• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hey yall i just wanted some opinions

davis_dp

imported post

hey yall im new here and while i have yet to get my ltch i plan on getting it as soon as the funds become available. i really wasnt sure where to post this since it has to do with hr45 but i wanted to write a letter to senator evan bayh and wanted some opinions about it before i send it off...so tell me what yall think or anything i may should add

Senator Bayh,

Hello, my name is ________ and I am writing you in regards to HR45. Judging from your past voting record I am inclined to think you would be in support of this unconstitutional "infringement" on the american peoples right to bear arms
as guaranteed us under the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution. That being said I would just like to in form you that should you choose to support this bill or any other bill that would equate to any further infringement on the american peoples right bear arms especially here in Indiana then I will take every lawful action to see you voted out of office at next election.

You may be wondering why I am so against gun registration and gun control in general, well its quite simple really. I wish to be able to protect myself and my daughter from anyone who wishes me or her harm. You can look up my criminal record and you will see I do not have one. I am not a crazed maniac like anti-gunners would have the general public believe, I am simply a law abiding citizen with my and my daughter's best interest in mind.

I truly do not see how gun control laws will help cut down on the crime rate or even how an all out ban, which I personally feel is what the majority of liberals are wanting to see happen will have any real significance on the prevention of
crime. Let's face it criminals do NOT follow the laws so more gun laws will not do anything except keep law abiding citizens from being able to defend themselves and their families. Furthermore, the majority of licensed carrying handgun owners would
at the drop of a hat protect any innocent as well as themselves if the situation arose. Do not get me wrong I applaud law enforcement officers and what they do for the community, however, they cannot be in everywhere at once nor can they respond until after the fact, and by then it is usually too late.

I do intend to get my LTCH as soon as possible and I will open carry every place I can when I do not have my daughter and when I do have her I will conceal carry, and you may ask yourself why would I open carry? Simple because that would open
dialogue from the anti-gunners and "fence sitters." I am guessing you do not carry a firearm on your person but I bet any body guard you may have is carrying one so what is the difference between you wanting security and me wanting security? Truth is there is no difference your body guards are there to insure your safety same as I would insure my own safety because let's face it i do not have my own police protection 24/7/365. So am I correct and proper to assume that by your anti-gun policy and voting track record that you feel you are better than your constituency in Indiana, because gun registration leads to gun confiscation just look at England and their crime rate is not significantly better because of it.

Lastly, just remember we are watching your voting this was just to serve as notice to you that if you support HR45 or the like the law abiding, Constitution supporting gun owners of Indiana will see you stripped of power and out of Congress come
next election.

Thanks for any response,

P.S. this letter and any subsequent letter from you will be posted online at opencarry.mywowbb.com and any other gun forum I can find to let the public know your policy. Thanks again.

bobcat

imported post

Shorten it. Take out the veiled threats to do everything legal to get Bayh voted out of office. Take out any references to your personal action, i.e., LTCH.

Keep it to three short paragraphs.

Paragraph one should be limited to why you are writing and the specific reference to a Bill.

Paragraph two should contain your reasons why your Congresscritter should vote for or against. One or two strong reasons stated in a concise manner gets it done. Do not elaborate or get emotional.

Paragraph three should thank the Congresscritter for their time and support or consideration ofyour position on Bill XX.

Finally, absolutely proof your letter forspelling errors, omissions, etc. Any errors will absolutely ruin your credibility with whoever reads the document. Letters are typically screened by staffers, particularly at the Federal level. A poorly written letter may never make it to your congresscritter or if it does,will likelyget ash canned rather than read.

Neatly, repeat, neatly handwritten letters to the above format gets considerable traction with congresscritters/staff. If you can't write neatly, the computer is your friend.

Anything that is remotely threatening will be filed in the trash at the least. Long, droning letters also get the can, if they are even read completely. The best you can expect in any case is a form letter signed by your congresscritter unless you've worked hard at building a good relationship. This from discussions over the years with State and Fed folks...

Do as you will, good luck.

davis_dp

imported post

thanks for the input i was starting to wonder if anyone was ever going to chime in

i see what youre saying in it all so ill make some revisions when i get a chance and go from there

thanks again

bobcat

imported post

Davis_dp, yeah, sometimes traffic around here is a bit slow. Hope I have been of genuine help in your efforts.

Thanks for participating in activism on retaining and restoring our liberties.

davis_dp

imported post

bobcat wrote:
Davis_dp, yeah, sometimes traffic around here is a bit slow. Hope I have been of genuine help in your efforts.

Thanks for participating in activism on retaining and restoring our liberties.
you have been a great help to me as i have never addressed any issue with a member of congress i really had no idea how to even begin writing it out so i am grateful for the insight and instruction you have offered