• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is OC in Louisville a bad idea?

Soundtrackzz

imported post

Hey all. im new here. ans new to handguns in general. Just bought my first one yesterday. (its a SIG 229 in .40 if anyone is interested) So heres the deal. Im a college student who goes to school in VA but is a resident of KY and lives here during the summer and breaks and whatnot. Since louisville is most definately the most liberal part of the state im thinking that it is not a good idea to OC here. I really dont want any trouble from local cops, not that i think they are bad people but they probably just arent used to seeing guns in the open. Its a hard job after all. I need to deal with the court hassles, my parents are big on guns and woud probably stop paying for rent at college. What do you all think?

Thanks

chris in va

imported post

I'm struggling with this myself, having just moved here from VA. Still haven't seen anyone OC'ing in the Louisville area, although there *is* a barber shop in Okolona called "The Worlds Safest Barber Shop" where the guys OC and even sell various souvenirs.

Thing is, LEO's can question you but as long as you're obeying the law and not causing a disturbance, you're good to go. Establishments can ask you to leave, and if you cause a stink, argue or refuse they can get you on trespassing charges.

Should be an interesting thread.

BTW you should check out Knob Creek sometime. They're having a machine gun shoot next month too.

Soundtrackzz

imported post

The disturbance thing is what will most likely cause the most problems. A police officer could say that we are diturbing thepeace by OCing. And if someone actually calls 911 about a guy with a gun, they might actually be able to nail us for that. I have a proffesor that is a former police chief who explains disturbing the peace as "someone who isnt a LEO making a big stink about what you are doing".

rentamedic

imported post

i live and work in louisville open carry is ok but you need to think about where your going for thr day frist send me a pm and we can do lunch some time

v8shoguy

imported post

I'll be down later this week, Middletown area. I will be back for good over the summer. If someone wants to meet up, PM me as well

TheMrMitch

imported post

Carrying in Louisville a bad idea? We need to find out if it isso by carrying in Louisville.

All membersmeeting on a certain timeand place. Very easily set up and dinner afterward. It will come out good. No Problems.

Literature will be avaiable to pass out to the masses.

We NEED to do this.:celebrate

Soundtrackzz

imported post

Even though im the one that started this topic i cant actually make a meeting. Im going back to Virginia for college at the end of this week

TheMrMitch

imported post

Disturbing the peace by open carrying is a VERY hard charge to bring upon an individule. I would not let that be a basis for stopping open carry.

Let's get it going. Someone in Louisville needs to pick the best spot and time to show our hands and contact the police and media.

Then a peaceful walk/ride to a resturant for dinner.

Let's ROLL!:what:

rajiii2002

imported post

I work as an armedsecurity guard in Downtown Louisville (at one of the worst projects) and I work with a Detective, a Deputy Sheriff, and a handful of Sworn Corrections Officers. I have spent some time with each of them talking about OCing here in Louisville. All without exception have said that it is legal as long as you have a valid state ID and at least 3/4 of the firearm is visible.

I carry a 1911 Colt Gov on my side and have beento the Sphegetti Factory, 4 different McDonalds, the Toco Bell on Broadway & I65, 2 Kroger Grocery Stores, Dairy Queen, Unique Thift, and almost everywhere elsein Downtown Louisville and Southern Indiana (I have my LCT for Indiana) firearms are not prohibited. I have also carried to a few restaurants on Dixie Hwy, St Matthew's Mall, Wal-Mart on Hurstbourne Pkwy, and Green Tree Mall and surrounding shops in Clarksville, IN and noone has ever said a word to me in the two years I have been OCing about my firearm other thanin a conversation.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

There is no statute that requires a human being to have a state issued i.d. on their peson. Thestatute says one has to have a valid drivers license on or about their person if they are operating a motor vehicle. Kentucky has no stop and search statutes as they are UN-CONSTITUTIONAL.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:
The disturbance thing is what will most likely cause the most problems. A police officer could say that we are diturbing thepeace by OCing. And if someone actually calls 911 about a guy with a gun, they might actually be able to nail us for that. I have a proffesor that is a former police chief who explains disturbing the peace as "someone who isnt a LEO making a big stink about what you are doing".

As a legal matter, you can't disturb the peace by exercising a right.

langzaiguy

imported post

I don't know, but it's probably worth saying that there are no "disturbing the peace" statutes in the KRS.

Thoriz

imported post

525.060 Disorderly conduct in the second degree.
(1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct in the second degree when in a public place and with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm, or wantonly creating a risk thereof, he:
(a) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous, or threatening behavior;
(b) Makes unreasonable noise;
(c) Refuses to obey an official order to disperse issued to maintain public safety in dangerous proximity to a fire, hazard, or other emergency; or
(d) Creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act that serves no legitimate purpose.
(2) Disorderly conduct in the second degree is a Class B misdemeanor.

-------------------

Highlighted section are my own emphasis. I think based on these two points, there is no way anyone could be DC by OC. My 2cents. --Thoriz

the500kid

imported post

Hey I guess I'll post this here. I was just in Louisville Tuesday afternoon to Thursday morning. OC'ed everywere. I was in town for a convention with 7,000 other people. I had no problems I saw lots of police never really shure if they saw me. I'm pretty certian the securtiy or police at the convention center saw me on 2 diffrent occassions maybe more. no problems from them. I had to talk about my gun Springfeild Armoury 1911 a lot and had other people tell me they CC'ed or left their's in the safe in the hotel room....I didn't ask. Hope it helps. Nice state to visit.

mjmontey1

imported post

I'm new here, just joined tonight. I prefer open carry over concealed for the sole purpose of acclimating the public. I would be more than happy to meet with a group and open carry in downtown louisville. I would love to have an open carry march in downtown louisville. Does anyone know how to get the ball rolling on this? I am more than willing to help in any way I can.

Kriegsammler

imported post

I can be found at Highland Coffee on Bardstown Rd (Where Blockbuster in the Highlands is located) most weekday evenings.. just look for the guy with the big revolver on his hip.. :)

-Adam