• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scratched off ID number on Gun!!

fire_man2340

Hey my older brother who's 26 can go into a gun shop and buy a gun with out a problem, but he found a great deal on a GLOCK40 for like $275 some guy was selling, so he just got that one, and this past week he notice where the ID number's were scratched off of it, he called the guy about it and he said he never notice it, because he had got it from one other guy. But what can he do about it as far as putting it in his name, IF YOU CAN HELP Please DO!! or if you have any idea's..

TFred

imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
Hey my older brother who's 26 can go into a gun shop and buy a gun with out a problem, but he found a great deal on a GLOCK40 for like $275 some guy was sailing, so he just got that one, and this past week he notice where the ID number's were scathed off of it, he called the guy about it and he said he never notice it, because he had got it from one other guy. But what can he do about it as far as putting it in his name, IF YOU CAN HELP Please DO!! or if you have any idea's..
I'm sure someone with more knowledge can answer this more thoroughly.

My quick glance at the Code of Virginia showed me that it is illegal to remove or deface the serial number on a gun, but I couldn't find any law against possession or ownership of a gun that had a defaced serial number.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-311.1

Surely you must realize that no good can come of this. It doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out that there is bound to be bad news associated with this firearm.

IANAL, but you should probably talk to one to see how best to handle this situation!

TFred

curtiswr

imported post

I would turn it into the police department and prepare for questions about who I got it from and potentially where I was at what time and date, and yeah.. consult with a lawyer first.

tsannicolas

imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
Hey my older brother who's 26 can go into a gun shop and buy a gun with out a problem, but he found a great deal on a GLOCK40 for like $275 some guy was sailing, so he just got that one, and this past week he notice where the ID number's were scathed off of it, he called the guy about it and he said he never notice it, because he had got it from one other guy. But what can he do about it as far as putting it in his name, IF YOU CAN HELP Please DO!! or if you have any idea's..
when you say "sailing", you mean "selling", right?

because for a second there, I thought maybe your brother got it from a Sailor.

Legba

imported post

This is a problem, yes. It's a federal crime (and probably a state one everywhere also) to be in possession of a firearm with a defaced/obliterated serial number - q.v. sec 478.34 USC.

-ljp

TFred

imported post

Legba wrote:
This is a problem, yes. It's a federal crime (and probably a state one everywhere also) to be in possession of a firearm with a defaced/obliterated serial number - q.v. sec 478.34 USC.

-ljp
Ah thanks, I couldn't find anything like that in the Code of Virginia.

Here is the text:

§ 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.

No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

[T.D. ATF–313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991]
They are using the Interstate Commerce clause here again. How many laws would suddenly become null and void if that clause were removed?

Now here's a question... I know some firearms have a second copy of the serial number in a less conspicuous place, if that second copy is still there, does this federal law apply? How does one find out where this second copy is, so they can check for it?

TFred

fire_man2340

imported post

So the only thing he can do is turn it in to the police, and wait. would he beable to get it back from them after they get done doing what ever they have to do with it,or is he just out of the money and the gun?

TFred

imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
So the only thing he can do is turn it in to the police, and wait. would he beable to get it back from them after they get done doing what ever they have to do with it,or is he just out of the money and the gun?
What part of "It's a Federal crime to possess a gun with a defaced serial number" isn't making sense?

;)

TFred

fire_man2340

imported post

when he first bought the glock he sine a number on the side whereit discharger's the shell's , that's what he thought was the serial #, but then you look on the side of the gun you can see where it was Scathed Off, this is his 1st gun he really dont know any thing.

Legba

imported post

I think Glock triple-stamps serial numbers - one on the barrel, one on the slide,and one on an aluminum tab on the underside of the frame by the muzzle. Still, I would wager that ATF would interpret defacing of any of them as a deliberate attempt to obscure the identity/origin of the firearm (you can change out the barrels and slides easily enough).

The aforementioned federal law does say "knowingly," but I think you will find ignorance an unworkable defense (especially since acknowledging the condition of the gun in a public forum). If you turn it over to the cops, they will keep it and not pay compensation. If you get caught with it, you're liable tobe prosecuted.

I could call for a ruling from the feds, but they take enough of my weird legal/informational calls as it is. Call your nearest ATF branch for clarification, but I'm not hopeful that there's a way to legally sanitize this piece. Then again, I could be wrong - maybe you only need one intact. I certainly have franken-pistols with mixed and matched components. I think I record the number from the frame as the default serial, and note the others in my records elsewhere.

-ljp

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I'd suggest 'eat' the $250... disassemble the pistol and toss the parts off several different bridges.Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Police contact at this point would be futile... and possibly put ya in the jackpot for a number of reasons. (Buying a handgun... no FFL... S/N obliterated... prob'ly a stolen weapon...) but you know that already. If a deal seems too good to be true... it prob'ly isn't.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

IANAL, but IMHO

If he did not have a sailor involved before, he needs to get one involved now, because unless he turns it in to the police with LOTS of explanationshe will need a sailor to help him "deep 6" this free ticket to prison.

wrightme

imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
when he first bought the glock he sine a number on the side whereit discharger's the shell's , that's what he thought was the serial #, but then you look on the side of the gun you can see where it was Scathed Off, this is his 1st gun he really dont know any thing.

You make it difficult to tell what actually happened.

1) What exactly is "sine a number?"

2) What is "Scathed Off?"

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wrightme wrote:
fire_man2340 wrote:

You make it difficult to tell what actually happened.

1) What exactly is "sine a number?"

2) What is "Scathed Off?"
My guess is #1 is "seen a number"

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fire_man2340,

Based on what others have said, Glocks have the serial number in three spots. On the below the ejection port, on the chamber portion of the barrel (ejection port side), and on the frame in the dust cover area.

Two of the serial numbers are readily visible in this picture.

ETA: Which set of numbers are scratched off?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Doesn't matter how many numbers it has... This pistol had an attempted obliteration of a S/N. That in itself raises the RED Flag. The gun is most very likely stolen. 'Possibly used in a criminal act... up to and including murder. I would assume immediately that the gun is HOT. It was bought 'on the street'... which is another crime. Get rid of it! I mean... don't sell it... destroy it.(OR) Wipe your prints off it... put it in a baggie and mail it to the local cop shop from out of state somewhere. No Fed-Ex... use stamps 'n drop it in a mailbox. Wear gloves when handling the stampsand package. DO NOT KEEP THE GUN!