• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rohrbaugh 9mm

pkbites

imported post

Now that I've secured all the "assault weap:quirkyns" I'll need prior to Obamas inevitable ban, I've been thinking of getting me a back up gun.

Well....a different B.U.G. anyway. My current one is a Kel-Tec 3AT (second generation).
But I'd like one that is the same caliber as my duty weapon, 9mm.

For now, the Kahr PM9 is my first choice.

But I'm intrigued by the Rohrbaugh 9mm. It seems even smaller than the Kahr, and for a BUG concealability (read: pocket carry) is very important to me.

So, here are some questions about the Rohrbaugh 9mm:

*Have you ever seen one in real life, not just pictures? How small is it really? Compare it's size to the Kel-Tec 3AT and the Kahr PM9.

*Have you ever fired one? How was recoil I've heard it kicks like a mother!

*Has anyone seen one of these in any gun shops in Wisconsin or northern Illinois? I'd like to see one first hand.

Thanks.

pkbites

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
I don't know much about them but I do know Rohrbaugh does not recommend +P.
Theres tons of info and pictures on the web, but I've yet to talk to anybody whose actually seen one in real life.

Toymaker

imported post

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi

I own and carry a Kahr PM9 and it's an excellent little gun. I considered the Rohrbaugh but I can't get past the price, the +P restriction, lack of a slide stop, and the requirement to replace the recoil spring every 200 rounds.

With that said, most of the people who ownRohrbaugh R9sseem to like them very much. They're designed to be carried a lot and shot a little.If you can afford one, maintainit properly, and feedit the right ammo it'll work just fine.You may not want to shoot +P in such a tiny and light gun anyway.

It's a nice tiny gun that conceals better than the PM9 and is well built.

Marco

imported post

I have seen one first hand, the $$$$ is an issue, the ammo restriciton isn't a big problem as Corbon makes a 90gr JHP designed for it.

I think I would go with a Micro Kahr and spend the money I would have spent on ammo and a nice pocket holster.

Just My $0.02.

compmanio365

imported post

I carry a Kel Tec PF-9 that can shoot anything 9mm all day, and if anything ever breaks I send it in for warranty work, for life. .78" wide, one of, if not the slimmest 9mm out there. Oh yeah, and I paid $220 new as well.

To buy a gun that is that expensive, that small, and that handicapped makes zero sense to me. Just my .02.

curtm1911

imported post

Ihave Big Hands and I find the Kel-Tec P-11 to fit better than the PF-9, also I like the double stack magazines 12 rounds of 9MM should fit the situation better than a single stack, You just never know how many rounds it might take to STOP THE THREAT!!! I prefer to have plenty of ammo available as opposed to running out at a Crucial Point in the Encounter, especially since it is a 9MM and I also carry extra mags.Also, you can use +Pin it, just not a steady diet of it. All things considered, I AM Happy to carry a P-11, and BTW, I just got my steel Recoil Spring Guide Rod in it and itfeels even Better and tighter too. A trip to the Gun Club is in order now to test it out, I will give a report as to the results.

curtm1911

imported post

Just back from the range and the fit/function test and results are A++

BTW I Recommend this part addition to any P-11 owners out there, it just seems to smooth it up and it does feel tighter too, Maybe it is just me but it did feel different running 50 rounds as fast as I could shove mags in it $6.95 + $7.75 UPS ground shipping Still no tack driver, but it ain't meant to be, but it did seem to be a tighter group

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Aglifter

imported post

I have a Rohrbaugh -- I'm very, very happy w. it. It's the best built gun I've seen in it's price class. It's not too bad to shoot, but it's certainly not a range toy. It's much smaller than a PF-9. The PF-9 may, or may not, be slimmer -- but it is considerably higher and longer. It's fairly close to a P3-AT in size, but not as slim, and not as light.

I've yet to find a pair of pants that my R9 can't easily drop into the front pocket. My buddy has to be fairly picky to find a pair w. large enough pockets to permit him to draw his PF-9 from his pocket.

I've carried my daily for about 4 years now -- my father has also carried one for about the same length of time -- and both of us have been very happy w. it.

Now, as for the 1K for a backup... it depends. If all your clothes that you ever wear can easily hold the PF-9, then go for it. Now that I've reworked my wardrobe completely around carrying, the Rohrbaugh does seem less needed -- I now mostly wear hunting pants w. pockets large enough to conceal a P7, if I want.

OTH, barring illegality, there's simply no excuse not to carry a R9 (aka "pup") w. you at all times, once you've bought one.

Part of the appeal of the R9 is that I have very large hands, as such, there aren't many guns that I can actually grab while in my pockets.

The trigger is excellent on the Rohrbaugh -- much better than either my P3-AT*, or the Kahrs I've shot.

*The P3-AT does excel for use in a suit jacket.