• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: New DC Law Suit Filed over rejection of gun based on color of gun

trailblazer2003

imported post

Oh NO! Not a bi-tone pistol! They're the really bad ones!!

Yeah, I can't for any reason see why DC shouldn't have representation in Congress. When will the madness stop?

CrossFire

imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
Oh NO! Not a bi-tone pistol! They're the really bad ones!!

Yeah, I can't for any reason see why DC shouldn't have representation in Congress. When will the madness stop?
Thats why all my pistols are either solid black stainless. I have always heard that thos evil bi-tones were just to unpredictable prone to extreme violence.:what:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I am certain that the color of the gun comes under that heading of "commonsense gun laws" that we hear so much about.

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]I have a dream that my four Glocks will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their Tenifer...[/font][/font]

cato

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I am certain that the color of the gun comes under that heading of "commonsense gun laws" that we hear so much about.

I can't wait to see Paul Helmke explain away that one.:lol:

photo by oleg volk:

OC4me

imported post

I really like this lawsuit.

Not only will this case dispose of the 'copycat' DC restrictions, but such a ruling in DC will make the'original'California law presumptively unconstitutional (not that it isn't already obvious).

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

And this great summary from the Post:

--

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/09/AR2009030903240.html?sub=AR

U.S. DISTRICT COURT
Handgun's Color Leads to Lawsuit

By Martin WeilWashington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 10, 2009; Page B04

A D.C. woman filed suit in U.S. District Court yesterday, claiming that the city would not let her register a pistol because of its color.

Tracey A. Hanson argued that her application to register a .45-caliber semiautomatic was denied because the gun is not on the California Safe Handgun Roster, which is the standard in the city.

Hanson tried to register a two-tone, stainless steel/black pistol, according to the suit. But the list has that model in olive drab green, dark earth or black, not in two-tone, stainless/black, the suit asserts. Hanson said rejection for that reason "seemed so arbitrary."

The lawsuit, which lists Hanson and two other people as plaintiffs, was filed by Alan Gura, who argued the Supreme Court case that overturned the city's handgun ban. Arbitrary requirements bring "nonsensical results," Gura said. The suit asks that the city be barred from enforcing gun regulations based on the California list.

Peter Nickles, the city's attorney general, said he had not seen the lawsuit and could not discuss its details.

But he said he is confident that the D.C. regulations are "completely appropriate" under the Second Amendment.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

And this:

--

http://www.dcexaminer.com/local/40983407.html

D.C. rejects woman’s handgun over color
By Scott McCabe
Examiner Staff Writer 3/9/09
A D.C. woman claims she was banned from registering her .45-caliber handgun in the District because the weapon was “the wrong color.”
Tracey Ambeau Hanson was one of three city residents who filed a lawsuit against the District on Monday that challenges a city handgun regulation prohibiting handguns not on a list of handguns approved by the state of California.
The trio is being represented by Alan Gura, the Alexandria attorney who successfully argued the U.S. Supreme Court case that overturned the District’s 32-year ban on handguns.

According to Gura, the District bases its list of approved handguns on the California Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale. Hanson’s Springfield XD-45 was on the government’s approved roster of guns, but hers was black and silver, the attorney said.
The law only permits that Springfield model if it’s one of the approved colors: black, green or brown, Gura said. "[H]er bitone version is supposedly 'unsafe.’ ”

Hanson said she just wants be able to own a handgun without interference from the D.C. government.
"Do we really need a gun-fashion police?” she asked.

District officials did not immediately respond Monday to requests for comment.
Another plaintiff had her gun application denied because its manufacturer had not paid a fee to California to keep the gun on the California gun roster.

In June, the Supreme Court tossed the District’s ban on handguns, holding for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to self-defense and gun ownership.

In the wake of that ruling, the District enacted new regulations for gun ownership. The District requires firearms owners to renew their registrations every three years, take a safety course and undergo a background check every six years.

romma

imported post

Those blatantGun Racists!!

I dream of a day where a gun will not bejudged by the color of it's slide and frame, but by the content of it's caliber...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

And now AP:
http://wtop.com/?nid=596&sid=1620534

Woman claims gun denied in D.C. because of color March 10, 2009 - 4:11pm

WASHINGTON - A D.C. woman has sued the city, claiming officials would not let her register a handgun because of its color.

According to the suit filed Monday in U.S. District Court, Tracey Hanson tried to register a two-tone, stainless steel and black pistol. But the .45-caliber semiautomatic was denied because it doesn't appear on the California Safe Handgun Roster. The roster only lists that model in olive drab green, dark earth or black.

The lawsuit was filed by Alan Gura, who argued the Supreme Court case that overturned D.C.'s handgun ban. The suit, which also lists two other plaintiffs, asks that D.C. be prohibited from enforcing gun regulations based on the California list.

City officials said they had not seen the lawsuit and could not discuss it.

Bullbuster

imported post

I bet Abe Lincoln and MLK are rolling over in their graves at the blatant racial prejudice over the color of ones gun. May be that could be a new saying for us "Judge me for whoI amand not the color of my gun".

This case is so ridicules that any right minded judge would stop and ask what is wrong with these people. But we are talking about DC officials so who knows. They may find that the paper the lawsuit is writtenon isof the wrong paper quality and toss it out.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

They should all be found to be in "Contempt of Court" and sequestered until the Judge is ready to confer with them on this matter.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Riana wrote:
darthmord wrote:
Gun fashion police... seriously? They really want to go there?
Well, we are talking about Kalifornia, right? Does this truly surprise you?

No, we are talking about Washinton D.C. making some weasley piece of no good legistlation that lets Kalifornia determine what guns are legal in Washington DC.

My apologies to any weasles offended by my characterization.

JoeSparky