Thread: Open Carry Question

Post imported post

Has anyone opencarried at the Clarkston Medical Group on Dixie HWY?I know that hospitals fall under the 'pistol free zone', but this place is considered an urgent care... I haven't been able to find any policy about this, but I will be the first to admit that I am not good at finding that stuff online... Thoughts and/or experiences please?

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Why do you want to carry there? Do you have business there? Do you work there? Do you have a CPL?

IS IT AN ACTUAL HOSPITAL?

More info would be nice.....

Post imported post

Well, that is where my doctor is, as well as my daughters. no, i do not have a CPL yet... I am hoping to eventually carry just about every where I go, and was just wondering about this place... I think it is considered an urgent care, so I don't think it is a hospital...

Post imported post

just mho urgent care clinics would be considered hospital property, whether they actually are or not. solution, get CPL, then OC :-)

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

tygereye wrote:
    Well, that is where my doctor is, as well as my daughters. no, i do not have a CPL yet... I am hoping to eventually carry just about every where I go, and was just wondering about this place... I think it is considered an urgent care, so I don't think it is a hospital...
    As a start look up the definition of hospital. If the urgent care falls within the definition then it could be argued that it's a hospital.

American Heritage dictionary:

1) An institution that provides medical, surgical, or psychiatric care and treatment for the sick or the injured.

Cambridge dictionary:

noun [C or U]
    a place where people who are ill or injured are treated and taken care of by doctors and nurses: a general/children's/maternity hospital hospital patients/staff
    UK I've got to go (in)to hospital (US to the hospital) for three weeks to have an operation. UK AND AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH She spent a week in hospital (US in the hospital) last year.

My opinion is that an urgent carecould fall under the definition of a hospital. But by the definitions given so could any doctors office and I'm assuming that a doctor's office is not considered a hospital unless it's in one. Urgent cares do not keep people overnight, they do not perform major surgeries, etc. They are as equipped as some large doctors offices and perform minor medical treatments. But to be safe I would not carry there unlessI had permission from the owner or their agent.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Sometimes I hate dictionary rule.

Ask anyone on the street, including a 3 year old, if an urgent care is a hospital, and they will tell you no.

Post imported post

Aren't hospitals non-for-profit whereas quick-care clinics arenot? ???? Does it make a difference? (I don't know...)

Post imported post

Hospitals are licensed in Michigan; The Clarkston Medical Group is NOT a hospital.

Although some Urgent-care Facilities are operated by Licensed Hospitals and would probably fall under MCL28.425o, some, such as Clarkston Medical Group, PC are not.

Searched for: CLARKSTON MEDICAL GROUP, P.C.
    ID Num: 294626

Entity Name: CLARKSTON MEDICAL GROUP, P.C.
    Type of Entity: Domestic Professional Service Corporation Resident Agent: TIMOTHY O'NEILL
    Registered Office Address: 6770 DIXIE HWY STE 200 CLARKSTON MI 48346 Mailing Address:
    Formed Under Act Number(s): 192-1962
    Incorporation/Qualification Date: 8-31-1984
    Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN
    Number of Shares: 50,000
    Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 08
    Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors: 08
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
    Aren't hospitals non-for-profit whereas quick-care clinics arenot? ???? Does it make a difference? (I don't know...)
    PC (Professional Corporations) are corporations formed by persons who have professional licensure in Michigan.

Hospitals can be Non-Profit or For Profit

If a health care facility uses the word "hospital", it is covered by Licensure.

You can look up the licensure of a health care facility, and see if it is a "hospital" here:

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/free/def...p?Facility=Yes

(select "Health Care Facility" in the drop-down menu.)

Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

Thanks everyone, I will keep all this in mind...