• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana Truck Gun?

Fish

imported post

Does anyone know the legality of a rifle in the trunk for emergency situations?

Does loaded/unloaded/loaded but not chambered make a difference?

davis_dp

imported post

you may want to lookup the actual law but last i heard as long as it was unloaded you could transport no problems...but id still tell the cops that it was there if you were to get pulled over

davis_dp

imported post

Skippy wrote:
but id still tell the cops that it was there if you were to get pulled over
Why?

because generally speaking i feel that its usually better to err on the side of caution than to look suspicious for covering it up then if the cop wants to question you about why you have it then let them know whichever reason you want....whether you choose to tell them its for emergency purposes or just because its your right as an american

the point is that the more people that can be swayed to the pro 2nd amendment side the better and that will only happen if the responsible gun owners open dialogue with antis and fence sitters

but maybe im in the wrong but its just my two cents

CathyInBlue

imported post

To the best of my knowledge, long guns are virtually unregulated in Indiana. It's handguns that are licensed for carry, etc. Obviously, there are age and paperwork restrictions on the purchase, and the same laws of don't be a tool with it and be a danger to those around you apply, but loaded, unloaded, the long gun can be in your truck's rear window.

Now, there's a question of, "Is it smart to keep a long gun where it can be seen in my automobile?" The answer to that is most likely no, as it'll just make your vehicle a target for smash and grab skels. If that firearm is maintained loaded, all the worse.

Now, there are automotive gun racks that are lockable so that there's no way, short of the key or a blowtorch that the firearm can be liberated from the automobile, but the view of it would still make your vehicle a more tempting target in general.

GLOCKMAN40

imported post

+1I would agree with " Cathyinblue " , be safe anyway you carry . !! CathyInBlue wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, long guns are virtually unregulated in Indiana. It's handguns that are licensed for carry, etc. Obviously, there are age and paperwork restrictions on the purchase, and the same laws of don't be a tool with it and be a danger to those around you apply, but loaded, unloaded, the long gun can be in your truck's rear window.

Now, there's a question of, "Is it smart to keep a long gun where it can be seen in my automobile?" The answer to that is most likely no, as it'll just make your vehicle a target for smash and grab skels. If that firearm is maintained loaded, all the worse.

Now, there are automotive gun racks that are lockable so that there's no way, short of the key or a blowtorch that the firearm can be liberated from the automobile, but the view of it would still make your vehicle a more tempting target in general.