Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Businesses That are not OK with Firearms

Post imported post

I would like to get a running list of businesses or locations that are NOT ok with OCing. I have a feeling this will be a much longer list than those that are OK with it. This list should also include malls and shopping centers which are multiple businesses in a single location. For now this list could serve to help us know where we may have to secure and store our firearms should we decide to give them our patronage. Or you can decide to not give these businesses your money by not shopping there. Ultimately, I would like us all to try and work to convince these locations to change their policies should they be chain locations. I will update this first post as businesses are added.

Qualifiers:

• You're asked to leave it in your car and lock it up.

• You're asked to leave and not come back because you are carrying.

• There is a large, legible sign posted (as required by law) showing firearms are prohibited on the business's property.

Disqualifiers:

• Someone calls the local badges, store location management says there's no issue and you're still welcome.

List of Businesses and City

Irvine Spectrum Regal Cinemas, Irvine
    Costco, Turlock
    Costco, San Marcos
    TGI Fridays, San Marcos
    North County Fair, San Marcos
    South Coast Plaza Shopping Centers (all 4 corners), Costa Mesa.

Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

Post imported post

Edit: oops i retract my previous statement. Please strike from the records and your memories

Post imported post

Businesses That are not OK with Firearms

State Researcher

Post imported post

Mykal wrote:
    As in it is okay to go to the spectrum OC? Man, PM so we can swap info, ill go.
    This is a list of anti-gun businesses.

Costco (we have at least three locations that report they have a corporate "no-weapon" policy. I was told that if they see any weapon (gun, knife, etc) they are supposed to ask you to leave it in your car.)

In a year of carrying, that's the only business I found that didn't want my money. I really think this will be a shorter list than you think.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

Carrows in Cerritos

State Researcher

Post imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
    Carrows in Cerritos
    They called the cops on an OC'ing patron, resulting in an hour-long detention.

(I think it's important to briefly let us know what they did to make the **** list. Perhaps the OP could be updated to request this info?)
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

I thought a patron called?

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    I thought a patron called?
    Patron complained to management, management called.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

What if different people have different experiences at the same named establishments?
    I have OC'ed at Costco in Mission Valley (San Diego) half a dozen times with no issues.
    I also think there could be different degrees of "unfriendly encounters". For instance, I have carried and been noticed at Food-4-Less a number of times without issue. Recently the night manager approached me and did the "are you a police office" routine. After assuring him that I was not, he said that a customer had expressed concern. I explained the OC "agenda" and reassured him that we always respect property rights and if asked to leave our gun outside we would. He said "I would appreciate if you would do that". I took my gun out to the car and came in to finish my shopping. He asked me, when I came back in, what the legalities were and I was able to fill him in completely.
    At the end it was not clear to me, and it didn't occur to me to ask, if he was asking me to never bring it in or just this visit to alleviate the other customer's concern.
    So, are we talking about published company policy or one encounter with an individual, ignorant employee?

Post imported post

Tom,
    I would say either.... Because chances are after a negative encounter with a store owner/manager it will certainly become company policy, at least at that location. That is why I am wanting to list stores at certain locations. If you can provide a more precise location for any businesses that are against our RTKBA. Personally, I would prefer not to buy from such a store.

They don't respect my rights, I won't support their business. That's the idea.

At least, until we can try to convince them to embrace our rights.

flintlock tom wrote:
    What if different people have different experiences at the same named establishments?
    I have OC'ed at Costco in Mission Valley (San Diego) half a dozen times with no issues.
    I also think there could be different degrees of "unfriendly encounters". For instance, I have carried and been noticed at Food-4-Less a number of times without issue. Recently the night manager approached me and did the "are you a police office" routine. After assuring him that I was not, he said that a customer had expressed concern. I explained the OC "agenda" and reassured him that we always respect property rights and if asked to leave our gun outside we would. He said "I would appreciate if you would do that". I took my gun out to the car and came in to finish my shopping. He asked me, when I came back in, what the legalities were and I was able to fill him in completely.
    At the end it was not clear to me, and it didn't occur to me to ask, if he was asking me to never bring it in or just this visit to alleviate the other customer's concern.
    So, are we talking about published company policy or one encounter with an individual, ignorant employee?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

demnogis wrote:
    Tom,
    I would say either.... Because chances are after a negative encounter with a store owner/manager it will certainly become company policy, at least at that location. That is why I am wanting to list stores at certain locations. If you can provide a more precise location for any businesses that are against our RTKBA. Personally, I would prefer not to buy from such a store.

