• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Question

tygereye

imported post

Has anyone opencarried at the Clarkston Medical Group on Dixie HWY?I know that hospitals fall under the 'pistol free zone', but this place is considered an urgent care... I haven't been able to find any policy about this, but I will be the first to admit that I am not good at finding that stuff online... Thoughts and/or experiences please?

tygereye

imported post

Well, that is where my doctor is, as well as my daughters. no, i do not have a CPL yet... I am hoping to eventually carry just about every where I go, and was just wondering about this place... I think it is considered an urgent care, so I don't think it is a hospital...

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

tygereye wrote:
Well, that is where my doctor is, as well as my daughters. no, i do not have a CPL yet... I am hoping to eventually carry just about every where I go, and was just wondering about this place... I think it is considered an urgent care, so I don't think it is a hospital...
As a start look up the definition of hospital. If the urgent care falls within the definition then it could be argued that it's a hospital.

American Heritage dictionary:

1) An institution that provides medical, surgical, or psychiatric care and treatment for the sick or the injured.

Cambridge dictionary:

noun [C or U]
a place where people who are ill or injured are treated and taken care of by doctors and nurses: a general/children's/maternity hospital hospital patients/staff
UK I've got to go (in)to hospital (US to the hospital) for three weeks to have an operation. UK AND AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH She spent a week in hospital (US in the hospital) last year.

My opinion is that an urgent carecould fall under the definition of a hospital. But by the definitions given so could any doctors office and I'm assuming that a doctor's office is not considered a hospital unless it's in one. Urgent cares do not keep people overnight, they do not perform major surgeries, etc. They are as equipped as some large doctors offices and perform minor medical treatments. But to be safe I would not carry there unlessI had permission from the owner or their agent.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Hospitals are licensed in Michigan; The Clarkston Medical Group is NOT a hospital.

Although some Urgent-care Facilities are operated by Licensed Hospitals and would probably fall under MCL28.425o, some, such as Clarkston Medical Group, PC are not.

Searched for: CLARKSTON MEDICAL GROUP, P.C.
ID Num: 294626

Entity Name: CLARKSTON MEDICAL GROUP, P.C.
Type of Entity: Domestic Professional Service Corporation Resident Agent: TIMOTHY O'NEILL
Registered Office Address: 6770 DIXIE HWY STE 200 CLARKSTON MI 48346 Mailing Address:
Formed Under Act Number(s): 192-1962
Incorporation/Qualification Date: 8-31-1984
Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN
Number of Shares: 50,000
Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 08
Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors: 08
[size="-2"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Status: ACTIVE [/font][/size] [size="-2"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Date: Present [/font][/size]

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
Aren't hospitals non-for-profit whereas quick-care clinics arenot? ???? Does it make a difference? (I don't know...)
PC (Professional Corporations) are corporations formed by persons who have professional licensure in Michigan.

Hospitals can be Non-Profit or For Profit

If a health care facility uses the word "hospital", it is covered by Licensure.

You can look up the licensure of a health care facility, and see if it is a "hospital" here:

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/free/default.asp?Facility=Yes

(select "Health Care Facility" in the drop-down menu.)