• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The same old thread... Almost.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ixtow wrote:
OK, I'm finally making the plunge. Moving to AZ.

While I have attempted to be prepared, I have not really taken the search in earnest.

I have a Taurus PT-1911-AR. No, it's not the mini light rail that most 'railed' 1911s have. It's a full-size picatinny where the dust cover would be.

No one makes a holster for this, off the shelf.

What I'm looking for, is a custom holster maker; with retention. Just because my gun is weird, why should I have to let someone grab it?

From what I've seen, custom kydex holsters don't have the molded precision good looks of production kydex holsters... They're more or less just plastic kind folded around the gun and riveted for closure. Seems like a rip-off to pay 3-8x as much money for that compared to mass-produced retention holsters being sexy and cheaper.

Leather... Seems the only form of retention available here, is a snap/strap. Not to my liking. Easy to spot it and see how it works, defeating the security of retention. Hinders draw.

If I want to carry 'safely,' am I going to have to buy a different gun?
Umm ... Look up! At the top of the page is a link to Tucker Gun Leather. They do nice work.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Blade-Tech does QUALITY custom work with kydex. It would be worth looking into if the only reason you don't want kydex is a bad look from custom gear. Give 'em a call. 253-655-8059