• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scratched off ID number on Gun!!

darthmord

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Doesn't matter how many numbers it has... This pistol had an attempted obliteration of a S/N. That in itself raises the RED Flag. The gun is most very likely stolen. 'Possibly used in a criminal act... up to and including murder. I would assume immediately that the gun is HOT. It was bought 'on the street'... which is another crime. Get rid of it! I mean... don't sell it... destroy it. (OR) Wipe your prints off it... put it in a baggie and mail it to the local cop shop from out of state somewhere. No Fed-Ex... use stamps 'n drop it in a mailbox. Wear gloves when handling the stampsand package. DO NOT KEEP THE GUN!

'Bought on the street' is only illegal if a law exists to prohibit such. If this happened in VA, it would have been perfectly legal to conduct a private (non-commercial) transaction.

But yeah, I'd have not bought it if I saw a SN was scratched off / obliterated.

Thundar

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
It was bought 'on the street'... which is another crime....No Fed-Ex... use stamps 'n drop it in a mailbox. Wear gloves when handling the stampsand package. DO NOT KEEP THE GUN!
What crime is involved in buying a firearm off of the street? Private sales are perfectly legal.

Mailing a handgun in the US Mail is a federal crime unless you are an FFL dealer.

curtiswr

imported post

Not too sure about following the advice of throwing it off a bridge either...

How many times have you watched a crime documentary in which someone was tied up/connected to a crime by being seen throwing something into water? Not too sure that dropping it in a mailbox would be the best option either, being that it is a federal crime.

Sounds like those two bits of advice would lead to even more suspicion on your brother about being involved with anything than if he lawyered up and came forward about how he really came to aquire it.

I hope it's not just me that those ideas appear very sketchy to.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

OK... buy whatever ya want... wherever ya want. Keep the pistol... great price... I don't freakin' care.

Not somethin' I'd even consider if I was snotslingin', kneewalkin' drunk.

curtiswr

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
OK... buy whatever ya want... wherever ya want. Keep the pistol... great price... I don't freakin' care.

Not somethin' I'd even consider if I was snotslingin', kneewalkin' drunk.

I guess that the state of Arizona and the people who support the laws there did a good job of making you perfectly afraid of private sales? Here in VA we handle them, for the most part, with professionalism. Sure, someone that seemingly doesn't have a knowledge of guns may make a goof up and overlook something when buying, be it big or small, from time to time, but for the most part we handle things properly here.

Along with handling a private sale properly comes the responsibility of realizing if you did make an error you should not further implicate yourself in anything by breaking more laws in throwing the shifty firearm off a bridge or dropping it in a mailbox.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Kiss off with the 'professionalism' crap. Nobody buys a gun off the street... Private sales between known parties yeah... but not outta some dude's car trunk. Don't gimme that 'we in Virgina' crap either... I used to live there. OC's been recognized in Arizona since before there was an Arizona... You 'guess'? You guess wrong cupcakes. It's easy to tell sombody to 'lawyer up' when it's not comin' outta your pocket too. I'd off that piece inna nano-second. 'Nuther sniffy elitist... How long you been heeled fella? 'Past year or two?

AbNo

imported post

Damn, Sonora, who pissed in your coffee this morning?

Anyway, as far as the serial number, has anyone tried calling that supposedly all-mighty Glock company to see what they can do about it?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Seems to me I've come across a situation like this in my reading somewhere.

If I recall, the advice was to take the suspicious gun to a lawyer and let him turn it in to police. Supposedly the attorney-client confidentiality privilege would put the attorney beyond questioning by police.

Of course, you could always cut out the remaining serial number(s) and obliterate the gun. Nothing illegal about obscuring the gun while keeping a set of gun-less serial numbers in your possession. :)

curtiswr

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Kiss off with the 'professionalism' crap. Nobody buys a gun off the street... Private sales between known parties yeah... but not outta some dude's car trunk. Don't gimme that 'we in Virgina' crap either... I used to live there. OC's been recognized in Arizona since before there was an Arizona... You 'guess'? You guess wrong cupcakes. It's easy to tell sombody to 'lawyer up' when it's not comin' outta your pocket too. I'd off that piece inna nano-second. 'Nuther sniffy elitist... How long you been heeled fella? 'Past year or two?

