Thread: Indiana Truck Gun?

Post imported post

Does anyone know the legality of a rifle in the trunk for emergency situations?

Does loaded/unloaded/loaded but not chambered make a difference?

Post imported post

you may want to lookup the actual law but last i heard as long as it was unloaded you could transport no problems...but id still tell the cops that it was there if you were to get pulled over

Post imported post

but id still tell the cops that it was there if you were to get pulled over
    Why?

Post imported post

Skippy wrote:
    but id still tell the cops that it was there if you were to get pulled over
    Why?
    because generally speaking i feel that its usually better to err on the side of caution than to look suspicious for covering it up then if the cop wants to question you about why you have it then let them know whichever reason you want....whether you choose to tell them its for emergency purposes or just because its your right as an american

the point is that the more people that can be swayed to the pro 2nd amendment side the better and that will only happen if the responsible gun owners open dialogue with antis and fence sitters

but maybe im in the wrong but its just my two cents

Post imported post

To the best of my knowledge, long guns are virtually unregulated in Indiana. It's handguns that are licensed for carry, etc. Obviously, there are age and paperwork restrictions on the purchase, and the same laws of don't be a tool with it and be a danger to those around you apply, but loaded, unloaded, the long gun can be in your truck's rear window.

Now, there's a question of, "Is it smart to keep a long gun where it can be seen in my automobile?" The answer to that is most likely no, as it'll just make your vehicle a target for smash and grab skels. If that firearm is maintained loaded, all the worse.

Now, there are automotive gun racks that are lockable so that there's no way, short of the key or a blowtorch that the firearm can be liberated from the automobile, but the view of it would still make your vehicle a more tempting target in general.

Post imported post

+1I would agree with " Cathyinblue " , be safe anyway you carry . !! CathyInBlue wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge, long guns are virtually unregulated in Indiana. It's handguns that are licensed for carry, etc. Obviously, there are age and paperwork restrictions on the purchase, and the same laws of don't be a tool with it and be a danger to those around you apply, but loaded, unloaded, the long gun can be in your truck's rear window.

Now, there's a question of, "Is it smart to keep a long gun where it can be seen in my automobile?" The answer to that is most likely no, as it'll just make your vehicle a target for smash and grab skels. If that firearm is maintained loaded, all the worse.

Now, there are automotive gun racks that are lockable so that there's no way, short of the key or a blowtorch that the firearm can be liberated from the automobile, but the view of it would still make your vehicle a more tempting target in general.
    " A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State,
    The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed ".