to get out.

Carrow's
(562) 865-1316

19011 Bloomfield Ave, Cerritos, CA 90703

cato

imported post

make a complaint and talk to an attorney

As for any school zone, you were on private property (that doesn't mean a DA can't make a mistake).

Mykal

imported post

The one in the car is Offcier Atkins, Left is Escobedo, Right is Peters(i believe).

IMG_0571.jpg

Indy is in the back

IMG_0572.jpg

cato

imported post

They look pretty board. Next time guys just clear the call after the "e" check and you're 10-8 without the raised risk of a US Code 42 section 19834th Amendment suit and your picture all over the net;).

And take a hint from the boys (and lady) in blueofSan Diego PD!:

cato

imported post

Mykal wrote:
My other friend said by the time they came out to meet us there were 6 cars in total, 2 officers per car.

edit: to add the amount of officers

Guess they wanted to get in on the training experience. Seriously talk to a civil rightsattorney. The1 hour detention is about 59 min. too long under current law. You'll probably only get $1 dollar out of a Fed. Judge but the attorney will get his fees.

Not that you want to sue as I'm sure everyone here would rather be left alone.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have wondered what someones personal liability is if they call the cops for MWG?

If someone calls the police, say the Carrows' people admitted they called, can you sue them for the damages since they did not ask you to leave and instead defamed your character and violated your civil rights causing damages?

cato

imported post

Theseus wrote:
I have wondered what someones personal liability is if they call the cops for MWG?
None, except perhaps maybe or IF knowingly false information was related and you suffered some damages as a result of that information.

Mykal

imported post

Does still having to pay for the meal, take it to go and eating it cold( which i just ended up throwing away anyways) count?Because he was banned from entering the property according to the officers.

cato

imported post

No, don't sweat the small stuff. Whathe wantshis $12.09 back? Look into the rights violation if any and decide what you guys want to do.

Mykal

imported post

I am waiting on Indy to upload the sound file. We will review his conversation.

My only issue i had was being detained just because i 'knew' Indy, and he used that as an excuse to ID me. Other than that Officer Peter said the reason they were doing a serial number check was because "if it was stolen we would want to return it to it's rightful owner, if your gun was stolen wouldnt you want it returned to you?".