They don't respect my rights, I won't support their business. That's the idea.

At least, until we can try to convince them to embrace our rights.

flintlock tom wrote:
    I'm having trouble being that "black-and-white" on this issue.
    We have the right to keep and bear arms, they have the right to control what happens on their property. I guess I'm just not an "in your face" kind of guy.
    I want to keep shopping there more than I want my gun on my hip for those 30 minutes. It is not, to me, an unreasonable accommodation.
    I guess we each have to define our own "line-in-the-sand".

Post imported post

Costco San Marcos
    TGI Fridays
    North County Fair

BTW, do signs have any legal weight in this state?

Post imported post

I'm not a big fan of do not patronize lists in CA at this time. You really need political or numerical muscle to make boycotts work and starting a public campaign to bring awareness may just get us negative results right now.

However, a do patronize list rewarding those places where good or neutral experiences happen, I'm 100% behind.

Just My .02 at this time

artwork by oleg volk:

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of do not patronize lists in CA at this time. You really need political or numerical muscle to make boycotts work and starting a public campaign to bring awareness may just get us negative results right now.

However, a do patronize list rewarding those places where good or neutral experiences happen, I'm 100% behind.

Just My .02 at this time

I completely agree.

There will be a time when using the do not patronize list will carry some weight and have an effect on business owners and corporate bureaucracy, but we have a very hard row to hoe in California.

I think rewarding pro-gun businesses with repeated patronage is a good way to go for now.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

I believe having this list, if you want/like to continue to shop you can leave your side arm in the car prior entering. Therefore no disruption on either side.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Since it seems some Costcos don't care, change my above entry to Turlock Costco. I may have to test the water at Modesto Costco now that it appears the "it's corporate policy" was a line to avoid explaining the Turlock store's policy.

Also, as Flintlock Tom pointed out, boycotting is really just an individual effort. I realize we're not going to get attention by doing it. I think Costco wouldn't even notice us unless we protested in front of their building... even then, someone might just think it's a sale on bulk nuts...

However, I do like to know what businesses discriminate. If there is a good substitute, I'd rather give another business my money.

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

The list also serves this purpose.

Mykal wrote:
    I believe having this list, if you want/like to continue to shop you can leave your side arm in the car prior entering. Therefore no disruption on either side.
    Can you please post what city the business is located in?

Thanks!

Post imported post

this is a good idea for a thread maybe we can make a big list of bussinesses in california seperated by city.

Ill definitely bring up the issue to the shoppong mall that i work for as a security guard. the problem is even if its allowed in the mall each seperate store will havetheir own policy.

Post imported post

Post imported post

My Costco has a sign out front, thatsays they will NOT interfere with anyones excersise of their Constitutional rights. I will soon carry there and test their own stated position.

Post imported post

Army wrote:
    My Costco has a sign out front, thatsays they will NOT interfere with anyones excersise of their Constitutional rights. I will soon carry there and test their own stated position.
    Take a pick before entering. Hell, take of pick of you 2A-ing infront of the sign.

Post imported post

Idk if this is being updated but id like to say carrows came back with a letter saying they do not discriminate,etc.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/22765-2.html

Guess its one more flyer to carry when going there.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Mykal wrote:
    Idk if this is being updated but id like to say carrows came back with a letter saying they do not discriminate,etc.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to update. I'd say Carrows should be off the list unless/until any further discrimination occurs.

I encourage everybody to try to hold local meetups at Carrows. Both to reward the company for being not anti-2A, and to test to make sure the location management are getting the corporate policy.

(In the case of Cerritos, I would call ahead and make sure the manager won't call the cops again. I imagine the cops won't care what corporate policy is, so it's important the manager there isn't going to trespass you.)

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Updated.

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Yeah, sorry I forgot to update. I'd say Carrows should be off the list unless/until any further discrimination occurs.

Post imported post

Mykal wrote:

Going to have to drop more weight to create the butt space necessary for all these damned pamphlets, HAHA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast