• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tonto National Forest?

PYRO PSR

imported post

im not sure if its tonto national forest or tonto national park or if they are the same thing, but i know that going east past AJ and before superior there is some open land that u can travel into on a trail and go shooting. my question is: Is it legal to shoot here and dont need a license to carry there?

me812

imported post

I'm not aware of the existence of any Tonto National Park. I'm pretty sure it's Tonto National Forest you're talking about, and I'm also pretty sure you can carry and shoot a gun in national forests as allowed by state law. Otherwise how would people hunt there?

Michigander

imported post

You can target shoot there, but the park rangers are known to ticket people in the dry season for risking starting a brush fire. You can call their office and ask if you can shoot on any given day. Some days you can go there to shoot, some you can't unless you're willing to risk a fine. I don't have their number anymore, but hopefully someone here does.

PYRO PSR

imported post

SO IS IT DRY SEASON RIGHT NOW? I JUST WENT THERE LAST WEEKEND AND WE DIDNT RUN INTO ANY RANGERS BUT WE WERE A BIT SKETCHED OUT IF IT WAS A LEGAL AREA. THERE WERE CASINGS ALL OVER THE GROUND SO WE FIGURED IT WAS LEGAL BUT STILL WASNT TOO SURE.

Michigander

imported post

As I said, you'll need to call them to be sure.

And regardless of whether they say you can or can't, ALWAYS be careful with anything that could start a brush fire. Don't be the idiot they talk about on the news.:?

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Just a note: don't be an irresponsible shooter. Pick up your brass (as well as all of your trash) before you leave, unlike some who appear to have used the area before you did.

(You can drop the brass off at my house, if you like, especially 5.56)

PYRO PSR

imported post

i found out the name of the trail i went shooting at. its called Picketpost Trail. Its close to Superior. I was wondering if anyone has been there or if anyone knows if its a legal spot for shooting?

chrsjhnsn

imported post

PYRO PSR wrote:
i found out the name of the trail i went shooting at. its called Picketpost Trail. Its close to Superior. I was wondering if anyone has been there or if anyone knows if its a legal spot for shooting?
I went shooting in Tonto one winter, no one gives a flying flip, as long as you have a proper backstop and follow the 4 rules.
If you have a ccw you can even carry @ Grand Canyon NP, but Tonto's a nat forest, all the locals shoot there.
You might as well call local forest Ranger headquarters though, can't hurt and they will know a bit more then the locals about the law and how its enforced.