• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

camping and guns!

jorgegsxr

imported post

If you are doing an outdoors activity like camping, canoeing, hiking etc.. is it lawful to carry without a CCW?

also does anybody knows a place where i can go camping in central or northern californiaand do some shooting with my kids and family, i live in the sacramento area i dont want to drive more than 3 or 4 hours from here

please any info

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

National Forest, BLM opencarry is perfectly legal unloaded. If it's an unincorporated area then you can carry loaded. State parks, no carry (can't quote anything here but I do remember that being the case).

I advise reading through the publications and flyers here on the forum, they're very informative. Besides, a little personal research can give you knowledge of all kinds of laws you wouldn't otherwise ask for or think to investigate :cool:

Welcome to OCDO, have a pleasant stay, and remember... always know the law. Unless you're like me, then just ignore anything the government says and wait to be thrown in a torture chamber. :lol:

Mykal

imported post

Many california camping parks prohibit the carry,use,discharge a fire arm under Section 41.117. I requested a more fromal paper from the San Diego Parks and it states 41.118. I believe this is a typo, as i did further research it is infact 41.117. Also you can not carry to Resevoirs as it also states Water Code Ordianance ( i forget).

I suggest looking up your camping/hiking park online and checking the regulations and also get an email confirmation.

To whom it may concern,

I was unable to find your rules and regualtions on your website. Can you please advise me where i can find this information.

Thanks

They sent me an Adobe Rules and Regulations but was unable to copy the text as they have it on a security block.

prcE6

imported post

I read somewhere that there's a good shooting area near Lake Comanche. I'll have to look that up.

As far as camping or lake usage go, Comanche is "okay". Nothing special, but if there really is a good place to shoot nearby, it's stock goes up with me.

Too bad Colfax is closed. Camping at Rollins and going 5 minutes down the road to shoot, then hit the Red Frog for brews was THE thing todo, while it lasted...

VAReact

imported post

fighting_for_freedom wrote:
National Forest, BLM opencarry is perfectly legal unloaded. If it's an unincorporated area then you can carry loaded. State parks, no carry (can't quote anything here but I do remember that being the case).

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS. I inquired into the unincorporated status of Angeles National Forest (north of LA) as a possibility for loaded open carry while hiking. THIS IS NOT LAWFUL by Title 13 of the Los Angeles County Code, even though it is an unincorporated area in a National Forest. Here's the reference:

http://ordlink.com/codes/lacounty/_DATA/TITLE13/Chapter_13_66_FIREARMS__BOWS_A.html#15

See 13.66.560

I believe any California county ordinances can be looked up on this site.

Decoligny

imported post

Definitely almost all of Los Angeles County unincorporated area is a prohibited area by county ordinance.

Kern County on the other hand has virtually no ordiances against discharge in unincorporated areas, with the exception of in County Parks. So in Kern County you can Loaded Open Carry pretty much anywhere outside of city limits.

However, if I read the PCcorrectly, you can carry loaded at your campsite as it is considered your temporary domicile and is treated the same as if you were at your house.

VAReact

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Definitely almost all of Los Angeles County unincorporated area is a prohibited area by county ordinance.

However, if I read the PCcorrectly, you can carry loaded at your campsite as it is considered your temporary domicile and is treated the same as if you were at your house.
Decoliigny, that is my understanding as well regarding the campsite issue, as far as what I've researched. Since you're traveling "home" to the campsite, am I right in understanding that you can transport the firearm concealed and UNLOADED on thehike into your campsite? Of course, UOC is legal in this respect...

Decoligny

imported post

VAReact wrote:
Decoligny wrote:

Decoliigny, that is my understanding as well regarding the campsite issue, as far as what I've researched. Since you're traveling "home" to the campsite, am I right in understanding that you can transport the firearm concealed and UNLOADED on thehike into your campsite? Of course, UOC is legal in this respect...

The transporting concealed and unloaded, as far as I know, is limited to when you are hunting or fishing, and when you are going to and coming from hunting and fishing.

If you are talking about hiking in from where you parked your vehicle, then you would need to be carrying it in a locked case unloaded, if you conceal it, or Open Carry Unloaded.

grumpycoconut

imported post

Mykal wrote:
Many california camping parks prohibit the carry,use,discharge a fire arm under Section 41.117. I requested a more fromal paper from the San Diego Parks and it states 41.118. I believe this is a typo, as i did further research it is infact 41.117. Also you can not carry to Resevoirs as it also states Water Code Ordianance ( i forget).
Not trying to pick nits here but which code book are the numbers from? The state of CA has 29 different "Codes" and each of the 58 counties has its own code books and the gods alone know how manycode books the myriad cities have.Numbers without reference to the specific code are just frustrating.

hammerhands32

imported post

I was really hoping they just closed Colfax for the summer due to fire hazards.I was up there last summer and had a chance to talk to the rangers up there. I was told that Colfax would probably be closing for good due to environmental concerns. I had hoped this wasn't true.

prcE6

imported post

I hear ya there. Bummed about Colfax too. I've been meaning to talk to a ranger friend of mine and get some maps of forest and BLM lands. I'm hoping to find or start a new spot. When I do, I'll post it here. It will preferably be someplace with camping nearby, or at least a good place to fire up some BBQ. Nothing goes good with ribs like Hoppes!

Legal notice: That is a joke. Do not marinate your ribs in Hoppes. As a matter of fact, take very little of what Prc-E6says seriously. Besides, everyone knows Remoil goes better with pork.

hammerhands32

imported post

I picked up some area maps from the ranger station in Pollock Pines. Maybe when the snow is gone I can try and find a place for us sac guys to go up there. Colfax was nice due to the proximity of the Drooling Dog Barbecue.