• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Businesses That are not OK with Firearms

demnogis

imported post

I would like to get a running list of businesses or locations that are NOT ok with OCing. I have a feeling this will be a much longer list than those that are OK with it. This list should also include malls and shopping centers which are multiple businesses in a single location. For now this list could serve to help us know where we may have to secure and store our firearms should we decide to give them our patronage. Or you can decide to not give these businesses your money by not shopping there. Ultimately, I would like us all to try and work to convince these locations to change their policies should they be chain locations. I will update this first post as businesses are added.

Qualifiers:

• You're asked to leave it in your car and lock it up.

• You're asked to leave and not come back because you are carrying.

• There is a large, legible sign posted (as required by law) showing firearms are prohibited on the business's property.

Disqualifiers:

• Someone calls the local badges, store location management says there's no issue and you're still welcome.

List of Businesses and City

Irvine Spectrum Regal Cinemas, Irvine
Costco, Turlock
Costco, San Marcos
TGI Fridays, San Marcos
North County Fair, San Marcos
South Coast Plaza Shopping Centers (all 4 corners), Costa Mesa.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mykal wrote:
As in it is okay to go to the spectrum OC? Man, PM so we can swap info, ill go.
This is a list of anti-gun businesses.

Costco (we have at least three locations that report they have a corporate "no-weapon" policy. I was told that if they see any weapon (gun, knife, etc) they are supposed to ask you to leave it in your car.)

In a year of carrying, that's the only business I found that didn't want my money. I really think this will be a shorter list than you think.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

What if different people have different experiences at the same named establishments?
I have OC'ed at Costco in Mission Valley (San Diego) half a dozen times with no issues.
I also think there could be different degrees of "unfriendly encounters". For instance, I have carried and been noticed at Food-4-Less a number of times without issue. Recently the night manager approached me and did the "are you a police office" routine. After assuring him that I was not, he said that a customer had expressed concern. I explained the OC "agenda" and reassured him that we always respect property rights and if asked to leave our gun outside we would. He said "I would appreciate if you would do that". I took my gun out to the car and came in to finish my shopping. He asked me, when I came back in, what the legalities were and I was able to fill him in completely.
At the end it was not clear to me, and it didn't occur to me to ask, if he was asking me to never bring it in or just this visit to alleviate the other customer's concern.
So, are we talking about published company policy or one encounter with an individual, ignorant employee?

demnogis

imported post

Tom,
I would say either.... Because chances are after a negative encounter with a store owner/manager it will certainly become company policy, at least at that location. That is why I am wanting to list stores at certain locations. If you can provide a more precise location for any businesses that are against our RTKBA. Personally, I would prefer not to buy from such a store.

They don't respect my rights, I won't support their business. That's the idea.

At least, until we can try to convince them to embrace our rights.

flintlock tom wrote:
What if different people have different experiences at the same named establishments?
I have OC'ed at Costco in Mission Valley (San Diego) half a dozen times with no issues.
I also think there could be different degrees of "unfriendly encounters". For instance, I have carried and been noticed at Food-4-Less a number of times without issue. Recently the night manager approached me and did the "are you a police office" routine. After assuring him that I was not, he said that a customer had expressed concern. I explained the OC "agenda" and reassured him that we always respect property rights and if asked to leave our gun outside we would. He said "I would appreciate if you would do that". I took my gun out to the car and came in to finish my shopping. He asked me, when I came back in, what the legalities were and I was able to fill him in completely.
At the end it was not clear to me, and it didn't occur to me to ask, if he was asking me to never bring it in or just this visit to alleviate the other customer's concern.
So, are we talking about published company policy or one encounter with an individual, ignorant employee?

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

demnogis wrote:
Tom,
I would say either.... Because chances are after a negative encounter with a store owner/manager it will certainly become company policy, at least at that location. That is why I am wanting to list stores at certain locations. If you can provide a more precise location for any businesses that are against our RTKBA. Personally, I would prefer not to buy from such a store.

They don't respect my rights, I won't support their business. That's the idea.

At least, until we can try to convince them to embrace our rights.

flintlock tom wrote:
I'm having trouble being that "black-and-white" on this issue.
We have the right to keep and bear arms, they have the right to control what happens on their property. I guess I'm just not an "in your face" kind of guy.
I want to keep shopping there more than I want my gun on my hip for those 30 minutes. It is not, to me, an unreasonable accommodation.
I guess we each have to define our own "line-in-the-sand".

cato

imported post

I'm not a big fan of do not patronize lists in CA at this time. You really need political or numerical muscle to make boycotts work and starting a public campaign to bring awareness may just get us negative results right now.

However, a do patronize list rewarding those places where good or neutral experiences happen, I'm 100% behind.

Just My .02 at this time

artwork by oleg volk:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

cato wrote:
I'm not a big fan of do not patronize lists in CA at this time. You really need political or numerical muscle to make boycotts work and starting a public campaign to bring awareness may just get us negative results right now.

However, a do patronize list rewarding those places where good or neutral experiences happen, I'm 100% behind.

Just My .02 at this time

I completely agree.

There will be a time when using the do not patronize list will carry some weight and have an effect on business owners and corporate bureaucracy, but we have a very hard row to hoe in California.

I think rewarding pro-gun businesses with repeated patronage is a good way to go for now.

Mykal

imported post

I believe having this list, if you want/like to continue to shop you can leave your side arm in the car prior entering. Therefore no disruption on either side.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Since it seems some Costcos don't care, change my above entry to Turlock Costco. I may have to test the water at Modesto Costco now that it appears the "it's corporate policy" was a line to avoid explaining the Turlock store's policy.

Also, as Flintlock Tom pointed out, boycotting is really just an individual effort. I realize we're not going to get attention by doing it. I think Costco wouldn't even notice us unless we protested in front of their building... even then, someone might just think it's a sale on bulk nuts... :lol:

However, I do like to know what businesses discriminate. If there is a good substitute, I'd rather give another business my money.

demnogis

imported post

The list also serves this purpose.

Mykal wrote:
I believe having this list, if you want/like to continue to shop you can leave your side arm in the car prior entering. Therefore no disruption on either side.
Can you please post what city the business is located in?

Thanks!

poothrowingape

imported post

this is a good idea for a thread maybe we can make a big list of bussinesses in california seperated by city.

Ill definitely bring up the issue to the shoppong mall that i work for as a security guard. the problem is even if its allowed in the mall each seperate store will havetheir own policy.

Army

imported post

My Costco has a sign out front, thatsays they will NOT interfere with anyones excersise of their Constitutional rights. I will soon carry there and test their own stated position.