Thread: (Non OC) Armed police reserves in VA

Post imported post

(Sorry, this is probably in the wrong forum but I can't figure out where else to post it.)

Hello- I have been talking to a friend of mine who is a sworn & armed armed reserve police officer in another state. This has caused me to start doing some research on my own to see if this is something which I might be interested in. My question is:

Are there any police departments in NOVA that have armed police reserves?

I know there are a number of unarmed police auxiliary units around, but I'm not interested in those. I think I'd like to do the "real deal." Plus, I think that there might be some possibility of basically getting a nation-wide CCW permit via LEOSA (the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act... which is actually part of US code now). Could you imaging what a knot DCMPD would get in their shorts if they knew a reserve officer from across the river was carrying in their fair enclave?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!!

Why not checkthe PD websites. There are not all that many.

PS: If you tell a soul I assisted a future police officer, even a reserve, I'll deny it and sue for defamation.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Welcome to OCDO!!!

PS: If you tell a soul I assisted a future police officer, even a reserve, I'll deny it and sue for defamation.
    QFT

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+15.2-1731

§ 15.2-1731. Establishment, etc., authorized; powers, authority and immunities generally.
    A. Localities, for the further preservation of the public peace, safety and good order of the community, may establish, equip and maintain auxiliary police forces, the members of which when called into service as hereinafter provided shall have all the powers and authority and all the immunities of constables at common law.
    B. Localities also may establish, equip and maintain auxiliary police forces which have all the powers and authority and all the immunities of full-time law-enforcement officers, if all such forces have met the training requirements established by the Department of Criminal Justice Services under § 9.1-101. Any auxiliary officer employed prior to July 1, 1987, shall be exempted from any initial training requirement, except that any such officer shall not be permitted to carry or use a firearm while serving as an auxiliary police officer unless such officer has met the firearms training requirements established in accordance with in-service training standards for law-enforcement officers as prescribed by the Criminal Justice Services Board.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

§ 15.2-1731. Establishment, etc., authorized; powers, authority and immunities generally.
    A. Localities, for the further preservation of the public peace, safety and good order of the community, may establish, equip and maintain auxiliary police forces, the members of which when called into service as hereinafter provided shall have all the powers and authority and all the immunities of constables at common law.
    B. Localities also may establish, equip and maintain auxiliary police forces which have all the powers and authority and all the immunities of full-time law-enforcement officers, if all such forces have met the training requirements established by the Department of Criminal Justice Services under § 9.1-101. Any auxiliary officer employed prior to July 1, 1987, shall be exempted from any initial training requirement, except that any such officer shall not be permitted to carry or use a firearm while serving as an auxiliary police officer unless such officer has met the firearms training requirements established in accordance with in-service training standards for law-enforcement officers as prescribed by the Criminal Justice Services Board.
    So they CAN.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:

But of course I have checked. I have googled my fingers to the bone, without much luck. The most promising thing I got was in Waynesboro... which is like 2.5 hours from where I live. I just wonder if anyone knows of a dept that I might not have thought of. Fairfax has auxiliaries, but like I said, I'm not interested in that.

Don't hate on cops... I have a lot of respect for many of them. We need them on our side just like they need us on theirs.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

So they CAN.
    Well, they can but do any depts in NOVA have armed reserves???

Post imported post

QFT? (I know... google is my friend... I just dunno...)

Okay, okay... "Quoted For Truth" Roger that.

Post imported post

llcoolg wrote:
    Well, they can but do any depts in NOVA have armed reserves???
    I suspect that very few will actually issue them a pistol.

I know that in some agencies they do have access and permission to use the shotgun in the cruiser if needed. But the shotgun does not go home with them either.

There is also the added expense in having to buy them a pistol. It will be up to each agency to set a policy to decide if they want the APO to be armed 24/7.

The APO does not get as much experience having to work only 20 hours a month either. That is less then 3 days as compared to a normal officer working 20. What happens if they stop showing up? They are armed and you have no idea what they are doing since they come in when they feel like it. Now you need to get a gun back from a guy who is not getting paid.

