• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

(Non OC) Armed police reserves in VA

gcrtkd

imported post

(Sorry, this is probably in the wrong forum but I can't figure out where else to post it.)

Hello- I have been talking to a friend of mine who is a sworn & armed armed reserve police officer in another state. This has caused me to start doing some research on my own to see if this is something which I might be interested in. My question is:

Are there any police departments in NOVA that have armed police reserves?

I know there are a number of unarmed police auxiliary units around, but I'm not interested in those. I think I'd like to do the "real deal." Plus, I think that there might be some possibility of basically getting a nation-wide CCW permit via LEOSA (the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act... which is actually part of US code now). Could you imaging what a knot DCMPD would get in their shorts if they knew a reserve officer from across the river was carrying in their fair enclave?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!!

Why not checkthe PD websites. There are not all that many.

PS: If you tell a soul I assisted a future police officer, even a reserve, I'll deny it and sue for defamation. :)

LEO 229

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-1731

§ 15.2-1731. Establishment, etc., authorized; powers, authority and immunities generally.
A. Localities, for the further preservation of the public peace, safety and good order of the community, may establish, equip and maintain auxiliary police forces, the members of which when called into service as hereinafter provided shall have all the powers and authority and all the immunities of constables at common law.
B. Localities also may establish, equip and maintain auxiliary police forces which have all the powers and authority and all the immunities of full-time law-enforcement officers, if all such forces have met the training requirements established by the Department of Criminal Justice Services under § 9.1-101. Any auxiliary officer employed prior to July 1, 1987, shall be exempted from any initial training requirement, except that any such officer shall not be permitted to carry or use a firearm while serving as an auxiliary police officer unless such officer has met the firearms training requirements established in accordance with in-service training standards for law-enforcement officers as prescribed by the Criminal Justice Services Board.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

§ 15.2-1731. Establishment, etc., authorized; powers, authority and immunities generally.
A. Localities, for the further preservation of the public peace, safety and good order of the community, may establish, equip and maintain auxiliary police forces, the members of which when called into service as hereinafter provided shall have all the powers and authority and all the immunities of constables at common law.
B. Localities also may establish, equip and maintain auxiliary police forces which have all the powers and authority and all the immunities of full-time law-enforcement officers, if all such forces have met the training requirements established by the Department of Criminal Justice Services under § 9.1-101. Any auxiliary officer employed prior to July 1, 1987, shall be exempted from any initial training requirement, except that any such officer shall not be permitted to carry or use a firearm while serving as an auxiliary police officer unless such officer has met the firearms training requirements established in accordance with in-service training standards for law-enforcement officers as prescribed by the Criminal Justice Services Board.
So they CAN.

gcrtkd

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Why not checkthe PD websites. There are not all that many.

PS: If you tell a soul I assisted a future police officer, even a reserve, I'll deny it and sue for defamation. :)
But of course I have checked. I have googled my fingers to the bone, without much luck. The most promising thing I got was in Waynesboro... which is like 2.5 hours from where I live. I just wonder if anyone knows of a dept that I might not have thought of. Fairfax has auxiliaries, but like I said, I'm not interested in that.

Don't hate on cops... I have a lot of respect for many of them. We need them on our side just like they need us on theirs.

gcrtkd

imported post

ed wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

So they CAN.
Well, they can but do any depts in NOVA have armed reserves???

gcrtkd

imported post

QFT? (I know... google is my friend... I just dunno...)

Okay, okay... "Quoted For Truth" Roger that.

LEO 229

imported post

llcoolg wrote:
Well, they can but do any depts in NOVA have armed reserves???
I suspect that very few will actually issue them a pistol.

I know that in some agencies they do have access and permission to use the shotgun in the cruiser if needed. But the shotgun does not go home with them either.

There is also the added expense in having to buy them a pistol. It will be up to each agency to set a policy to decide if they want the APO to be armed 24/7.

The APO does not get as much experience having to work only 20 hours a month either. That is less then 3 days as compared to a normal officer working 20. What happens if they stop showing up? They are armed and you have no idea what they are doing since they come in when they feel like it. Now you need to get a gun back from a guy who is not getting paid.

Sheriff, you were a reserve deputy. Were you armed by your department?

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Who? Me? I was an auxiliary deputy after I left full time employment. And of course I was armed.

Do you think I was going to patrol the roads in full uniform and a marked car without a gun? :what:

VAopencarry

imported post

and all the immunities of full-time law-enforcement officers,

If you want to wear a uniform and carry a gun just join a PD, go to the PD academy and be done with it. If you are looking for a 'short cut' to wear a uniform and carry a gun, I heard the Army is hiring.

hsmith

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Who? Me? I was an auxiliary deputy after I left full time employment. And of course I was armed.

Do you think I was going to patrol the roads in full uniform and a marked car without a gun? :what:
Knowing how much of a JBT you are, yes!

;) :lol:

les_aker

imported post

llcoolg wrote:

The only one I know of is the City of Fredericksburg. Many of the full-time officers there started out as part-time volunteers from their auxiliary program. The city runs the training over several months.

My friend Todd Bahr went through that program and was a volunteer for a while before he decided to sell his business and become a full-time officer. Unfortunately, he was killed in the line of duty last year.

gcrtkd

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
and all the immunities of full-time law-enforcement officers,

If you want to wear a uniform and carry a gun just join a PD, go to the PD academy and be done with it. If you are looking for a 'short cut' to wear a uniform and carry a gun, I heard the Army is hiring.
Not looking for a shortcut. I choose not to go full time in a PD b/c I have a full time career doing something that is very important to our collective security. I would like to be able to "do the job" though in a reserve capacity. I am only interested in armed reserve work b/c I want to be properly trained and I have no interest in simply being a uniformed target.

gcrtkd

imported post

les_aker wrote:
llcoolg wrote:

The only one I know of is the City of Fredericksburg. Many of the full-time officers there started out as part-time volunteers from their auxiliary program. The city runs the training over several months.

My friend Todd Bahr went through that program and was a volunteer for a while before he decided to sell his business and become a full-time officer. Unfortunately, he was killed in the line of duty last year.
Some research has shown... http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/FredPD/Organization/PatrolDivision.asp

Thank you very much for the lead. I will look into them. Your friend's service is appreciated and sacrifice is very sad.

Marco

imported post

llcoolg wrote:
Not looking for a shortcut.
I believe there are P.O.S.T. academysthat are offered to the GP that you could enroll in, not sure if there are any in VA.
I would also consider getting firearms training if you don't already have some.
http://www.csn.edu/academy.asp

www dot copcareer dot com

ETA: link

Rey

imported post

Wait. We had a wallet stolen not too long ago from our office and the unit that showed up had a guy wearing an auxiliary patch. He was armed. This was in McLean. Fairfax County PD.