Sounds like you don't think it happens here in VA simply because your principles wouldn't allow you to buy or sell privately when you were here in VA. Simply because you don't like it and wouldn't do it doesn't mean that it is a bad thing for anyone and everyone that does.

Calm down, take a chill pill, and be happy that you are great, almighty and would never ever make a mistake like the OP's brother. Talk about elitist.

fire_man2340

imported post

Hey man i don't know what your problem is but i didn't say anything to you, in a wrong why to you,I'm just try to help my brother, and i told him every thing everyone on here told me, it's up to him, Were no thugs, he never notice the number until be done got the gun, if he keeps it that's on him,

fire_man2340

imported post

And your going to TRY' try being the key word there, saying (Kiss off with the 'professionalism' crap. Nobody buys a gun off the street) Because it's going to make you look stupid. We can ALMOST buy any gun we want from who ever we want in Va. because that's how it should be, i shouldn't need the big man's say so, of who,what,when,where i spend my hard earn money, just because you live in Arizona dont been Arizona knows best, there's people there that do the same as us he in Va. but illegal. So who's in the right and wrong now, Just let it go!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ok guys everyone just chill. There is plenty of "hollyer than thou" to go around off this list so you don't need to bring it here.

Again IANAL, and again IMHO,

There may be a lot of reasons to get rid of this weapon. I can see no reasons to keep it. Lets see, Glock $275... new holster $100. Free trip to Leavenworth... Priceless.

That said, the ONLY reason to turn this gun over to the police would be a suspicion that it could be evidence in a crime. I can assure all of you that they would run the number to see if they could trace the origins and ownership history and determine if it was stolen. If they are very bored that day, they might fire a bullet through it and send it off somewhere in case someone else is bored enough to see if it might match one of the recovered bullets from the thousands of unsolved shootings. (not likely)

Since we now know that the number that is damaged is in fact the one on the bottom of the front part of the frame, we can reasonably conclude that the damage MAY have been caused by a holster or even some after market accessory. That said the laws are fairly clear. If you are in POSSESSION of a firearm where an ATTEMPT has been made to OBSCURE OR OBLITERATE the serial number, you are in violation. The law does not seemto have an exception for having additional numbers on the same gun that are not damaged. It might be possible to get righteous somehow with the Glock factory, but I doubt it. Who here wants to send it off to the factory and find out what the history of the gun is?

So the SAFEST course of action is to get rid of the gun via the closest legal path. There is NO law against sawing the frame in half on any firearm. The moment you do that it is no longer a functions firearm and that is the end of it.

VAopencarry

imported post

If its the number on the frame your brother is screwed. Throw it away in pieces.

Turning it into law enforcement is like walking in and confessing to a crime. Dump it and do not look back.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Chopsaw that pistol into 1/4 inch slices, then blowtorch them into puddles of plastic and metal. Problem solved.
A $250 lesson is ALOT cheaper than 5-10 in the graybar hotel.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Glocks have three locations for their serial numbers: the barrel, the slide, and the frame. Check them all.
The frame is the only official serial number.

Yes sir, that's true. I was merely pointing out that there are (up to) three of them on a Glock. After market barrels and slides, of course, are the exceptions.

Thanks for the correction.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

All of this does point up some interesting points. Even if he lawyers up, what is the chance of the police attempting to follow the trail of this piece? After all, the fact that he has turned in this gun (via his attorney) would probably tell them that he is not a criminal. But I have to believe they would want to know the history of the gun.

Any takers?

IanB

imported post

I am not giving advice here <grin>

But If I had an unwanted, possibly illegal crime gun that I bought off the street such as you and was afraid to keep/carry... my thinking mind would say "This gun might be useful if there ever comes a time when there are NO LAWS, no justice system, only anarchy, perhaps instead of donating this handgun to the police (if you turn it over, you won't ever get it back, trust me) I can put it somewhere safe."

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html

Just a thought, I'd never do anything like that.