Sheriff, you were a reserve deputy. Were you armed by your department?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    SNIP Do you think I was going to patrol the roads in full uniform and a marked car without a gun?
    I think they call that Neighborhood Watch.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

and all the immunities of full-time law-enforcement officers,
    If you want to wear a uniform and carry a gun just join a PD, go to the PD academy and be done with it. If you are looking for a 'short cut' to wear a uniform and carry a gun, I heard the Army is hiring.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Sheriff, you were a reserve deputy. Were you armed by your department?
    Who? Me? I was an auxiliary deputy after I left full time employment. And of course I was armed.

Do you think I was going to patrol the roads in full uniform and a marked car without a gun? :what:
    Knowing how much of a JBT you are, yes!

Post imported post

llcoolg wrote:
    The only one I know of is the City of Fredericksburg. Many of the full-time officers there started out as part-time volunteers from their auxiliary program. The city runs the training over several months.

My friend Todd Bahr went through that program and was a volunteer for a while before he decided to sell his business and become a full-time officer. Unfortunately, he was killed in the line of duty last year.

Post imported post

Sorry to hear about your friend.

He was killed responding to the most dangerous call. Domestic disturbance. These calls often turn ugly while the officer is on the way there and the caller has hung up the phone.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/19407-po...icer-todd-bahr

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    and all the immunities of full-time law-enforcement officers,
    If you want to wear a uniform and carry a gun just join a PD, go to the PD academy and be done with it. If you are looking for a 'short cut' to wear a uniform and carry a gun, I heard the Army is hiring.
    Not looking for a shortcut. I choose not to go full time in a PD b/c I have a full time career doing something that is very important to our collective security. I would like to be able to "do the job" though in a reserve capacity. I am only interested in armed reserve work b/c I want to be properly trained and I have no interest in simply being a uniformed target.

Post imported post

les_aker wrote:
    llcoolg wrote:
    The only one I know of is the City of Fredericksburg. Many of the full-time officers there started out as part-time volunteers from their auxiliary program. The city runs the training over several months.

My friend Todd Bahr went through that program and was a volunteer for a while before he decided to sell his business and become a full-time officer. Unfortunately, he was killed in the line of duty last year.
    Some research has shown... http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/Fred...olDivision.asp

Thank you very much for the lead. I will look into them. Your friend's service is appreciated and sacrifice is very sad.

Post imported post

Town of Dumfries (just outside Quantico).

Also believe it or not, DC Metro Police Department.

Post imported post

llcoolg wrote:
    Not looking for a shortcut.
    I believe there are P.O.S.T. academysthat are offered to the GP that you could enroll in, not sure if there are any in VA.
    I would also consider getting firearms training if you don't already have some.
    http://www.csn.edu/academy.asp

www dot copcareer dot com

ETA: link
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Wait. We had a wallet stolen not too long ago from our office and the unit that showed up had a guy wearing an auxiliary patch. He was armed. This was in McLean. Fairfax County PD.

Post imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
    Wait. We had a wallet stolen not too long ago from our office and the unit that showed up had a guy wearing an auxiliary patch.* He was armed.* This was in McLean. Fairfax County PD.
    The armed part has to be an anomaly. Most auxiliary police forces are not allowed to carry arms for one reason or another. I know in Loudoun even the concealed carry permit holders are not allowed to carry when on duty as a sheriff auxiliary.

Post imported post

Maybe it was a taser and I just wasn't paying attention. But I know the man had a sidearm of some type.

Post imported post

Innnnteresting. What hand was he writing with and which side was the "gun"/TASER on?

Post imported post

He didn't write. The other fella did. He did say a lot of this kind of thing happens around here (wallet theft from businesses). Yada yada. It was on the right.

Post imported post

Probably a taser..... If he was not armed I guess it would not matter what side it was on. No way to mistake it as his pistol if he did not have one.

Right side could mean he is left handed. :P