• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL status

Jblack44

imported post

SmallWhiteBox wrote:
I tried it when mine was processing and it didn't work. I ended up calling them, but the people on the other end didn't know anything either.

Why am I not surprised :banghead:

just checked and all it says is PENDING. Lots of info there! lol

malignity

imported post

There's a similar one for Macomb County too.

I thought there was a law that said after a certain amount of days (I can't remember how many exactly) the gun board MUST issue or deny your CPL license. I can't find exactly where that is in my Firearms Laws of Michigan book at the moment, however, I've been waiting 3 months for mine, which I'm pretty sure is longer than the required.

SmallWhiteBox

imported post

springerdave wrote:
28.425b sec.(13) Subject to Subsections (10 and (14)...shall issue or deny....45 days....springerdave.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple.
"(13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10)."

Here are sections 9 and 10.
(9) An individual, after submitting an application and paying the fee prescribed under subsection (5), shall request and have classifiable fingerprints taken by the county sheriff or a local police agency if that local police agency maintains fingerprinting capability. If the individual requests that classifiable fingerprints be taken by a local police agency, the individual shall also pay to that local police agency a fee of $15.00 by any method of payment accepted by the unit of local government for payments of other fees and penalties. The county sheriff or local police agency shall take the fingerprints within 5 business days after the request.
(10) The fingerprints shall be taken, under subsection (9), on forms and in a manner prescribed by the department of state police. The fingerprints shall be immediately forwarded to the department of state police for comparison with fingerprints already on file with the department of state police. The department of state police shall forward the fingerprints to the federal bureau of investigation. Within 10 days after receiving a report of the fingerprints from the federal bureau of investigation, the department of state police shall provide a copy to the submitting sheriff's department or local police agency as appropriate and the clerk of the appropriate concealed weapon licensing board. Except as provided in subsection (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall not issue a concealed pistol license until it receives the fingerprint comparison report prescribed in this subsection.

So, here's the breakdown in the CPL process.
(0 days) 1. Assuming you qualify for the CPL, you submit your application.
(5 days) 2. Fingerprints are taken within 5 days. (Occurs same day as 1 usually)
(0 days) 3. Fingerprints are immediately forwarded to the state police.
(? days) 4. Fingerprints are checked and forwarded to FBI, no time limit.
(? days) 5. FBI does their checks and forwards results back to MSP, no time limit.
(10 days) 6. MSP forwards the report back to the local issuing agency.
(45 days) 7. Local agency issues/denies permit, but this time limit only starts after they receive the report from the MSP.

So, steps 4 and 5 can theoretically take as much time as they 'need'. So if you can somehow find out what step they are at (good luck), and they happen to be on step 6, then you could 'gently remind' them of the time limits required by law. Otherwise, you sit and wait. For reference, I received my CPL after about 4.5 months in Wayne County.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A LAWYER

malignity

imported post

Can you explain by chance why I have to go in front of the gun board and tell them why I need my CPL (and possibly have to miss work because of this), despite Michigan being a 'shall issue' state? That seems to me only like a reason to weed people out if they don't give the 'correct answer', regardless of what the law says. It's been a long and rather slow process, getting my CPL, but in the long run I know it'll be worth it. I guess I just don't understand the process as well as I thought I did.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

MCL28.425a Concealed weapon licensing board; membership; quorum; voting; clerk; authority and duties; panel; investigation of license applicant; temporary license; compilation of firearms laws by legislative service bureau; distribution; statement.

(snip)
(7) The concealed weapon licensing board may investigate the applicant for a license to carry a concealed pistol. The investigation shall be restricted to determining only whether the applicant is eligible under this act to receive a license to carry a concealed pistol, and the investigation regarding the issuance of a license shall end after that determination is made. The concealed weapon licensing board may require the applicant to appear before the board at a mutually agreed-upon time for a conference. The applicant's failure or refusal to appear without valid reason before the concealed weapon licensing board as provided in this subsection is grounds for the board to deny issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol to that applicant.
(snip)

SQLtables

imported post

I had to go in front of a board too. In theory, they cannot consider your reason for getting a CPL in their decision to approve or deny it. I answered "because I can". I wasn't a jerk, we kind of joked, but still, the answer really isn't supposed to be weighted in the decision. I also had to list 3 of the off-limits places. Even if I didn't know, I'm not sure they really could deny my application... I don't know.

But yes, the board is annoying. My girlfriend and I both had to take off work and spend the morning at the courthouse. Our appointments were like 2 hours apart, but the board was nice enough to let me go in with her and get it over with.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I was ignorant, not that I am not now, and went in front of the board myself I was thinking to myself that it felt like the "meet and make sure we aren't giving this permit to a complete freaking whackjob" part of the application process. Here in rural michigan I wasn't surprised to have to go in front of the board, but I am surprised in the metro areas that they have the time to do this effectively. I don't think the meeting was completely useful, but I also didn't feel that it was unreasonable of a request either.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
When I was ignorant, not that I am not now, and went in front of the board myself I was thinking to myself that it felt like the "meet and make sure we aren't giving this permit to a complete freaking whackjob" part of the application process. Here in rural michigan I wasn't surprised to have to go in front of the board, but I am surprised in the metro areas that they have the time to do this effectively. I don't think the meeting was completely useful, but I also didn't feel that it was unreasonable of a request either.
...Shall not be infringed.

bb

imported post

The above link to check on cpl in wayne county must work, My wife checked it and it saidyour concealed weapon application status: APPROVED

THE CCW APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED. YOUR APPLICATION EXPIRES ON XX/XX/2013

She applied for it on 1/7/09, pretty quick, she has not received a notice to pick it up yet.

Jblack44

imported post

bossbart wrote:
The above link to check on cpl in wayne county must work, My wife checked it and it saidyour concealed weapon application status: APPROVED

THE CCW APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED. YOUR APPLICATION EXPIRES ON XX/XX/2013

She applied for it on 1/7/09, pretty quick, she has not received a notice to pick it up yet.
good news!...it worked for me stating that it's pending. I applied about a month after your wife, so I would hope to hear something in about 30days.

bb

imported post

u should check back in about a month. thats pretty good for wayne county 2 months,when i applied 4 years ago it took me 6 months. i have to get mine renewed this year, it expires in nov. i will submit my renewal about first week in august to be sure.

bb

imported post

u should check back in about a month. thats pretty good for wayne county 2 months,when i applied 4 years ago it took me 6 months. i have to get mine renewed this year, it expires in nov. i will submit my renewal about first week in august to be sure.

CaptBW

imported post

When I went before the Benzie County board they were unaware that it was a renewal. Thought it was an original. But they were cool. Love small towns.