Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Examiner.com: New DC Law Suit Filed over rejection of gun based on color of gun

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    214

    Post imported post

    Oh NO! Not a bi-tone pistol! They're the really bad ones!!

    Yeah, I can't for any reason see why DC shouldn't have representation in Congress. When will the madness stop?

  3. #3
    Regular Member CrossFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Irving, Texas, USA
    Posts
    408

    Post imported post

    trailblazer2003 wrote:
    Oh NO! Not a bi-tone pistol! They're the really bad ones!!

    Yeah, I can't for any reason see why DC shouldn't have representation in Congress. When will the madness stop?
    Thats why all my pistols are either solid black stainless. I have always heard that thos evil bi-tones were just to unpredictable prone to extreme violence.:what:

  4. #4
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    I am certain that the color of the gun comes under that heading of "commonsense gun laws" that we hear so much about.

    I have a dream that my four Glocks will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their Tenifer...
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  5. #5
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    Shotgun wrote:
    I am certain that the color of the gun comes under that heading of "commonsense gun laws" that we hear so much about.

    I can't wait to see Paul Helmke explain away that one.



    photo by oleg volk:

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757

    Post imported post

    I really like this lawsuit.

    Not only will this case dispose of the 'copycat' DC restrictions, but such a ruling in DC will make the'original'California law presumptively unconstitutional (not that it isn't already obvious).

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    And this great summary from the Post:

    --

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/09/AR2009030903240.html?sub=AR





    U.S. DISTRICT COURT
    Handgun's Color Leads to Lawsuit

    By Martin WeilWashington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009; Page B04




    A D.C. woman filed suit in U.S. District Court yesterday, claiming that the city would not let her register a pistol because of its color.


    Tracey A. Hanson argued that her application to register a .45-caliber semiautomatic was denied because the gun is not on the California Safe Handgun Roster, which is the standard in the city.

    Hanson tried to register a two-tone, stainless steel/black pistol, according to the suit. But the list has that model in olive drab green, dark earth or black, not in two-tone, stainless/black, the suit asserts. Hanson said rejection for that reason "seemed so arbitrary."

    The lawsuit, which lists Hanson and two other people as plaintiffs, was filed by Alan Gura, who argued the Supreme Court case that overturned the city's handgun ban. Arbitrary requirements bring "nonsensical results," Gura said. The suit asks that the city be barred from enforcing gun regulations based on the California list.

    Peter Nickles, the city's attorney general, said he had not seen the lawsuit and could not discuss its details.



    But he said he is confident that the D.C. regulations are "completely appropriate" under the Second Amendment.



  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    And this:

    --

    http://www.dcexaminer.com/local/40983407.html

    D.C. rejects woman’s handgun over color
    By Scott McCabe
    Examiner Staff Writer 3/9/09
    A D.C. woman claims she was banned from registering her .45-caliber handgun in the District because the weapon was “the wrong color.”
    Tracey Ambeau Hanson was one of three city residents who filed a lawsuit against the District on Monday that challenges a city handgun regulation prohibiting handguns not on a list of handguns approved by the state of California.
    The trio is being represented by Alan Gura, the Alexandria attorney who successfully argued the U.S. Supreme Court case that overturned the District’s 32-year ban on handguns.

    According to Gura, the District bases its list of approved handguns on the California Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale. Hanson’s Springfield XD-45 was on the government’s approved roster of guns, but hers was black and silver, the attorney said.
    The law only permits that Springfield model if it’s one of the approved colors: black, green or brown, Gura said. "[H]er bitone version is supposedly 'unsafe.’ ”

    Hanson said she just wants be able to own a handgun without interference from the D.C. government.
    "Do we really need a gun-fashion police?” she asked.

    District officials did not immediately respond Monday to requests for comment.
    Another plaintiff had her gun application denied because its manufacturer had not paid a fee to California to keep the gun on the California gun roster.

    In June, the Supreme Court tossed the District’s ban on handguns, holding for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to self-defense and gun ownership.

    In the wake of that ruling, the District enacted new regulations for gun ownership. The District requires firearms owners to renew their registrations every three years, take a safety course and undergo a background check every six years.


  9. #9
    Regular Member romma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southeast, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    Those blatantGun Racists!!



    I dream of a day where a gun will not bejudged by the color of it's slide and frame, but by the content of it's caliber...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    Gun fashion police... seriously? They really want to go there?

  11. #11
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770

    Post imported post

    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    SFCRetired wrote:
    does anyone else get the impression that the inmates are now running the asylum?
    The rule of fool by fools that is democracy?

  13. #13
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    So what are you supposed to do with your "un-registerable" gun? Sell it on the street?

    TFred


  14. #14
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    So what are you supposed to do with your "un-registerable" gun? Sell it on the street?
    Practice random individual sovereignty and senseless acts of liberty.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    And now AP:
    http://wtop.com/?nid=596&sid=1620534



    Woman claims gun denied in D.C. because of color March 10, 2009 - 4:11pm


    WASHINGTON - A D.C. woman has sued the city, claiming officials would not let her register a handgun because of its color.

    According to the suit filed Monday in U.S. District Court, Tracey Hanson tried to register a two-tone, stainless steel and black pistol. But the .45-caliber semiautomatic was denied because it doesn't appear on the California Safe Handgun Roster. The roster only lists that model in olive drab green, dark earth or black.

    The lawsuit was filed by Alan Gura, who argued the Supreme Court case that overturned D.C.'s handgun ban. The suit, which also lists two other plaintiffs, asks that D.C. be prohibited from enforcing gun regulations based on the California list.

    City officials said they had not seen the lawsuit and could not discuss it.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    Practice random individual sovereignty and senseless acts of liberty.
    Here's a motto, a good one that we can live with.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    580

    Post imported post

    I bet Abe Lincoln and MLK are rolling over in their graves at the blatant racial prejudice over the color of ones gun. May be that could be a new saying for us "Judge me for whoI amand not the color of my gun".

    This case is so ridicules that any right minded judge would stop and ask what is wrong with these people. But we are talking about DC officials so who knows. They may find that the paper the lawsuit is writtenon isof the wrong paper quality and toss it out.
    AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233

    Post imported post

    They should all be found to be in "Contempt of Court" and sequestered until the Judge is ready to confer with them on this matter.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    darthmord wrote:
    Gun fashion police... seriously? They really want to go there?
    Well, we are talking about Kalifornia, right? Does this truly surprise you?

  20. #20
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    Riana wrote:
    darthmord wrote:
    Gun fashion police... seriously? They really want to go there?
    Well, we are talking about Kalifornia, right? Does this truly surprise you?
    No, we are talking about Washinton D.C. making some weasley piece of no good legistlation that lets Kalifornia determine what guns are legal in Washington DC.

    My apologies to any weasles offended by my characterization.

    JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Butler, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    118

    Post imported post

    trailblazer2003 wrote:
    Yeah, I can't for any reason see why DC shouldn't have representation in Congress. When will the madness stop?
    OT: It is unconstitutional.

  22. #22
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    CrossFire wrote:
    trailblazer2003 wrote:
    Oh NO! Not a bi-tone pistol! They're the really bad ones!!

    Yeah, I can't for any reason see why DC shouldn't have representation in Congress. When will the madness stop?
    Thats why all my pistols are either solid black stainless. I have always heard that thos evil bi-tones were just to unpredictable prone to extreme violence.:what:
    Its true, just the other day my bi-tone jumped out and slapped me in the face.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    Mi Niece has a Glock in Hot Pink, Anyone know if it's one of the bad ones?

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    214

    Post imported post

    Striketeam491 wrote:
    Mi Niece has a Glock in Hot Pink, Anyone know if it's one of the bad ones?
    Not sure but thought I saw somewhere only black, brown and possibly green. Those hot pink ones sound very dangerous.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    Maybe a unit of the Virginia Militia ought to ride into DC and take over the local government by main force of arms. On the other hand, hell no. Just keep them on their side of the Potomac and I'm a happy camper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •