• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Shooting

Armed

imported post

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/hampton/dp-local_shooting_0310mar10,0,1078750.story

Four arrested over Hampton shooting

HAMPTON — - Three men and a juvenile have been arrested over an incident last week when two people were shot at in Hampton.

Police spokeswoman Cpl. Allison Quiñones said on March 4 at 4:49 p.m. two men were walking in the area of Shell Road and Concetta Street, when two vehicles pulled up near them.

"Five male subjects got out of both vehicles and began shooting at the two victims. One of the victims, a 20-year-old Hampton man, was shot in the face. The other victim began shooting back at the group," Quiñones said.

The man who was shot in the face remains in a local hospital being treated for his injuries, Quiñones said.

On Saturday police arrested Wayne Barrett, a 20-year-old Hampton man, Michael Bethel, 20, from Hampton, Ricky Calloway, 19, from Hampton and a 16-year-old Hampton male juvenile.

Each was charged with maiming, conspiracy to commit maiming and use of a firearm while in commission of a felony. The juvenile was also charged with possession of a firearm by a juvenile.

Active warrants for maiming, conspiracy to commit maiming and use of a firearm while in commission of a felony are on file for Isiah Malik Palmer, a 19-year-old Newport News man, with a last known address on 33rd Street.

The victim who shot back at the assailants, Stephon Bumphus, 20, from Hampton arrested and charged with discharging a firearm within the city limits and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute [emphasis added], Quiñones said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Hampton police at 727-6111 or Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

Neplusultra

imported post

TFred wrote:
First Frederick and now this, it is becoming abundantly clear that in Tidewater Virginia, drug dealers are not allowed to defend themselves.

TFred
I guess they "want" them to shoot each other, perhaps a strategy to clean up the area? At best (worst?) he should be charged with concealing a handgun, assuming he didn't have a CHP.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

The victim who shot back at the assailants, Stephon Bumphus, 20, from Hampton arrested and charged with discharging a firearm within the city limits and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute [emphasis added], Quiñones said.

I love how the police can know what people are thinking with that intent to distribute crap.

Neplusultra

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:

I love how the police can know what people are thinking with that intent to distribute crap.
That's hard to say from the information in the article. If you have more than "X" amount of a drug on you the law assumes you have intent to distribute. There are a few possible ways around this but it's up to you to prove it.

Learned this from a homie while in jail :^). Easily 80-90% of them were in there because of some drug charge.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Oh brother....

It has to do with predetermined quantities in the Code and how things may be found packaged or kept. Its got nothing to do with the police playing mind reader.

I once arrested a girl with 30 individually wrapped crack rocks hidden in her bra. That's a bit much for personal consumption. Hell, that's more than a "party pack".

Read The Code of Virginia, the new best seller from your local legislator! In book storesnow!