• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Utah have a Stop and ID law?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The way I read it, if you have been suspected of a public offense, then the officer may demand your name and address, but not necessarilly an ID card. Here are the laws for your review.

77-7-15. Authority of peace officer to stop and question suspect -- Grounds.
A peace officer may stop any person in a public place when he has a reasonable suspicion to believe he has committed or is in the act of committing or is attempting to commit a public offense and may demand his name, address and an explanation of his actions.

And if you fail to provide that info...

76-8-301.5. Failure to disclose identity.
(1) A person is guilty of failure to disclose identity if during the period of time that the person is lawfully subjected to a stop as described in Section 77-7-15:
(a) a peace officer demands that the person disclose the person's name;
(b) the demand described in Subsection (1)(a) is reasonably related to the circumstances justifying the stop;
(c) the disclosure of the person's name by the person does not present a reasonable danger of self-incrimination in the commission of a crime; and
(d) the person fails to disclose the person's name.
(2) Failure to disclose identity is a class B misdemeanor.

Don't forget this gem...

77-7-16. Authority of peace officer to frisk suspect for dangerous weapon -- Grounds.
A peace officer who has stopped a person temporarily for questioning may frisk the person for a dangerous weapon if he reasonably believes he or any other person is in danger.
And this one...

77-7-17. Authority of peace officer to take possession of weapons.
A peace officer who finds a dangerous weapon pursuant to a frisk may take and keep it until the completion of the questioning, at which time he shall either return it if lawfully possessed, or arrest such person.

rpyne

imported post

Then, if I am reading correctly, only if you are being detained with "reasonable suspicion".