• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The first thing you do is drag him inside

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I will bet good money that you have heard the advice “If you shoot an intruder on the porch, the first thing you do is drag him inside”. I have yet to meet someone who hasn’t heard this gem from an uncle, grandfather or cousin twice-removed. The person giving the advice often seeks to imbue it with authority by swearing that it was a police officer, judge or attorney who shared this sage wisdom with them.

http://www.examiner.com/x-3253-Minn...3d7-The-first-thing-you-do-is-drag-him-inside

Please read and share! Thanks!

John

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Deceptive thread title!!! Deceptive thread title!!!

For a moment there I thought John had gone off his rocker.

:)

Glad I read further.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
The jails are full of people who took legal advice from cops.
And from their cousins!!
Second, don't take advice from a cop's cousin either.
Or gun shop commandos, heck I try to tell my customers, don't take legal advice from me until they verify it for themselves out of the codes.

YllwFvr

imported post

How much money you willing to bet? ;)I have never heard that before. Then again most of my family is antis.

But as you say I would never think to move them or tamper with the scene. For all I know I got them in the spine and moving them would be the worst thing. If they drop leave them.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I heard that line before I reached my 'teens. 'Made about as much sense to me then as now. :uhoh:

Decoligny

imported post

I know of advice from Deputies is my area, "If there's a break in, and there is no body, there's no crime, and there are a lot of mine shaftsout here in the desert."

I wouldn't recommend following that advice.

MT GUNNY

imported post

I figure Once they Cross the Barrier of the Door way and you Shoot 2 times Center mass, More than likely they will fall back to the Porch.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My aunt was told that 30+ years ago by an police officer in the city named for the people of the southwind in the midwest. The exact wording as she recalled it was "if you shoot him at the door step make sure he falls inward." This statement has always generated a surreal encounter in my head...

Bang!
(perp) You shot me!
(aunt) Oh, you're hurt! Here, take my arm.
<perp takes arm to steady self as he starts to get wobbly>
<aunt takes step backward and he falls into the house instead of out on the porch>
(police) Good thing he fell into the house.

Moving a dead body = Very Bad
Helping a fatally wounded perp = Not so much?

Actually, that brings up a question: You are attacked in your home, your life is in danger and you use lethal force (multiple center mass shots). The attacker is stopped, falls to the ground and ceases moving...yet remains semi-conscious or conscious. You called 911 and the police and ambulance are en route.

What now? Do you render aid? Suppose he asks for a drink of water?

I think the smart move is to be unarmed and somewhere visible from the street when the police arrive, but I cannot countenance leaving the mortally wounded still conscious attacker unattended in the room especially if the attackers weapon is a firearm.

I realize this gets a little far fetched and presumes a clarity of mind unlikely to be present at that moment in time, nevertheless,....:question:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You're under no legal obligation to render aid. Call 911 'n be done with it.

compmanio365

imported post

Rattrapper wrote:
If still conscious, Keep cover on perp and call 911. Which means gun at low ready until help arrives.

Exactly.....how many times has someone shot a BG, thought they were unconcious, went to go help them and then was attacked by the BG, who was actually playing possum the entire time? I'd like to see the numbers on that.

I'll get someone to call 911 and get rescue rolling towards my location, but I'm not holstering my weapon until LEOs arrive or going anywhere near the perp's body.

YllwFvr

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Rattrapper wrote:
If still conscious, Keep cover on perp and call 911. Which means gun at low ready until help arrives.

Exactly.....how many times has someone shot a BG, thought they were unconcious, went to go help them and then was attacked by the BG, who was actually playing possum the entire time? I'd like to see the numbers on that.

I'll get someone to call 911 and get rescue rolling towards my location, but I'm not holstering my weapon until LEOs arrive or going anywhere near the perp's body.

Sounds like the Scream movies. The bad guy always got up again when you took your eyes off him. Damn BGs!

This ain't Hollywood....baby.:cool:

Ive never heard of someone getting back up to attack again.

Scenario: (your gonna have to brush the rust off your imagination)After having been shot I wouldlay there in my own blood, likely in considerable pain, the last thing I want to do is go after them again! If I got up at all I would be headin for the hills. And a good Doctor.

I do hear alot about BGs being caught at the hospital. Good idea, you didnt prick your finger on a rose bush, or cut yourself climbing in that broken window.

Me: Touch that hole...Hurts doesn't it?Yeah thats a gun shot, stay on the ground while I call the cops to drag you to prison.