Thread: My first Pistale

Post imported post

Here is a picture of my new dark earth XD-9. Not quite an Ed Brown, but a good first pistol.

Post imported post

Nice choice.

No reason to get a high end 1911 anyway. They're nice to have if you've got the money to spend, but they cost twice the amount of a Sig, or more, and you get the same level of performance.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Nice choice, I've been thinking about one in .45

Post imported post

The only issue I see, if this is your carry set up, is for you to replace the FMJ rounds with personal protection ammunition (hollow points).
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Thanks guys. I wouldn't carry for protection with FMJs. Just target rounds.

Post imported post

Personally if I could have afforded it I would've loved to have gotten this model. But for the time being my Beretta seems to suit seeing as I use just for practice shooting.
    If you don't mind me asking what interested you in this model as your first weapon?

Post imported post

Well, its a step up from a Glock (IMO). More features, better ergonomics (once again IMO), and a cheaper price tag. Plus its a Springfield. You can't go wrong.

It just felt really comfortable in my hands. Not to mention, the dark earth really grew on me for whatever reason.

Post imported post

Lucky wrote:
    Well, its a step up from a Glock (IMO). More features, better ergonomics (once again IMO), and a cheaper price tag. Plus its a Springfield. You can't go wrong.

It just felt really comfortable in my hands. Not to mention, the dark earth really grew on me for whatever reason.
    Yea you can't go wrong with a Springfield. Comforts what made me choose my 92fs between the weight and grip style it just seemed to flow.

Post imported post

Lucky,

Now that you have it, where are you going to shoot it? (I see that we live in the same neck of the woods.)

Custom.45acp

Post imported post

Yeah, I think comfort is the number one factor in buying a pistol. I know many people that think that Kimbers are a godsend even though glocks are more comfortable to them. Not to say they aren't, but you shouldn't base the decision of which pistol to buy solely on price. Just because its expensive, doesn't mean its right for you.

I have felt a lot of m92s and m9s and they just don't feel right in my hands. Some people swear by them, and in a lot of respects I do to. But, the first time I held the XD I knew that it was the pistol I wanted that was in my pricerange.

As for shooting it, I have been shooting at a hunting/shooting area out on Polk and 112th for a couple years. I have already brought it out there 3 or 4 times. I also work within visual range of Tulip City Rod and Gun.

Where about do you shoot Custom?

Post imported post

Picked up my XD45 compact last Thursday :celebrateI was looking to get it in either OD or EB but settled for the black. These things fly off the shelves when they get some in stock. Can't wait to get to the range and throw some through it.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Grand rapids/comstock park, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

+ 1 for SPRINGFIELD ARMORY :celebrate

the xd and XDm pistols are fantastic weapons. great pistol, not just good first pistol. they dont get much better. other than 1911

Post imported post

Lucky,

I've never shot there. Is it nice?

I belong to Chick-Owa Sportsman's Club and West Walker and have shot at South Kent.

Custom.45acp

Post imported post

Yeah, its a really nice indoor range. They have a couple rifle ranges but the club is mostly for pistols. Very clean, well kept, and some really nice guys run the place.

Ive never shot at any of the places you listed. Where are they?

Post imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
    I belong to Chick-Owa Sportsman's Club and West Walker and have shot at South Kent. LOCATIONS BELOW:
    Here are links:

http://www.chickowa.org/

http://www.wwsc.org/

http://www.sksc.org/

The first is the closest to us. It's on Ottagan just east of 96th (I think it's considered Zeeland, not sure.)

The second is very nice.

The third is also nice. It has many ranges and lots of activities (USPSA, IDPA, etc.)

Custom.45acp

Post imported post

+1 for XD

- Got mine yesterday (.45 ACP w/thumb safety)

- hope to go to range tomorrow!
    :celebrate

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO, jmartin
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Nice choice of pistol !

I will be looking at a SA XD 45and S&WM&P 45 on Monday. I might even check out their offerings in 40 SW (I believe it was Jeff Cooper who said "the best hadnguns are those whose caliber starts with a "4".)
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !" Patrick Henry

Post imported post

Nice jmartin. I wish mine had a thumbsafety...just for others' safety when handling (not that I show off a loaded gun).