• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Jiffy-Lube today

AyatollahGondola

imported post

This morning I followed my usual procedure of loading up my truck with general stuff; Laptop, tools, shotgun and 10 rounds...but then took a side trip to Jiffy Lube for a very overdue oil change. I transport the shotgun in the back window between the head rests and the glass, with 5 rounds rubber-banded together on the dashboard. As I pulled into their lot, a guy directed me is and had me do the usual pop the hood and answer a few quick questions. As I slid out of the truck, I grabbed my camera and the 5 rounds in one hand, the reached back and took out the shotgun. I followed the service guy into the customer service area where several other people awaited their lube jobs. It got me looked at pretty good. I sat down and kept the shotgun between my legs and fiddled with my camera until the service manager called me up to go over the service program. I grabbed the gun and leaned it against the counter as he methodically went through each line on the computer. When it was done, i returned to my seat again, placing the shotgun against the back wall by the chair. at this point, one service woman said it scared her at first glance as she went through another customers paperwork. A woman next to me said she understood why i wouldn't want to leave it in the truck while they worked on it. When the work was done, I went up and paid the bill, again leaving the shotgun leaned against the counter. I then followed the guy who performed the work out to the truck taking the gun with me, and then he went through all that they had done bit by bit. they then drove the truck out, and I walked out gun in hand, and at that time there was some comments by two of the service persons, but I couldn't through all the noise of that diesel engine. They were smiling though, so I believe it was all positive. I then stuck the gun in its' place in the back window, and mosy'ed off.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Man, we really need to get you some accessories.

1) A window mounted gun rack. (either that, or a locking vertical mount like the po po use.) My concern is that with your firearm nestled between the head rests and the glass, I can see you busting out your rear window if you had a sudden stop or were rearended by someone distracted by your hardware.

2) A bandolier sling/Stock cuff.Having to carry your ammunition in a wad, wrapped in a rubberband is a little clumsy. Case law has already made it clear that ammo stored this way is not a 12031 violation as it is not in a position to fire.

3) A shotgun sling. Yes I said it again. If I was inclined to carry a long gun, the only circumstances where it wasnt in my immediate possession and control would be while a 12031 (e) check was being conducted. I dont think I would set it anywhere, even if it was right next to me.

4) A belt holster. For your 9mm, so you dont have to rely solely on your truck gun.

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

nice story, i had been planning on taking the ar 15 out and open carry it but i think that would cause more problems than anything. especially what i am picturing to be a field shotgun, am i correct on that? either way that is awesome, im glad to see people actually open carrying a long gun. BRAVO!

AyatollahGondola

imported post

Hey! there is no money for more hardware or accessories right now. I do have a sling for it, but it's not quite comfortable in a chair. A sling with ammo pockets would be nice though; If not for anything but when I am on foot. You're right about the glass being a poor backstop, but these new trucks just don't accomodate gun racks anymore. Putting it in the front lacks the same display quality that you get in the back glass. That just says "I still have the right" and "yes, it's legal, and I'm proud to wear it".

The gun is basic mossberg with the short barrel on.

AyatollahGondola

imported post

Here's a couple of pics

Jiffylubelonggun.jpg

jiffylubelonggun2.jpg

Jiffylubelonggun4.jpg

Jiffylubelonggun3.jpg

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
Here's a couple of pics
jiffylubelonggun2.jpg
Far less threatening than my 870 Express in the synth black, folding stock and sling. . . I don't think I would have gotten away with it. . .

As for the window gun rack, I would be concerned that it would not qualify for a 626.9 container. Remember, it is against the law for them to see the gun!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

But only if it is being lawfully transported.

I have heard of people being arrested for possession of long guns.

And the knowledge of the law may not prevent someone from being scared and calling the cops.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
Theseus wrote:
But only if it is being lawfully transported.

I have heard of people being arrested for possession of long guns.

And the knowledge of the law may not prevent someone from being scared and calling the cops.
Legally transported?
Yeah, one of those things like...if you are actually going to a place to shoot...

The case I knew of was a guy that had been kicked out of his house by his wife. He was then sleeping in his truck with his shotguns, I believe the shotgun was in the bed of his truck. He was arrested and cited because he was not transporting.

If you cease to be transporting you will be subject to 626.9 BUT IANAL!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Theseus wrote:
If you cease to be transporting you will be subject to 626.9 BUT IANAL!
626.9 does not apply to long guns - at all... ever. You don't have to meet any 'transporting' exemption since the statute doesn't apply in the first place.

I'd be interested to hear exactly how your friend was cited, and if he fought it or not.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I know some people have "determined" that 626.9 does not include long guns, but I disagree.

It specifically states

626.9(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).

(e) As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:

(2) "Firearm" has the same meaning as that term is given in Section 12001.

12001(b) As used in this title, "firearm" means any device, designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel, a projectile by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
It clearly states the intent to include all firearms, not only ones capable of being concealed.

Some people have read this and concluded it doesn't effect 626.9:

(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.

This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in accordance with state law.

I disagree. This only exempts long guns if they are otherwise legally transported.

IANAL, but to believe that 626.9 does not regulate long guns as well is not advisable. It is clearly illegal to possess long guns in a school zone UNLESS it is being legally transported, an exemption not given to handguns or firearms capable of being concealed.

cato

imported post

But then 626.9 doesn't apply on private property which Jiffy Lube is.

+1 for shotgun carry:

photo by oleg volk:

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We aren't talking about private property, I was arguing about if he were to use a gun rack and what that might mean for 626.9.

I myself didn't think about the transportation exemption for long guns. . . I think I might install a vertical shotgun holder so that when OC I can simply ALWAYS lock the handgun when going place to place and not having to worry about school zones...

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So lets think. . . what defines "transporting" and what PC's restrict how a firearm can and can not be "transported" and for what purposes?

From my understanding the real limitations are always on handguns. By making 626.9 exempt long guns while being otherwise legally "transported" it leaves us a wide range of berth.

The argument might be made that whenever the shotgun is in the car and not removed it is in a constant state of being "transported".

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Theseus wrote:
This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in accordance with state law.

I disagree. This only exempts long guns if they are otherwise legally transported.
Look at this without the confusion of the rest of the statute cluttering the scene.

"...otherwise lawful transportation..." simply means you aren't violating any other statutes, such as 12031.

So, I was incorrect when I said 626.9 "never" applies to long guns. It would apply if (and only if) you were to violate any other law with a long gun while in a 'gun free school zone."

As for the 'stay in motion or you're no longer transporting' argument... give me a break! Imagine if that were applied to all the 'transportation' exemptions for 12025. You'd be committing a misdemeanor by stopping at a stop light.

(We've had this discussion on this forum before, and we're on the verge of threadjacking. If you want to discuss this further, I ask that you post a new thread. I'd be glad to pound sense into you elsewhere. :lol: )