• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first Pistale

Lucky

imported post

Here is a picture of my new dark earth XD-9. Not quite an Ed Brown, but a good first pistol.

SpringfieldXD-9003.jpg

Michigander

imported post

Nice choice. :cool:

No reason to get a high end 1911 anyway. They're nice to have if you've got the money to spend, but they cost twice the amount of a Sig, or more, and you get the same level of performance. ;)

DanM

imported post

The only issue I see, if this is your carry set up, is for you to replace the FMJ rounds with personal protection ammunition (hollow points). :)

UnSeen UnKnown

imported post

Personally if I could have afforded it I would've loved to have gotten this model. But for the time being my Beretta seems to suit seeing as I use just for practice shooting.
If you don't mind me asking what interested you in this model as your first weapon?

Lucky

imported post

Well, its a step up from a Glock (IMO). More features, better ergonomics (once again IMO), and a cheaper price tag. Plus its a Springfield. You can't go wrong.

It just felt really comfortable in my hands. Not to mention, the dark earth really grew on me for whatever reason.

UnSeen UnKnown

imported post

Lucky wrote:
Well, its a step up from a Glock (IMO). More features, better ergonomics (once again IMO), and a cheaper price tag. Plus its a Springfield. You can't go wrong.

It just felt really comfortable in my hands. Not to mention, the dark earth really grew on me for whatever reason.
Yea you can't go wrong with a Springfield. Comforts what made me choose my 92fs between the weight and grip style it just seemed to flow.

Lucky

imported post

Yeah, I think comfort is the number one factor in buying a pistol. I know many people that think that Kimbers are a godsend even though glocks are more comfortable to them. Not to say they aren't, but you shouldn't base the decision of which pistol to buy solely on price. Just because its expensive, doesn't mean its right for you.

I have felt a lot of m92s and m9s and they just don't feel right in my hands. Some people swear by them, and in a lot of respects I do to. But, the first time I held the XD I knew that it was the pistol I wanted that was in my pricerange.

As for shooting it, I have been shooting at a hunting/shooting area out on Polk and 112th for a couple years. I have already brought it out there 3 or 4 times. I also work within visual range of Tulip City Rod and Gun.

Where about do you shoot Custom?

Jblack44

imported post

Picked up my XD45 compact last Thursday :celebrateI was looking to get it in either OD or EB but settled for the black. These things fly off the shelves when they get some in stock. Can't wait to get to the range and throw some through it.

custom.45acp

imported post

Lucky,

I've never shot there. Is it nice?

I belong to Chick-Owa Sportsman's Club and West Walker and have shot at South Kent.

Custom.45acp

Lucky

imported post

Yeah, its a really nice indoor range. They have a couple rifle ranges but the club is mostly for pistols. Very clean, well kept, and some really nice guys run the place.

Ive never shot at any of the places you listed. Where are they?

custom.45acp

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
I belong to Chick-Owa Sportsman's Club and West Walker and have shot at South Kent. LOCATIONS BELOW:

Here are links:

http://www.chickowa.org/

http://www.wwsc.org/

http://www.sksc.org/

The first is the closest to us. It's on Ottagan just east of 96th (I think it's considered Zeeland, not sure.)

The second is very nice.

The third is also nice. It has many ranges and lots of activities (USPSA, IDPA, etc.)

Custom.45acp